Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News McLean and McComb on writing for Wasteland 2

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Colin McComb; Patrick McClean; Wasteland 2

It seems the latest two additions to the Wasteland 2 team have written some stuff about working on the game. First off to join was novelist Colin McComb, and he writes:

I woke up to an email from Eurogamer’s Bertie Purchese on Sunday morning telling me that I’d made the headlines.

My first reaction was, of course, “Oh no, they found the bodies!”

My second (and probably more reasonable) reaction was to check Google for the headlines in question. Man, Bertie wasn’t kidding. It was a little scary to see myself mentioned so prominently in hundreds of articles, many of which were written by legitimate people and not content farmers.

To keep my ego from swelling too much, I quickly scanned a couple of comments sections and managed to remind myself that not everyone shares an optimistic view of my talents. I find that this keeps me from being too overconfident, and likewise keeps me from taking myself too seriously. I should mention that of the positive comments, my favorite was the one that said the Wasteland 2 team is like the Avengers of RPG design; I call dibs on Nick Fury, because he and I have the same hairstyle.

Obviously, we need to keep the hype in check. There’s no point in jacking up expectations to the point where it’s impossible to meet them. So let’s get this put out front and center: This is a game. Granted, it’s a game written by a lot of people with a long history in the industry, and that means we have definite ideas about should go into games. The flip side of this is that we have definite ideas about what should go into games, and those ideas might not always accord with expectations other people have. You might like what we’re going to do. You might hate it. But remember: it’s just a game. We’re going to work very hard on it, and you might find it really fun. You might not. *I* think it’ll be great.​

A couple of days later, Patrick McClean joined. He also has stuff to say about joining the Wasteland 2 team, and here's a snippet:

I’ll be posting more about this game, this process, what I know and am learning about game design, but to wrap it all up – there are two reasons why this game is very, very, very likely[1] to be mind-blowingly amazing.

1) It’s kickstarted.

Which means that Brian has a chance to make a very unique game. The gaming industry is, well, an Industry. So it’s hard to make things with flair, passion and craft. Watch the video on the kickstarter site and you see what I mean.

2) Everybody involved is serious about taking the curse off.

Games, especially RPG’s, feel stalled. Worse, some genres seem to be moving backwards. You can argue that there is less role-playing in RPG’s now. They may look better, but the core mechanic and the core beats of the story haven’t evolved. (Seriously, you another resource-gathering quest?)​

Make sure to read the rest of what McClean has to say over at his blog thing.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Well, I don't like the comment: "It's just a game".

You can put 'just' in any sentence to make something looks like shit:

'It's just a book'; 'It's just a movie'; 'No dear, don't worry, it's just a nuclear blast'....

Rather than that, I'd like their enthusiasm.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
To keep my ego from swelling too much, I quickly scanned a couple of comments sections and managed to remind myself that not everyone shares an optimistic view of my talents. I find that this keeps me from being too overconfident, and likewise keeps me from taking myself too seriously.
Ooh, he noticed me.

Colin, hey Colin! I liked quite a few of your wife's basslines from her Jack Off Jill days. There, something positive.

EG

Nullified
So much enthusiasm.
So much praise.
So much rationalization for a bleak future.

We're doomed.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
To keep my ego from swelling too much, I quickly scanned a couple of comments sections and managed to remind myself that not everyone shares an optimistic view of my talents. I find that this keeps me from being too overconfident, and likewise keeps me from taking myself too seriously.
Ooh, he noticed me.

Colin, hey Colin! I liked quite a few of your wife's basslines from her Jack Off Jill days. There, something positive.
This requires more explanation.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Well, I don't like the comment: "It's just a game".

You can put 'just' in any sentence to make something looks like shit:

'It's just a book'; 'It's just a movie'; 'No dear, don't worry, it's just a nuclear blast'....

Rather than that, I'd like their enthusiasm.

Actually, it's rather refreshing to see someone take a few staps back, and not have their head up their ass about what they're doing. Bioware has demonstrated brilliantly what happens when you think you're making something more than just a game

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Ooh, he noticed me.

This requires more explanation.

This is his wife

l.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Moulder

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
can't stand that sort of gothpop. urk urk urk.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Oh, I think that's a bit harsh. Whenever I listen to Swedish radio stations I mostly tend to hear crap like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6svcpi5xHE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jW59m6Nsxs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5qURKt4maw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmQZT12pzXc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYlH_p_4ic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic

In comparison, that song Roguey posted above is quite nice. Would even have fitted right in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, as it is similar in style to what those surfer thinbloods were listening to.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Sounds pretty good to me. Sure beats everything they play on the radio these days.
You got access to so much good music in Sweden, why would you listen to fucking radio?

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Most of the time I am subjected to it against my will (at work, in shops, at other people's places and so on) but I do also occasionally turn on the radio while driving, naively hoping for something not-too-awful to be on so as to help me cope with the boredom of watching nothing but other cars and the highway for hours on end.

I suppose I really should man up and purchase some kind of scientifmagick portable device to let me play whatever music I like.

EG

Nullified
Most of the time I am subjected to it against my will (at work, in shops, at other people's places and so on) but I do also occasionally turn on the radio while driving, naively hoping for something not-too-awful to be on so as to help me cope with the boredom of watching nothing but other cars and the highway for hours on end.

I suppose I really should man up and purchase some kind of scientifmagick portable device to let me play whatever music I like.

Far too much effort and money for something that equates background noise.

Repressed Homosexual
Why are they focusing so much effort on writers? Wasteland is a game where the story is communicated implicitly by the environment itself, not in a Biowarian way. A game where most of the "story" is just the player's interactions within the game world. This begins to worry me. I at least hope that the designers will keep them in check.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Why are they focusing so much effort on writers?

Because what the writers have to write is precisely what you're talking about ?
Because before it gets properly implemented, the game is a written design doc ?

Fargo has stated several times that the writers of his team would have entire areas in charge, not just texts.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, writers are also designers in this case, each responsible for his or her own area(s) in the game. The more writers, the more areas to explore, which is a good thing -- provided they can actually implement everything.

EG

Nullified
And it just isn't going to be Wasteland . . .

It's going to be KotOR 2: Wasteland 2.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
*opens door*

whining, irreverent nonsense, off-topic uselessness...

*closes door*

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I thought you preferred off-topic since discussing graphics in a topic about a screenshot was also very bad.
Or does everybody have to blowjob inXile so you're finally satisfied and not whine about whining anymore?

Fucking fanboys of unreleased games. They're the worst.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Yes, writers are also designers in this case, each responsible for his or her own area(s) in the game. The more writers, the more areas to explore, which is a good thing -- provided they can actually implement everything.
So is who is gona make sure that it's coherent, if everybody is having his fun house?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom