Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Tacticular Cancer Interview: Eador: Masters of the Broken World

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Eador: Masters of the Broken World; Snowbird Game Studios; Tacticular Cancer Interview

We've had a chance to talk to Vladimir Tortsov of Snowbird Game Studios about their upcoming Eador: Masters of the Broken World. A game that has taken inspiration from such genre staples as Master of Magic, Civilisation and Heroes of Might and Magic III. Naturally that piqued our interest so we set out to get as much out of Vladimir as we could. Here are a few snippets to wet your appetite.

Could you tell us a little bit about Eador: Masters of the Broken World, its back story, inspirations and gameplay elements?

Eador. Masters of the Broken World is a 3D-remake of an earlier 2D-game, originally released in Russia in 2010. The game looked nice and the press ratings were great, but, of course, these days you can’t expect too much in terms of sales from a 2D turn-based strategy not even featuring any animations. Development of the 3D Eador was started in 2011 by newly established Snowbird Game Studios.

The original 2D prototype of Eador was developed by one person (with a little help of his friends) – Alexey Bokulev. Alexey has worked on that game for 3 years; it was his ‘dream game’ combining many cool features from his favorite strategy titles – Sid Meier’s Civilization, HoMM III and Master of Magic.

Alexey has joined Snowbird to work on the international release of Eador. Masters of the Broken World as lead game designer. Our goal with this game is to preserve the best features of the original while improving the gameplay experience by introducing new elements and adjusting game mechanics.​

There seem to be quite some rpg aspects to Eador, could you elaborate on these? Will there be apart from leveling up for instance also quests? Shall we be able to send our heroes into dungeons for loot and experience?

Role-playing element lies in almost everything you do in the game - the way you conduct politics, economics, how you approach to dealing with other Masters. Your individual strategy will personalize your presence in the world of Eador, and will eventually lead you to an ending that befits your behavior.

That being said, nothing is fully predictable and each play can be unique.

There are no specific quests for you as a Master, but you are always able to order your heroes to explore the provinces you control. Eventually they’ll discover different places of interest, such as ancient crypts, forgotten temples and monster lairs. By commanding your heroes to enter these locations, you trigger a battle between their armies and the guardians of the place. If your heroes triumph, they’ll gain some experience and often find some hidden treasure.

Then there are monasteries of the Lord of Light, always hell-bent on mass genocide of those poor zombies or imps, magic shop owners ever looking for rare and grisly ingredients for their craft, non-human races demanding some kind of service before they consider joining you in your struggle - your heroes will have little rest between all these tasks.​

The original Eador had a huge campaign. Is the campaign for this sequel comparable to that one? How long should the campaign take for new players? Will you be able to play random games or skirmish ones as well?

One of the goals we originally had when we started this project was to condense the campaign, making it shorter but more interesting and involving. We didn’t want to see the players getting burned out barely midway through the campaign. So, comparing to the first game, Masters of the Broken World proceeds faster but still feels epic in scope. Our rough estimation is that it would take about 60 hours for a new player to complete the campaign successfully. To fail it though, he would need significantly less time :)

And sure, you’ll be able to play skirmish games too. The random map generator is able to build shards of immense size unheard of in the campaign, pitting all 16 Masters against one another.​

Read the full interview for more about the gameplay, a possible release of the original game on GOG and more!

Read the full article: Tacticular Cancer Interview: Eador: Masters of the Broken World

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It seems to be working well now. Earlier I was getting an 'I' icon on it (using Chrome). Anyway, thanks. On to reading.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just finished reading. The game sounds ridiculously good. I especially like the clever deconstruction of Civilization-like leaders - nation leaders living through centuries and watching countless generations be born and die are explained as immortal demigods. Simple but brilliant.
Really looking forward to this one.

Great interview! I'm glad this got a bit of a spotlight, as I'm looking forward to this game very much. Everything I read about it sounds very anti-dumbing down, and great. They went the right route. Instead of usual popamole and dumbing down and simplifying and reducing options, they try to put in more features and give more options but make them interesting. Perhaps finally I'll play a worthy successor to glorious MoM... :bounce: And the game looks good too. :incline:

Does anyone know is this game "greenlighted" on steam?

Also the release date? End of 2012? Or 2013?

Also the release date? End of 2012? Or 2013?

Did you read the interview to the end? They say it's still scheduled for 2012.

The game looks pretty nice indeed. And good interview.

I did, but they said they're aiming for 2012, and in the interview they said they still want to implement some stuff (like desert areas etc. and something else, can't remember), and there is only little more than 2 months left, so I'm wondering if it is possible to do that AND publish the game... :?

I don't see this having any competition, from what I've seen Fallen Enchantress can't even compete... :troll:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Yes, I am also disappointed in what Fallen Enchantress looks to be so far (did not play myself, only read hoverdog 's LP), while Eador seems much more interesting.

There is also Warlock Master of the Arcane, but I've only read a little bit about it. Anyone knows how it compares to Eador?

Yes, I am also disappointed in what Fallen Enchantress looks to be so far (did not play myself, only read hoverdog 's LP), while Eador seems much more interesting.

There is also Warlock Master of the Arcane, but I've only read a little bit about it. Anyone knows how it compares to Eador?

IMO it's similar to Civ 5, only with a fantasy twist. I didn't like it very much (but I didn't like Civ 5 much too), and Eador seems much more MoM/Heroes like to me than Warlock. And essentially it's Eador that I put all my hopes in since all others have disappointed. :D

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Warlock takes a bit from everything. It is essentialy a mix of Civilization V, Fantasy Wars (it's made by its devs) and Master of Magic, but without the depth of any of those. Battles aren't as tactical as in FW, magic as developed as in MoM, and empire management as involving as in Civs (granted, I haven't played the last one). It's a fun little game, but I can't shake the feeling that it could use some more complexity. The AI is great though.

catfood

AGAIN
I want to believe. Honestly, I'm not too keen on the HOMM style battle map, but everything else sounds really good. I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

I want to believe. Honestly, I'm not too keen on the HOMM style battle map, but everything else sounds really good. I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

Looks more like a king's bounty battle map to me. What kind of battle map would you prefer? I mean, even glorious MOM had similar style battle map like heroes.

catfood

AGAIN

Looks more like a king's bounty battle map to me. What kind of battle map would you prefer? I mean, even glorious MOM had similar style battle map like heroes.
I was thinking of a bigger map such as the one in AOW series, where the map is bigger and there are more objects are present. Also, in AOW more than two opponents could take part in a battle. Every adjacent hex of the attacked hex would partake in combat, and since a stack can hold a maximum of 8 units, a battle can have a maximum of 8x7=56 combatants. Maybe this game will have a similar feature, but I don't recall it being mentioned in the interview.

belated

Augur
Just a shame the actual battlefields in AoW2/SM were reduced in size. Too often I'm reminded that the battle takes place on the enemys enchanted roads by his knights decimating my ballistas.

Also really looking forward to this game.

catfood

AGAIN
Also what the fuck did I just write up there? Meh, I'm too lazy to edit it anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom