Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Diablo III Plot Analysis at Gamasutra

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Blizzard Entertainment; Diablo III

Gamasutra offers a blog post dealing with "The Plot Holes of Diablo 3" that focuses on 4 points in which Diablo III's plot logic is faulty. It is, of course, fairly spoiler-y, so read at your own risk. Here's a taste:

1. Faulty World Logic:

One of the biggest challenges when creating a fantasy setting is defining the rules of the world. In a real world setting, the writer already has this taken care of. But a misconception is that just because the world is based in fantasy that things don't have to make sense.

If in the first 10 minutes the story declares that only Orcs can use magic, then having every single race cast spells two hours in is an example of lazy writing. One of the hallmarks of a great writer is being able to create a universe or setting that stays consistent in the rules established.

Each Harry Potter movie did a good job in showing how the world works. By taking place in Hogwarts, it allows both the main characters and the audience to see firsthand the rules of the setting. How potions work, spells are cast and the laws of the society for example.

Now, setting up world logic doesn't mean you have to explain how everything works to the audience, only the relevant parts matter. For example, I'm a huge fan of the works of Miyazaki and one area that his movies excel in, is the setting. Each movie takes place in a completely unique setting with its own rules, laws and people. The stories never truly explain how the entire world works, only the parts that fit into the narrative and character’s lives.

In Howl's Moving Castle, Howl knows a number of people from before the events of the movie, but the audience is never told just exactly how he knows these people. Instead, we find out their motivations for how they respond to Howl in the present and how it affects the world.

With that said we can turn out attention to Diablo 3 for this point. The problems with Diablo 3 are that the logic of the world is never really explained or fits with the narrative.

First off, it's never made understood why returning enemies: The Butcher, Izual, and The Skeleton King were brought back to life after being defeated in previous games. Diablo gets a pass for being reborn in Leah's body, but it's to our understanding that once a demon is killed, they're gone for good.

Speaking about the Skeleton King, his whole appearance in Diablo 3 is full of plot holes. Why is he a ghost for the first encounter? What happened to the person he cursed? And why is the crown so important to defeating him?

What was the entire point about the sin hearts, and why were there only two of them? The game throws different objects and people into the story, but they're never explained why they are important. What exactly did the catapults do that would turn back an entire army of demons for instance. Or why we needed to save the angel of hope.

The more plot elements that aren't explained, leads to plot holes and logical inconsistencies that can ruin a story. What's worse is that if the back-story of the world isn't set, it can lead to the writers adding more layers to an already shaky foundation, which takes us to the next point.​

Click here to read the rest of the article.

Thanks Gamebanshee

Baron

Arcane
The players of Diablo like clicking on things and that sense of accomplishment that only comes from becoming supremely rich with imaginary wealth. I doubt the plot registered with them let alone its inconsistencies.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
D3 has shitty graphics, shitty gameplay, and shitty writing. News at 11.

Go play Path of Exile instead. The story is not strong in that one either, but not as retarded as D3.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are many plot holes in D3, but presence of The Butcher was actually handwaved in the game lore by the explanation that there are many "Butcher" demons in hell, and the one from original Diablo, was a different specimen than the one from D3.

Meaning = shit article, author did not even do the research.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hmm ? I always thought the plot of Diablo was about this obsessive compulsive hoarder guy that gets lost in a medieval shopping mall. Unfortunately his hoarding mania gets the better of him and he goes on a killing frenzy in order to obtain as many items as he can from the shop owners. His ultimate goal is to reach Diab Lowe, the general manager of the establishment, who has the keys for the returned-items warehouse.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Hmm ? I always thought the plot of Diablo was about this obsessive compulsive hoarder guy that gets lost in a medieval shopping mall. Unfortunately his hoarding mania gets the better of him and he goes on a killing frenzy in order to obtain as many items as he can from the shop owners. His ultimate goal is to reach Diab Lowe, the general manager of the establishment, who has the keys for the returned-items warehouse.
Blizzard should hire this man.

Esquilax

Arcane
Jesus Christ, this is stupid. Pointing out the logical inconsistencies in Diablo III just reeks of neckbeards over-analyzing a bunch of bullshit so that they can feel smart. The real problem with Diablo III, at least plot-wise, is that it has none of the mystery or atmosphere of the first game since it relies so heavily on cinematics. The first game had a minimal plot that served the purpose well: one adventurer going down to the depths of Hell to fight evil itself.

... And since evil never dies, the hero at the end succumbs to it. There is no resolution, evil must always exist. Simple, and it works beautifully.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Another retcon has to do with Adria, who at the end of act 3 uses demonic magic to wipe the floor with an entire group of solders, Tryeal and the player. Whenever we met Adria, she has not shown any use of magical powers, nor does she show any after this event.
Yeah, obviously a character named Adria THE WITCH being able to use magic is absurd. I find impressive how D3 has so many flaws yet this guy can miss so much...

What would have been a much deeper reveal would be if Leah over the course of the game became evil on her own and betrayed the group, instead of her mother enacting a plan, years in the making. More importantly, it would allow the designers to create a new threat instead of just reintroducing another form of Diablo.
On this I have to agree...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
What a self-indulgent article. Story in Diablo 3 is ancillary, not unlike the previous games, and while it's no excuse to not try to do something better it simply fills its role. Not only does writing this article involve very little risks, but the worst part is that it doesn't reveal anything of depth. All that I read in it, I read it on various forums, including this one, during the first few weeks that followed Diablo 3's release. Plus some of his points are debatable and all he can name-drop is Howl's Moving Castle, would you believe that!

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
There are many plot holes in D3, but presence of The Butcher was actually handwaved in the game lore by the explanation that there are many "Butcher" demons in hell, and the one from original Diablo, was a different specimen than the one from D3.

Meaning = shit article, author did not even do the research.
That sounds more like Blizzard pulled a shitty hand-wave/retcon, and they should be called out for it. If they give an explanation that's stupid, it's still a stupid explanation.

Yeah, obviously a character named Adria THE WITCH being able to use magic is absurd. I find impressive how D3 has so many flaws yet this guy can miss so much...
The issue isn't that she's a witch, it's that Blizzard rely on characters pulling magical eleventh-hour superpowers out of their asses in order to make the plot work. A similar example is Maghda, who is able to apparently teleport anywhere, anytime, who can summon demons at will, who can easily kill when granted cutscene power, but never, ever uses these abilities to actually harm the player except for when the plot requires a Heroic Death(TM) or whatever. It's just fucking hack writing, period, and frankly inexcusable considering the resources and development time that Blizzard have at their disposal.

I mean, Diablo and Diablo II had simple plots that didn't matter much in the grand scheme, but at least they made sense, didn't have gaping holes and nonsensical bullshit every ten minutes, and actually accomplished their goals with respect to gameplay (drive you forward to defeat Diablo while filling you with a sense of growing dread and doom). Diablo III tries so much harder and can't even achieve that because you are constantly questioning the motives and actions of every single character, reeling at every single retarded retcon, cringing at the horrendously bad dialogue, and sifting through bullshit Warcraft-style lore that sounds like an eighth-grader came up with it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Rinoa becomes Ultimecia due to her immortality and the grief she suffers over the loss of her loved one and the protagonists are stuck in an eternal time loop, doomed to experience everything over and over again.

Ultimecia is called Artemisia in the European release, and her katakana can be transcribed as such. Artemisia II of Caria is a mythical figure of Greek times.

She is renowned in history for her extraordinary grief at the death of her husband (and brother) Mausolus. She is said to have mixed his ashes in her daily drink, and to have gradually pined away during the two years that she survived him.

The game is much better this way.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Diablo 3 has one of the worst stories ever conceived, which is especially funny given how much attention they paid it.Saturday morning cartoons and drunken D&D adventures provide more excusable plot lines than Blizzard's latest offering did. Even George Lucas must feel better about himself now.

Black

Arcane
Azmodan was the best thing about D3 plot.
A MINOR SETBACK

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Diablo was the same way. Lords of Darkness? More like Lords of Vegetables.

EG

Nullified
Since when is Diablo about the stupid plot?

Oh wait, I know the answer to that one: ever since stupid shooters and the likes are all about the "narrative".

Even The Brazilian Slaughter knows that one.

As I remember it, I played the game mainly for the new dialog that revealed more about the cathedral and Tristram. So, I guess, since 1996.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Since when is Diablo about the stupid plot?

Oh wait, I know the answer to that one: ever since stupid shooters and the likes are all about the "narrative".

Diablo is has never been about stupid plot, but the plot it had supported the gameplay and the setting. The abomination in Diablo 3 could not support a good night story for children. In fact, it actually manages to detract from gameplay and demolishes the setting completely. I feel absolutely no inclination whatsoever to touch Diablo franchise ever again. Till the end of my days I won't know the answer to the question: where did all those money that went into the development of the damn thing go?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom