Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview FTL: Faster Than Light Interview at RockPaperShotgun

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Faster Than Light; Roguelike; Subset Games

The folks over at RockPaperShotgun have put up an interview with Subset Games' Matthew Davis and Justin Ma, focusing on their soon-to-be-released (in September, actually) spaceship roguelike FTL: Faster Than Light, currently in the closed, backer-only beta. Have a snippet:

RPS: Any surprising influences?

Justin Ma: It may not be surprising since I say it often, but Spelunky was an experience we drew from frequently. Other than being an excellent game, I feel Derek Yu really figured out the formula for distilling the spirit of Roguelikes into another genre.

Matthew Davis: King Arthur the Roleplaying Wargame would probably be a surprising influence. It reminded me how fun and diverse entirely text-based adventures can be. And it has a brilliantly crafted atmosphere that really immerses you into a role, which I hope FTL manages to do as well.

The game seemed pretty playable from the IGF/Onlive build. How much of what you want to achieve did it represent, and how far along is the current Steam-served beta?

Matthew Davis: That IGF build represented the core gameplay and experience that we set out to make last year. Since then, we’ve been iterating and expanding on what we already had. The focus since then has been fleshing out the universe with more aliens and events. And since a rogue-like lives and dies on re-playability, we’ve also been making sure the game has enough variety to ensure the player wants to keep coming back for more adventures. Some people in the Beta have already invested 40+ hours into the game, so I’d cautiously say that so far it seems to be worth coming back to over and over again.​

As you may recall, we did our own interview on the game back in April, and also reviewed the beta recently. The luckiest of us have even already played the beta; as for the rest of you, September isn't so far away now!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm a big fan of one of the new ships introduced in the latest revision of the beta. Rockmen 4 life, yo! :thumbsup:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Occasionally Fatal
I just visited the Homepage:
Official FTL Homepage said:
We’re finishing up development and in talks with our intended distributors: we’re looking at a early to mid September launch of FTL! The exact date is still up in the air but we’ll let you know once we have one.
[...] It’s connected to the same Beta keys that were sent in June: just install Steam on your Mac, log in with your same account and it should be in your library.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom