Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Swing your partner and face the sides... as we square dance around in Legend of Grimrock

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Almost Human Games; Legend of Grimrock

You may have heard of Legend of Grimrock. After watching a YouTube video and getting interested, then finding out that it was only $15, I thought I'd grab it and see what's it like:

Enemies move in the same manner you do. That is, they turn, then step forward into the square in front of them and if necessary (such as when you've retreated sideways), turn again and repeat. Taking advantage of this allows you to gain advantages for attacking an enemies' flank or rear (double and sometimes even triple damage). Of course this results in you spending most of your time square dancing around enemies as you move backwards and sideways, they turn to walk into the square you just left, opening up their flank, you attack their flank... rinse and repeat.

This movement system did trip me up from time to time, hitting a wrong key and falling down a trap or trying to walk into a wall instead of running away and being killed as a result. And if you intend to play Melee characters, then you will be dancing like this with your enemies most of the time. Despite the quirkiness and confusion in sometimes getting turned around, it is pretty fun - at least a lot more interesting than playing whack-a-mole in your average Bethesda RPG. The only downside is that once you've got the hang of it, it can get a bit tiring. Some levels even have traps which you can take advantage of, such as luring opponents onto a pit and then triggering it to open so that they fall down to the level below (where you can eventually deal with them later).
[...]
Oh and be aware: If you're playing the game in Steam, Steam has an annoying habit of popping up it's messages "Dickwad is playing some dumb popamole game" RIGHT OVER THE WIZARD'S CASTING AREA. FUCK YOU HABA. I DIED BECAUSE YOU PLAYED DARK SOULS RIGHT WHEN I WAS TRYING TO CAST FIREBALLS.​

Read the rest of our Legend of Grimrock review.

Last edited by a moderator:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Oh and be aware: If you're playing the game in Steam, Steam has an annoying habit of popping up it's messages "Dickwad is playing some dumb popamole game" RIGHT OVER THE WIZARD'S CASTING AREA. FUCK YOU HABA. I DIED BECAUSE YOU PLAYED DARK SOULS RIGHT WHEN I WAS TRYING TO CAST FIREBALLS.
:lol:

But yeah, even thought combat is extremely exploitable and there are some retarded design decisions here and there, the game is definetly good and I'm looking foward to the level editor as well.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Just a heads-up - the level editor is available in beta form right now and there are already a lot of custom dungeons available (no idea if they are any good though).

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Yeah, only if you bought it on Steam though. :( As opposed to the $7 off GOG sale. :)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spells aren't "saved" so you have to re-select runes every-time. Add that to square-dancing and you can imagine moments of clicking the wrong rune and having your spell fizzle - or just not being able to get the spell out quick enough.
Even simple spells that require the selection of a single rune (such as the classic "ball of firey death" that wizards like to typically throw around in these types of games), can get seriously tedious. There's nothing quite like trying to move the mouse hurriedly over the cast button, hitting another rune by mistake and having a failed spell as something big green and hairy is chowing down on you.

If the runes of previously cast spells stayed "selected", so that you could just hit cast again, it would be a big improvement.
It's been a while since I've played this (still need to finish too :oops: ), and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall than the game remembers last spell combination used and You can easily re-cast it with one click.

Also, why didn't You disable Steam to play the game? I understand You got Grimrock from GOG?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
This review left me snappin' fingers and tappin' toes. It also reminded me I've had this game on my HDD since the day it was released, and I still haven't checked it.

Also,

Rogue's get missile weapons and special assassination abilites (such as double-damage when attacking an enemies' rear)

there are soom rooms

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game is tons of fun! I finished it with default party, started another playthrough with
Toorum
. Highly recommended!

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
It's been a while since I've played this (still need to finish too :oops: ), and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall than the game remembers last spell combination used and You can easily re-cast it with one click.
Unless they've updated it, no, no it doesn't.

Also, why didn't You disable Steam to play the game? I understand You got Grimrock from GOG?
Playing it through Steam was the only way to get screenshots.

Disable Steam in-game overlay.
This. Or disable those notifications. Or just go in offline mode (which is actually a fullly functional invisible mode as far as you still have an internet connection).

But yeah, even thought combat is extremely exploitable
The combat isn't really "exploitable", as that's exactly how you are supposed to play it. There are even puzzles based on that.

Yeah, only if you bought it on Steam though. :( As opposed to the $7 off GOG sale. :)
Bought from the developer's site in preorder for 10 bucks.
DRM-free copy *plus* Steam serial. Best of both worlds, really.

Donaroriak

Augur
Project: Eternity
This review strikes me as strangely un-monocled for the Codex. Ok, there are the obligatory jabs at popamole modern consoles, but since the reviewer never played any old-school blobbers in the first place, it seems like his heart is not in it...

catfood

AGAIN
But yeah, even thought combat is extremely exploitable
The combat isn't really "exploitable", as that's exactly how you are supposed to play it. There are even puzzles based on that.
OK for dancing around, but I doubt that exploiting doors was intended...
Maybe it wasn't, but if it hadn't been for this particular exploit, fighting spiders on the third level would have meant a whole new definition of pain.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I bought it on the summer sale and thus far fun is mixed with rage. Who the fuck made it real time with necessity of selecting a spell EVERY GODDAMN TIME. I've to click click click click even to use the last spell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom