Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Latest on Dead State

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

DoubleBear updated their Dead State development status on Kickstarter.
For the last month, the team has been transitioning to full-time and taking care of much needed post-Kickstarter business tasks while we continue to develop Dead State. We’ve added forum badges and we’re getting t-shirts printed very soon. We’ll have more info on them in a future update.

We’ve started designing some of the new allies that were added as a result of the stretch goals – it’s been pretty interesting to add new allies after having our group fleshed out for so long. What we did was look at gaps in our line-up and expand on conflicts that we thought were interesting but maybe weren’t represented by allies already in our shelter. For the City ally especially, we wanted to make sure they are worth the trouble of braving the City content – they should be a pleasant surprise. The dog and stretch goal allies will definitely expand your shelter’s capabilities quite a bit.
I'm glad to see they're making progress with the t-shirts and stuff.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
SORERY, I forgot some of you might not be backers. Here's the entire update:
For the last month, the team has been transitioning to full-time and taking care of much needed post-Kickstarter business tasks while we continue to develop Dead State. We’ve added forum badges and we’re getting t-shirts printed very soon. We’ll have more info on them in a future update.

We’ve started designing some of the new allies that were added as a result of the stretch goals – it’s been pretty interesting to add new allies after having our group fleshed out for so long. What we did was look at gaps in our line-up and expand on conflicts that we thought were interesting but maybe weren’t represented by allies already in our shelter. For the City ally especially, we wanted to make sure they are worth the trouble of braving the City content – they should be a pleasant surprise. The dog and stretch goal allies will definitely expand your shelter’s capabilities quite a bit.

Most of the work the team is doing right now is a continuation of tasks that we have been working on for the Kickstarter presentation. Design is continuing to work with art on new GUIs, writing continues to be a big part of the design schedule, programming is working on fully-implementing combat rules, and art continues to work on new props and level assets to allow us construct the many types of locations in the game. We’ll have a lot more to show off soon. We hope to start releasing video updates in the future to show off the game’s progress. We’re also going to be adding new team members as development continues, especially to help us with the additional content from the stretch goals. We’ve already brought on an additional programmer to help out with the workload. We’ve also looked into some interesting programs that will help speed up some our processes, especially on the animation side.

The Radio is going live next week. We’ve added a special sub-forum to the Dead State forum that will be limited to those at the Radio tier and above. We’ve sent out surveys to the $21 and $30 ally pack backers to get their forum tags to be added to the Radio sub-forum. For all $30 and higher backers, we have your forum info already, but if for some reason you did not include that info in the survey and want the radio updates, let us know. Remember, once we have the Radio update up, it will stay up, so don’t worry, you won’t miss any content if you can’t access it immediately.

Now it’s back to work for us. Remember, you can find the latest info and discussions on the forums. We’ll be bringing you more news and game screens on the Radio and here on Kickstarter in the near future.

Oh, and here's a visual slice of our "prop level". The prop level holds a copy of every area prop we have, so that our area designers can get an idea of what they have to work with or what might be missing. These are just some of the many real-world objects that we have had to create to make Dead State's world seem as true-to-life as possible.

props.jpg

mbpopolano24

Arbiter

Wait, what??? A month to 'transitioning' to a full-time position? At this speed, by 2013 we'll have the script, by 2014 the implementation of the design, by 2015 the beta, and by 2016 the demo, then of course a lot of people will bitch about it (me included) and by 2017 we'll have a new demo... I got it, here's another Thursday release coming to a screen near you....

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Wait, what??? A month to 'transitioning' to a full-time position? At this speed, by 2013 we'll have the script, by 2014 the implementation of the design, by 2015 the beta, and by 2016 the demo, then of course a lot of people will bitch about it (me included) and by 2017 we'll have a new demo... I got it, here's another Thursday release coming to a screen near you....

What, you don't want them to instantaneously "teleport" to their full-time positions, do you? :D

Baron

Arcane
I better be able to pick up those lawn mowers and run at dead people or chain them to the bull bar on my pickup truck for scavenger runs into the city.

Nice crucifix too, better stick that up on the truck as well. Customisation counts.

I was thinking about UFO Enemy Unknown today, and apart from customising your troops with equipment, and choosing component rooms of your base, one of my favourite parts was when your base got invaded. I pray to my meat splattered Lord and Saviour riding shotgun with me that the game will allow for some quality base invasions from both the living and the dead. There is something wonderful, desperate and personal about fighting off a home invasion. Plus it adds an extra strategy to the game of designing choke points or crossfire kills spots, and would be extremely rewarding to see them executed and pay off (or dismally fail). Choices such as do you build flat, which add additional doors and windows, making it harder to defend. As opposed to, building additional storeys upwards, which would obviously be easier to defend, but could be more costly and have the disadvantage of having the structure's size and lights attract the attention of more zombies, and worse, envious human factions.

Here's another feature I would love... The Lord of the Flies style divergence, which would suit the political subtext. It would be good if the player can try and hold civilisation together with their choices, ie. tentatively trading with other human factions, continuing to wear a police uniform, proudly flying the flag, wearing pants when you get up in the morning. Or alternatively, going all Lord of the Flies and hanging zombies from street poles down the street outside your base, executing dissenters in the group and leaving them in a pile in the front yard or causing unnecessary carnage either for laughs or excessive overkill (ie. blowing up a gas station to take out a couple of zombies). For the MadMax team it would great to see the fires and smoke throughout the city as proof that these are really the end of times and that morality and order are dead and buried. Not only would be fun to make these choices, but also when recruiting NPCs who exhibit signs that they would fit well into the group.

"Eat bodies, burn dead, kill kill kill." - Tricky Nick, Mechwarrior.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter

What, you don't want them to instantaneously "teleport" to their full-time positions, do you? :D

Wait, what? You are telling me that they do NOT know how to do so? :retarded:

Where's VD when he is most needed?

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Have you ever had a decent job? If you have a contract you can't just walk out of the door whenever you like. I'm pretty sure most contracts require at least 30 days notice before you're able to do that (unless you're fired). At least that's how it is here, but i bet it's like that in most civilized countries.

Morkar Left

I was thinking about UFO Enemy Unknown today, and apart from customising your troops with equipment, and choosing component rooms of your base, one of my favourite parts was when your base got invaded. I pray to my meat splattered Lord and Saviour riding shotgun with me that the game will allow for some quality base invasions from both the living and the dead. There is something wonderful, desperate and personal about fighting off a home invasion. Plus it adds an extra strategy to the game of designing choke points or crossfire kills spots, and would be extremely rewarding to see them executed and pay off (or dismally fail).

There will be no fighting in the shelter. As far as I understood the base will be safe as long as you can keep the defenses up (probably point based). If enemies (zombies) can enter your base it's game over.

Baron

Arcane
That's disappointing, but I don't know the mechanics they've got in mind so I'll wait and see. I would've loved to have had the game go down to a vicious base fight but maybe seeing an integer decrease will be seriously tense shit.

Morkar Left

I guess it's more about managing people, time and ressources to maintain the otherwise decreasing defense systems of the base (wall-repairing)

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
there appears to be four levels of lawnmover available

this outclasses the vanilla diablo 2 equipment tier system

mbpopolano24

Arbiter

Have you ever had a decent job? If you have a contract you can't just walk out of the door whenever you like. I'm pretty sure most contracts require at least 30 days notice before you're able to do that (unless you're fired). At least that's how it is here, but i bet it's like that in most civilized countries.

Ah ah, funny. It is probably in part due that I have, and always had, good jobs that I can move from one to another in a day or two. Once, my friend, I was in a continent on a Thursday (sorry, that's for real, no reference to AoD), and started my job on Monday four days later on a fucking different continent. And that time included find a place to live, buying a car, and all the other shit and paperwork in between. So spare me your 30 days notice bullshit, if you are dedicate to your job you find a way to be productive.

That does not mena that I still have great hopes for the game. I never believed they will be able to finishe by December 2013, I'll be very glad and very surprised if they will deliver the complete game (not a fucking demo) by Dec 2015, but - what do I know - maybe they will surprise me.

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
Ah ah, funny. It is probably in part due that I have, and always had, good jobs that I can move from one to another in a day or two. Once, my friend, I was in a continent on a Thursday (sorry, that's for real, no reference to AoD), and started my job on Monday four days later on a fucking different continent. And that time included find a place to live, buying a car, and all the other shit and paperwork in between. So spare me your 30 days notice bullshit, if you are dedicate to your job you find a way to be productive.
So, your line of reasoning is that since you managed to change your (good) job in 4 days, everyone must do the same or be labelled 'non-productive'? What if I find someone that was able to change in 2 day? Does that make you non-productive? Do you understand what a contract and a 30-day notice mean? Do you understand the law?

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
Fuck. I knew I should have spend my experience on empathy instead of juggling.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Still no word about the Radio Tier. Well it seems that we just got scammed. First Wasteland 2, and now Dead State. :cry:

At least I know that I made two of my favorite videogame celebrities happy.

Unwanted

Unwanted
What kosmo did you buy them a beer or some shit?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom