Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Josh Sawyer and The Black Hound

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Black Isle Studios; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; The Black Hound

Josh Sawyer has put up another blog post, this time on The Black Hound, that famous RPG project he was working on which never saw the light of day. Have a snippet:

In the course of following our countdown over at Obsidian, a lot of gamers have been discussing past IPs we've worked with. One of the common subjects is The Black Hound, a project some of us at OEI worked on at Black Isle. It's also something I worked on as a NWN2 mod in my spare time. There's a Wikipedia entry for it and a few lore sites kicking around. Some of the info on it is accurate and some isn't, but I think the details are less important than what we were trying to do with it. I can't speak for everyone who was on the project, of course, but TBH was important to me for a lot of reasons.

[...] I've been rambling here a bit but let me get back to the main point: The Black Hound wasn't really *~ sUbVeRsIvE ~* "this ain't your daddy's RPG!" fantasy. It had elven ruins and fire genasi and Ilmaterian paladins and Maztican sorcerers and crypts full of undead -- all the stuff that made the Forgotten Realms the crazy blend of hardass adventurer-heavy, gods-mess-with-things, cults-and-dracoliches-under-this-rock D&D fantasy it always has been. I, and I think we all, just tried to approach the world with open eyes, asking, "Okay, so let's suppose all of this stuff about the Realms is true. What does that really mean for how the people in it live their lives?" It made the world more dark and grim, and sometimes that consideration wound up bucking convention, be we didn't set out to invert fantasy conventions just for the sake of doing it.

I regret that the team wasn't able to complete The Black Hound, and not just because of the time and passion we all invested in it. Some of my best tabletop RPG (and CRPG) memories come out of the Forgotten Realms. Huge, crazy, "how many more Volo's Guides can there be?" Forgotten Realms. I think those scenarios were memorable because the DMs/designers made compelling scenarios and the players gave a damn about each other and what was going on. If you take fantasy for granted, yeah, no one's going to get much out of it. I don't think we took anything for granted. We had an opportunity to make something that celebrated high fantasy without being enslaved by its conventions. In retrospect, there are a bunch of personal design choices I look back on and cringe at, but I don't regret the time I spent on it at all. When you enjoy the process of making something that much, it's hard to consider it time wasted. We had a lot of fun while it lasted.​

I guess this means the upcoming announcement isn't about The Black Hound Kickstarter, then. Or...?

Stinger

Arcane
That was a great read. I always like reading Sawyer's writeups and how he goes into detail about the reasons behind certain design choices. Whether or not I agree with him, I certainly respect where he's coming from.

Shame it won't be Black Hound but that just makes things even more interesting cause now I genuinely have no clue.

It's not IWD3, it's not TBH, unless it's Defiance I've got no bloody idea.

Unless sea telling the truth when he said it was a Family Guy RPG. "What do the words mean?" "Boy that reminds me of the time I was stuck singing the Dirge of Eir Glanfath with Ray Charles at a Mexican restaurant."

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That was a nice read and it gives important clues about the new Obsidian project. Looks like it is going to be some high fantasy stuff. May not be D&D related (unless it actually is Torn), but I expect it to have at least dungeons, if not dragons too.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That was a nice read and it gives important clues about the new Obsidian project. Looks like it is going to be some high fantasy stuff. May not be D&D related (unless it actually is Torn), but I expect it to have at least dungeons, if not dragons too.
TORN has nothing to do with D&D. To me, the setting looks like a combination of Planescape and Age of Decadence. Planescape because the whole eternity/trying to break out of a cyclical existence/etc. and Age of Decadence because of the "Two centuries ago, your divine champion told the people of Dyrwood to grovel at his feet. If you've come on pilgrimage to the blasted crater that was our reply, Godhammer Citadel is *that* way." hint. The whole "the blasted crater that was our reply" thing makes me think of the fact that, although, on the surface, it seems a low fantasy/fantasy setting, it is actually a post-apocalyptic setting of an advanced civilization, just like in Age of Decadence.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
That dude may still wind up casting chain lightning on townsfolk, but if we weave a compelling story around him, the player should feel that there's more to him than that.
Chain lightning on townsfolk... Now that's evil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom