Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Steam Greenlight to become the new Kickstarter?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Inquisitor; Swen Vincke

Larian Studio's Swen Vincke posted another blog entry about Steam Greenlight and the recently released (the english version) cRPG Inquisitor. Here's a snippet:
A few days ago I received a mail from the friendly bunch behind the recently released Inquisitor, an old school RPG with a lot of heart & depth, but dated visuals & usability. I promised them that I was going to have a look at it, and if I liked it, do what little I can to help them spread the word about their Steam Greenlight campaign. For those who live on a different planet, Steam Greenlight is Valve’s recently released platform where users can vote if a game is worthy of being sold on Steam.

Does it look old school ? Yes it looks old school. Do I like old school ? Yes I like old school.

Other than Inquisitor looking like a neat RPG, there’s two interesting things that picqued my interest about this and got me writing: Inquisitor has been in development for more than 10 years , and it’s one of the first games in its genre to compete in the newly installed survival of the fittest competitition going on the world’s biggest digital platform for PC games.

At the time of writing this, Inquisitor is at 4% of the amount of votes it needs to be featured on Steam, which is better than the 1% yesterday, but still far off from the goal they need to reach to be published on Steam.You can vote for them by clicking here (and you actually should)

I still didn’t get round to playing Inquisitor myself, but David, one of Larian’s enigmatic producers did, and his verdict was that it played like it looked – it takes a getting used to, but then it feels as familiar as any of the great RPGs of old. He told me this after only a couple of hours in, but I felt that was sufficient to convince me that here was a RPG worth an old-school RPG player’s attention. I already liked the setting of the game as well as the art style, and from what David told me, it seems the depth is certainly there. ( David’s profession by his own definition is to whine, so if he endorses something, in general it means it’s ok, at least if you like the games David does )

Why not? So I went over to Steam and clicked yes.

Thanks abnaxus.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:decline: I thought Gabe was considering integrating crowd-funding into Greenlight. Misleading thread.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Everything I've read about it has led me to believe that Inquisitor is typical Euro-shovelware, though I imagine the developer of Beyond Divinity can sympathize. I'm not going to support something just because it "looks old school" and kinda plays like a Diablo-clone.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The title is very misleading, it's not like you do anything to contribute to the development of a game - you just help get the game on Steam after or on release. Also, voted for AoD the day it was added.

Achilles

Arcane
I think that Greenlight adding Kickstarter-style funding is only a matter of time. They already have everything in place, the ability to post concepts on Greenlight is coming soon, now it's just a matter of asking people to pay upfront for a game they want to see made. Besides, Gabe had forseen crowdfunding way before Double Fine's Kickstarter.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Nope. There will be only one Kickstarter, unless somebody else buys them.

There was a study about internet success stories and the conclusion was that people tend to settle for one brand for each feature:
Mail - Yahoo
Search - Google
Socializing - Facebook
Games - Steam (they are profitable as fuck)
Crowd-funding - probably Kickstarter, but is too soon to say.
The guys from Kickstarter really hit a gold mine and they will be stupid to let it go.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

There was a study about internet success stories and the conclusion was that people tend to settle for one brand for each feature:
Mail - Yahoo

Eh, what? That does not fit my experience at all.

EG

Nullified

Mail - Yahoo

Eh, what? That does not fit my experience at all.

Think back to the glorious year 1997 . . .

For me it's a draw between Outlook and GMail . . . At least Outlook doesn't have ads . . .

Achilles

Arcane
The guys from Kickstarter really hit a gold mine and they will be stupid to let it go.

They won't have a choice. All Valve has to do is heavily promote the new service on the store front page and guarantee a place on Steam for every successfully funded game. Kickstarter will be dead for games within three months.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If it happens, it's only to the good. KS needs some high profile competition to tone down their ridiculous 5% (?) margin for making some amazon payments.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

They won't have a choice. All Valve has to do is heavily promote the new service on the store front page and guarantee a place on Steam for every successfully funded game. Kickstarter will be dead for games within three months.

You might enjoy the salty taste of Gabe's balls, but in reality publishing and crowd-funding have little in common. In other words, Valve can try, but Kickstarter will not suffer because of it. Maybe they will improve in the direction of game fund investments (with shares and shit).

If it happens, it's only to the good. KS needs some high profile competition to tone down their ridiculous 5% (?) margin for making some amazon payments.

Kickstarter takes 5%, Amazon takes 5%. Which means that for each 1mil$, they earn 100k$. And together is 10%, much less than 30% requested by Steam.

Achilles

Arcane
In other words, Valve can try, but Kickstarter will not suffer because of it. Maybe they will improve in the direction of game fund investments (with shares and shit).

I don't know, 50 million users is a pretty big advantage for Steam. I really think that Kickstarter is going to die for games if Valve decides to move in that direction.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
In other words, Valve can try, but Kickstarter will not suffer because of it. Maybe they will improve in the direction of game fund investments (with shares and shit).

I don't know, 50 million users is a pretty big advantage for Steam. I really think that Kickstarter is going to die for games if Valve decides to move in that direction.

Perhaps. But there is no point in discussing about what would might happen in the future.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
There is a massive legal hurdle that is limiting the spread of KS, so theoretically if someone is able to overcome that before KS does... Unlikely though.

Also: title is misleading and OP is a fag.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah don't get the title at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom