Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News REDkit: Witcher 2 Gets Modding Tools

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 2

In their announcement for the upcoming Gamescom (taking place next week), CD Projekt informs they'll be showing off "REDkit", a set of modding tools for The Witcher 2:

CD Projekt RED will be attending this years Gamescom which takes place in Cologne, Germany next week. We will be hosting a series of behind closed doors, exclusive media presentations where we will be showing the REDkit, a long-awaited set of tools for modders which will allow any player to create their own content for the PC version of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, such as new, non-linear adventures, great looking locations and much more. CD Projekt RED’s recruitment team will also be present in Cologne so make sure to stop by the E60 booth in Hall 10 and have a look at our most recent job openings. Everyone who’s planning on beginning their journey in the game development industry, should come by and see what are the requirements to join our studio.​

Exciting! Now Witcher fans will be able to mod in boob cards, arguably the most important feature in the series. Just what the target audience wants.

Thanks Matt

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks Matt
Noooo.jpg

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I hope it won't be a disaster like Djinni (the editor for TWitcher 1) was. Then again I am eager to try and see how the RPG capabilities of Red Engine games can be stretched.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The Witcher 2 has such awesomely high-quality art assets and lighting. Can't wait to try out those tools.

kaizoku

Arcane
The Witcher 2 has such awesomely high-quality art assets and lighting. Can't wait to try out those tools.

No! Don't go towards the light! Stay away from the light!

Are you considering working on a mod?
Would there be any real advantage to it (besides the gfx) since you already know your ways with DA modding.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer

No! Don't go towards the light! Stay away from the light!

Are you considering working on a mod?
Would there be any real advantage to it (besides the gfx) since you already know your ways with DA modding.
Aside from working with better tech? Probably not. But I wouldn't mind doing a short stand-alone adventure or something. After working for over a year on a 10-hour campaign that is finally starting to wrap up, it'd be a nice change of pace to just work on something smaller and simpler.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whoo more boobs!

I doubt the tools will be anything resembling usable, but you never know. The engine itself is certainly quite excellent.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
FINALLY!

I hope it won't be a disaster like Djinni (the editor for TWitcher 1) was.

what was wrong with it? that you needed a modeling program to create new areas? that it was not as easy to access as nwn's toolset? cdp even released exporters for max.

don't get your hopes up too early. hopefully they can release all the third party tools they are using. else it will end like the crippled toolset dragon age suffers from :D

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
don't get your hopes up too early. hopefully they can release all the third party tools they are using. else it will end like the crippled toolset dragon age suffers from :D
I dunno. Does The Witcher 2 really use any licensed tech? I got the sense just about everything about the engine was self-contained - custom lighting, vegetation, etc. Maybe modeling and animation stuff will be a challenge, but that's true of many, many mod tools.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the RED Engine a heavily modified Unreal Engine 3 or something to that effect? If so it should be pretty feature-complete.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I dunno. Does The Witcher 2 really use any licensed tech? I got the sense just about everything about the engine was self-contained - custom lighting, vegetation, etc. Maybe modeling and animation stuff will be a challenge, but that's true of many, many mod tools.
It used havok physics and animation, pathengine, scaleform, fmod, and speedtree.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the RED Engine a heavily modified Unreal Engine 3 or something to that effect? If so it should be pretty feature-complete.
I've never heard any mention of that connection, they've said it's all theirs.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah I know about them claiming it's theirs, it's just that it uses the Documents\Witcher 2\CookedPC string of directories to store settings. "CookedPC" is something that's been native to Unreal Engine for a long while now.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Looks like CDP wanna make their RPGs interactive movies more appealing to wider audience... like hormone-high teens and furfags. Bet they took a lesson from Beth.

Seriously though, it's more like they have in mind an eventual licensing business with their engine. Doubt they'd give a shit otherwise. A handful of awkwardly animated sex mods and horribly sculpted nude mods ain't make the game lifespan longer... not to mention the majority of CDP audience are the savages of potatoland, unable to do anything creative but pirating games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom