Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News BioWare on how to monetise players

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 3

BioWare's Fernando Melo explains on GDC Europe why Day 1-DLC makes a lot of sense. For BioWare.
Day-one DLC makes business sense, Melo continued, as it meant that writers and concept artists who had finished their jobs on Mass Effect 3 could be put back into work immediately - while their colleagues continued on the main game.

In Melo's eyes, another form of day-one DLC is the Online Pass, although new copies of the game may ship with the content. 11 per cent of all Mass Effect 2 DLC revenue came from the Online Pass, content that had already been planned for as an incentive to new customers.

"An analogue [to the Online Pass] is free-to-play games, or games with a premium layer of service," Melo added, name-checking Call of Duty Elite and Battlefield Premium. An Online Pass could be seen similarly, as an 'out-of-the-box premium service'.

Mass Effect 3 also added micro-transactions to the franchise. The game lets players spend real-life money unlocking multiplayer content such as weapons and character classes, allowing users faster access than by simply using in-game currency.

"If you have five DLC packs at $10 each, you can only ever earn a total of $50," Melo explained. Micro-transactions allow the "potential for more" player spending, and give gamers the ability of extra "choice".
It's all about offering more choice.

Stinger

Arcane
I'm more disturbed by Eurogamer's impartial tone to this bullshit.

ironyuri

we all wanted choices and consequences. bioware delivers yet again.

Morkar Left

It's interesting how much they lost touch with reality when they think it's a good idea to talk about such bullshit openly.
It's like Al Capone talking in a radio interview about his security business.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Gamers are actually happier, as they are able to spend money when they want.

We are happier... because we... are able to spend money? We are happier... happier... because we could't spend money without DLC's, because DLC's are out right after game is out... but we would't be able to be happier if there were't an option to spend more money on a game which we just bought...

...I don't get it. I think I need some sort of new gen Bullshit-English dictionary. Somebody help me.

:notsureifserious:

waywardOne

Arcane
They actually think this way. They sincerely believe that we want to give them money all the time and the only reason we didn't before is because they didn't release a product often enough.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
They actually think this way. They sincerely believe that we want to give them money all the time and the only reason we didn't before is because they didn't release a product often enough.

Do you really think so? It is a sincere question, because I am often lost in trying to understand other people reasoning. So, you are claiming that if they would release a DLC / day (even a tiny one, like a single new weapon), they'd think people would give them money?

Morkar Left

Do you really think so? It is a sincere question, because I am often lost in trying to understand other people reasoning. So, you are claiming that if they would release a DLC / day (even a tiny one, like a single new weapon), they'd think people would give them money?

Funny, because I had my happiest gaming time/decade when I spent no money at all at gaming...

Micmu

Magister
snake oil seller said:
"If you have five DLC packs at $10 each, you can only ever earn a total of $50," Melo explained. Micro-transactions allow the "potential for more" player spending, and give gamers the ability of extra "choice".
Yes, a choice to be utterly retarded or not. At least you put it into "quotes".
It's funny how little shits try to spin this foul business practice as a positive thing for the customer. At least have 0.000001% of honor and shut the fuck about it. :roll:

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Gamers are actually happier, as they are able to spend money when they want.

We are happier... because we... are able to spend money?

not that this makes this "argument" any better but you misread what was said. gamers are happier because they're able to spend money when they want...

Micmu

Magister
Well.. Strictly speaking, he is correct about giving customers more "choice".
If there weren't any Day 1-DLC, that would automatically eliminate one more binary choice: getting a lite or full version of the game.
Smart customers choose the third option, though - to stay the fuck away from your bogus business.

SinVraal

Educated
People, its just too hard to ship all those fabulous, extra outfits with the game. The fags in the basement can be put to work on the latest, seasonal color trends.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I remember hordes of Bioware defenders when Dragon Age was released. Where are all of them now? (except our dear Mr. R00fles)
Bioware completely lost its mind. OK, just another reason for me to continue to be a smug (but deeply depressed) asshole. :M

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There is nothing there that we do not already know about. What is the point of such interviews ? "We like DLCs because we can sell them" ? Wow.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Angry ? I only bothered to read the first posts and the biodrones were at it :

games are too cheap anyway...it was bound to happen...The pricing of AAA games has not changed in 20 years.

What is so wrong about it?

If you don't support it, don't buy it. Doesn't mean the core product suffers because of it. And if it happens to one day...return it.

Oh no! A business wants to make money? Damn them! Damn them to hell!

racofer

Thread Incliner
games are too cheap anyway...it was bound to happen...The pricing of AAA games has not changed in 20 years.

Considering that the quality of AAA games is also in a steady decline for the past 20 years, I would say the pricing is just on par with the end product.

Ermm

Erudite

I don't know, taxalot only picked the loyal sheeple comments (and only two of them were first comments).

Definitely, decent amount of sheeples are pissed.

Angry sheeples

ME3 was crap, had day 1 dlc, twitter gimmicks, app gimmicks, too many plotholes, was based on lies, ending had to have the EC, 1 hub, weapon dlc, micro-transactions....blah blah blah......im glad if they dont make ME4 as it wont ever be as good as ME1/2.....and its living indenial to think otherwise.....DA2/TOR..and now ME3.....3 strikes and your out..........i stopped giving squaresoft my money with sub-par FF games, i'll do the same to bioware and any other company that does the same.
*sigh* Good to know Bioware will keep cutting content out for day one dlc.

The video game industry is dying...and you guys are surprised that video game companies are nickel and diming us?

Wow.

The Fire Rises!!!!

Of course, this doesn't mean angry sheeples are not going to buy more Mass Effect's

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom