Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Publisher Exploiting An Obsidian Kickstarter

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: Kickstarter; Obsidian Entertainment

Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart has revealed that an unnamed publisher tried to use his company to exploit an Obsidian Kickstarter project:

"We were actually contacted by some publishers over the last few months that wanted to use us to do a Kickstarter," he revealed on his team's own KS page. "I said to them 'So, you want us to do a Kickstarter for, using our name, we then get the Kickstarter money to make the game, you then publish the game, but we then don't get to keep the brand we make and we only get a portion of the profits.'

"They said, 'Yes'."

It seems it has begun. Publishers are now noticing the large impact of Kickstarter games and want to exploit it for their own profits, and only to the benefit them, not the Developer. Thankfully Feargus laughed at them and then started their own successful Project Eternity Kickstarter. 100% Publisher Scam Free.

Spotted at: destructoid http://www.destructoid.com/publishers-accused-of-trying-to-exploit-kickstarter-235292.phtml

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Unsurprising given the number of shitty publishers Obsidian has been in bed with in the past. Probably Bethesderp.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I find this pretty unsurprising. Publishers were bound to try to get in on it eventually, and let's be honest, Obsidian have kind of been patsies for publishers throughout most of their existence. I suppose it just means that projects should be vetted more carefully going forward as Kickstarter becomes bigger.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I find this pretty unsurprising. Publishers were bound to try to get in on it eventually, and let's be honest, Obsidian have kind of been patsies for publishers throughout most of their existence. I suppose it just means that projects should be vetted more carefully going forward as Kickstarter becomes bigger.
Agreed, but I don't think it will be hard. If it's an unknown developer no way a publisher does anything with them, so we shouldn't have to worry about that. It's the mid-tier developers like Obsidian that we have to watch. Personally, I think it should be pretty easy to judge from the pitches if there is a publisher behind them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It was likely CD Projekt.
Unsurprising given the number of shitty publishers Obsidian has been in bed with in the past. Probably Bethesderp.

You're both wrong.

Herve.jpg

Black

Arcane
Do we have something like "favourite a thread" function? I want to add this one.
Damn, Obsidian just can't get a break from publishers.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Oh to see the look on Feargus' face when he replied:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!

<silence> Sorry but no. We'll keep in touch.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
It seems it has begun. Publishers are now noticing the large impact of Kickstarter games and want to exploit it for their own profits, and only to the benefit them, not the Developer. Thankfully Feargus laughed at them and then started their own successful Project Eternity Kickstarter.

Nobody can be this stupid. There should have been other conditions involved, like additional funding. If not they are the dumbest people on earth...

Lumpy

Arcane
It seems it has begun. Publishers are now noticing the large impact of Kickstarter games and want to exploit it for their own profits, and only to the benefit them, not the Developer. Thankfully Feargus laughed at them and then started their own successful Project Eternity Kickstarter. 100% Publisher Scam Free.l

The capitalist publishers are exploiting the developing classes!

This is absurd. There's no way that publishers could 'exploit' Kickstarter to the detriment of developers, because the only way any developer would accept such an offer is if the publisher offered some genuine benefit in return. In this case, they clearly didn't, so the whole attempt was utterly stupid.

But if this Kickstarter fad continues to grow, it's not implausible that some sort of 'oversight companies' will come to fulfil a traditional publisher's role - vouching for the quality of the project by putting their name behind it, making up for budget shortfalls if the amount raised proves insufficient, and making sure the games actually get released. Even in that case, I very much doubt they would be able to extract 100% of the profits from the developer - it'd probably be some small percentage of the total revenues.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. Publishers can handle cost-overruns whereas developers cannot. Let's wait and see how many of these kickstarter developers fail to deliver on their promised games. I bet you the guys who did donate, to such a failed project, will wish that there was a publisher in the background that would have given the studio the other half of the budget. I mean, if the publisher only has to take half, or less, of the risk wouldn't they be more open to riskier projects, like turn-based RPGs?

It's times like this when you wish 'gaming journalism' actually had some semblance of real journalism... if just to get to the bottom of this story and expose the publisher in question. The butthurt (and ensuing disaster control) would be priceless.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
But if this Kickstarter fad continues to grow, it's not implausible that some sort of 'oversight companies' will come to fulfil a traditional publisher's role - vouching for the quality of the project by putting their name behind it, making up for budget shortfalls if the amount raised proves insufficient, and making sure the games actually get released. Even in that case, I very much doubt they would be able to extract 100% of the profits from the developer - it'd probably be some small percentage of the total revenues.
Expect this to happen within the 2013 time frame. A publisher could really make quite a buck by picking up projects that overran their budget.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
It's times like this when you wish 'gaming journalism' actually had some semblance of real journalism... if just to get to the bottom of this story and expose the publisher in question. The butthurt (and ensuing disaster control) would be priceless.
Unsolicited investigative journalism is dead. Period. Even when one considers "real" journalism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom