Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Skyrim's Dawnguard DLC Now on Steam

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Dawnguard; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

After being an Xbox exclusive for some time, Skyrim's DLC Dawnguard is now available on Steam, so you can experience even more of Bethesda's trademark writing and majestic dungeon design. PC Gamer reports:

Like some kind of sneaky Dunmer, Skyrim’s Dawnguard expansion showed up on Steam this afternoon acting like nothing out of the ordinary had happened. The release coincides with Bethesda’s presence at QuakeCon, which began today in Dallas. Skyrim is also currently on sale for $30, and with Dawnguard priced at $20, you can get them both for less than the normal price of Skyrim by itself. The forests of Riften will be filled with howls this night…​

Join the howling tonight!

Untermensch

Augur
What's the point of buying Elder Scrolls DLCs?

The community will churn out countless mods that add more places to explore and it's not like Bethesda can write interesting stories or dialogue.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not to mention it costs 20$, I can buy Torchlight 2 for that money.

Terrible writing and quests aside, as a dungeon crawler, playing spellblade in Skyrim with mods like Skyrim Redone is genuine fun. From 4/10 it went to gameplay-wise-8/10 imo, I really recommend it.

The community will churn out countless mods that add unsettling stuff like zoophilia to twist the world into personal bizarre fetish realm

Fix'd for you.

Not to mention it costs 20$, I can buy Torchlight 2 for that money.

http://thepiratebay.se/ Fix'd for you as well.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
VOTS, GoG is a polish company. I was talkin' about them, not you. You are a gentleman of refined taste my good sir, not some crass, mouthbreathing Pole. ;)

Black, have you seen the games offered on GoG recently? Dude, you and all the codex fell for it easily. GoG targetted a niche initially to get off the ground, and cuz the licenses were easy to obtain. Now, they only care about money. I guarantee you 100% Oblivion will be on GoG in 2 yrs time.

Keep in mind many of the initial games on GoG, the 'classics' were abandonware, available for free. GoG made them get taken off and started begging money for them.

Monocause

Arcane
Did they ever fix the mountains of bugs?

I really don't get this myth propping up from time to time on the dex. Skyrim was playable out of the box and with the recent patch any bugs I find (which isn't that often) are mostly minor annoyances - which is admirable considering that in a non-linear game like that the player has tons of opportunities to screw with the gameworld.

Really, it pains me to say so but I get the feeling that Bethesda learned much from Oblivion and FO3. Skyrim, while nothing earthshattering, is simply a decent game. Bear with it.

Black

Arcane
VOTS, GoG is a polish company. I was talkin' about them, not you. You are a gentleman of refined taste my good sir, not some crass, mouthbreathing Pole. ;)

Black, have you seen the games offered on GoG recently? Dude, you and all the codex fell for it easily. GoG targetted a niche initially to get off the ground, and cuz the licenses were easy to obtain. Now, they only care about money. I guarantee you 100% Oblivion will be on GoG in 2 yrs time.

Keep in mind many of the initial games on GoG, the 'classics' were abandonware, available for free. GoG made them get taken off and started begging money for them.
Actually, the only thing I got from GoG was Fallout 1 because it was for free, even though I already had it.

Someday I'll meet the one other person in the world who finds TES games almost completely stable. Seriously, I've never had substantial problems since Daggerfall, which just made you fall through floors often (and was easily fixed).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It basically looks like the kind of DLC you get for Saints Row The Third -- play dress up and LARP around. Of course, that's mostly what the last few Elder Scrolls games have been. Less about interesting exploration and game play and more about e-LARP'ing.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Bethesda are making terrible marketing choices right now. I bought Skyrim for PS3, and now I'm going to have to wait it out. :(

Precisely, because I only have a Netbook at present, so I can focus on older games, and it doesn't have the capability to play ESV.

I should have waited for GOTY edition, as it will have ALL the DLC, patches will iron out the bugs (including the LATE one, we are only on 1.06 on PS3 right now + the Lagg problem, which they took their sweet time fixing!). On top of that, the XBAWKZ stupidity of releasing DLC earlier is terrible for a Cross-platform game, and I ended up, in retrospect, enjoying Dark Souls a whole lot more than Skyrim.

That said, the dungeons in Skyrim seemed pretty linear. I'm not sure if this is fixed later on in the game, but most of them unrolled like a ball of yarn that I've explored so far--just one long tunnel, from one end to the other, no branching pathways or labyrinths like earlier games. Even Oblivion managed that one, Chrissakes! :/

Also, I don't give half of a rat's ass for Story in Elder Scrolls games. I play them to explore, much like an open Adventure Game, Period.

I think, with the quality of Bethesda writing, they should just stick with an open-world MMO approach, Sandbox more often, and simply give up on Storytelling altogether. It's not like it's anything more than generic, "Save the King!" type nonsense. With that approach, the story and dialogue writing actually turn me off more than they help, and I would like the game decently if they just chose to Focus on Adventure elements exclusively, and forego the storytelling.

That way, we get more of a 'Dark Souls' approach to dialogue, where less is more, and I can just focus on stats & exploration, which is the core of a dungeon crawling experience, anyway. It's not like I can read the writing on a computer or TV screen very well, anyway, and the dialogue options only lead down one road--"DO YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT THIS QUEST!?" Well, duh! I guess I'm gonna take it, if I want the fucking game to progress, after all! :/ Heh.

Sh!t game. I'm saying that nicely, as I enjoy Elder Scrolls as a whole, but I think Skyrim really didn't capture the Nordic feel as well as Conan the Barbarian. Instead of excellent writing, we got "Arrow to the knee!" jokes, which became an old meme within a week of release, and annoyed the piss out of anyone who cares about people riffing off poor source material, instead of creating their own original jokes. Even "All your Base" jokes are funnier, btw. :/

:x

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Bethesda are making terrible marketing choices right now. I bought Skyrim for PS3
Spot the logical fallacy.

However, there is no fallacy, as they did a simultaneous release for all three systems, thus all three, as a marketing venture, should be up to par! If they want to succeed...

Which they didn't in the case of a lot of enraged PS3 owners.

As far as "why," goes, because it's the only system I own capable of playing Skyrim. I enjoy my PS3 for exclusives, but I bought an old Netbook to focus on older games, and it has nowhere near the specs required to play the latest material in video games.

And I don't own an Xbox, either, since it rarely has as many great exclusives, and Halo and other shoots don't inspire me, since I was a PC owner for years and have had every chance to burn myself out on shooters FOREVER. I won't even talk Wii...what a terrible waste of a system!

I like the idea of a Wiimote in theory, since it's one step closer to virtual reality, but in effect, the system had too low of specs to be fundamentally operational, as far as my gaming needs are concerned. I just really didn't want to waste time with PC anymore, as at the period where I traded in my old one, few games were out independently, and most releases at the time were shooters, so Classic Games was where it was at!

No fallacy.

Just decisions, and Logic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom