Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk Leave Bioware (and Gaming Industry)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: BioWare; Electronic Arts; Greg Zeschuk; Ray Muzyka

BioWare co-founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk have announced they are retiring from BioWare and leaving the industry altogether. Both have written blog posts to explain their retirement. Ray is moving on to social entrepreneurship in the hope "of helping the world to be a better place":

With the growth of BioWare to multiple locations as part of a public company, following two decades of multiple successful product launches across many platforms and business models, I’ve largely personally achieved what I wanted in videogames; I now desire to take on a brand new entrepreneurial challenge. I believe strongly in the power of free enterprise to enable sustainable change, so my next ‘chapter’ will likely focus on an entirely new industry, something exciting, different and frankly downright scary – investing in and mentoring new entrepreneurs, and more specifically, the field of social/impact investing. There’s a good description of the goals of this form of entrepreneurship here. Impact investment, or social entrepreneurship, can range from simply thinking about social goals along with the usual business profit goals, all the way to a dedicated focus on a social entrepreneurship portfolio with the social impact defined as the primary goal. For me, getting involved in social impact investment stems from the simple hope of helping the world to be a better place. To that end, I’ll also be spending time getting involved with more charities in education, health care, and animal rights, areas where my wife and I’ve typically focused our charitable donations in the past. I am also spending more time learning about the work being done to defend human rights and civil liberty across the world. Net, I am passionate about both entrepreneurship and social liberty, and I want to find a way to pursue both of them.​

Meawhile Greg is moving on to... beer:

Some of you will be curious what I’ll be doing next, and I can state that I’m not going to be working in games for a while, and there’s a strong possibility that I won’t be back. After my departure I’m going to be spending significant time with family and friends, as well as pursuing some personal passion-driven projects related to craft beer. The main project I will be working on is a web-based interview show called The Beer Diaries where I interview notable brewers and showcase their beers. If things go well, I’ll work on other beer-related shows, apps and projects. If not, I’ll have drunk a lot of tasty beers and may be back in games or even something else completely different. Ultimately time will tell.​

No wonder they're both moving on, given that there basically is no Bioware anymore.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Reading these two blogs makes me really uneasy, I hate reading goodbye/retirement messages for some reason.

Oh well, I guess it was really time for them to move on and leave this sinking ship.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Tis' but a confirmation of what we've known all along.

Still, there is some potential for hilarious butthurt on the BSN.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
iAjVtLQXYtifu.gif

So how long till the official liquidation?Should we start placing bets?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Meh, nothing will change. I'd be surprised if they had any real input after they sold out to EA. My guess is that they had a contract with EA to be over paid figureheads for a few years and then they can leave.

kaizoku

Arcane
The tides are changing my friends.

A new era of incline (and less decline) has begun.

Black

Arcane
What a shame :jc:
Maybe now they'll pursue their careers as "doctors" that they supposedly are :smug:
^More like... Crooked.

Notorious

Augur
Everyone told them they are fucking idiots for doing swtor. Everyone told them they were fucking idiots for joining EA. Well they knew better...

Fens

Ford of the Llies
at least they get to do "passion-driven" things now *sigh*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom