Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Competition Codex 10th Anniversary - Short Story Competition

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Good Old Games; RPG Codex; Short Story Competition

On - or near enough to - this day, the 28th of July in the year 2002, the RPG Codex began life with its very first news post:

Test.​

And so, in celebration of the Codex' 10th Anniversary - and in grand Codex tradition - we're holding a short-story competition. Help us honour this momentous occasion by writing a short story on one of the following:

1. 10 years inside the asylum (optional variation: 10 years in charge of the asylum).

2. A Date with the Codex: A mock conversation where-in a poster has created a "dating advice" thread, asking for assistance on how he can improve his relationship with the Codex.

3. A Decade of Decadence - 10 Whole Years of Decline. A retrospective look at the events (or perhaps just one event) of the last 10 years. What struck you the most? What is your fondest memory?

4. Speculative fiction: What if we did scale to your level? A story on how the Codex might have turned out, if only things had been different...

5. Ten Prosperous Periods of Posting: A Poem.​

Stories should be approximately 500 words (although strictly speaking, there is no limit on length and all entries will be accepted).

Prizes

Our esteemed panel of judges (DarkUnderlord, baby arm and probably the rest of the staff in some sort of group therapy session) will pick the 2 best entries from each category. Winners will receive a game of their choice from Good Old Games and +2 years of ad-free Codexian browsing (assuming you have an account here).

Teh Rulez
  • We have #10 games to give away so the "best" two stories from each of the topics above will win a prize.
  • Contestants are allowed to enter a story for all topics as well as make multiple entries within a topic.
  • You can only be the winner of one free game. So even if you have the "best" story in multiple topics, you'll only be winning one free game. Share the love and all, yo?
  • Winners will be able to choose the game they want from anything in GOG's catalogue.
  • You don't have to be a member of the Codex to enter, as we are accepting entries from anyone. RPGCodex staff members are the only people excluded from entering winning (they can submit something in honour of this great occasion should they feel so inclined).
  • Be sure to include the topic your story is about in your entry.
  • Judges decisions are final and no correspondence shall be entered into, though bribes may be accepted. Preferably by buying Codex T-shirts and / or Mugs.

How to Enter

Entries can be made in one of the following ways (in order of preference):
  • By replying with your short story in the comments thread for this item (thus allowing other members to brofist your entry, which may assist in swaying the judges).
  • Through the RPGCodex contact form.
  • Private Messaging DarkUnderlord.
  • Via e-mail to: darkunderlord at WHAT IS THE NAME OF THIS WEBSITE AGAIN LULZ dot net (replace the ALLCAPS part with rpgcodex).

We'll run the competition for a month, with entries closing on the 28th August 2012. Winners will be announced sometime after that, once we've bothered to read everything.

Happy 10th Anniversary!!

The entries received so far can be found here.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I'm always on the take, just for your information.

Sub

Arcane
I think it would be difficult to top A Dilemma.

And happy birthday Codex.

Black

Arcane
Pfft, storyfags:rpgcodex: I'll wait for 20th year anniversary, maybe it'll be short gameplay competition.

Gregz

Arcane
A Date with the Codex, by Gregz

I had already spent several months with her, and although we shared many interests I found our relationship stagnating. We played the same games, enjoyed the same old favorites, and wiled away the hours reminiscing about the good old days...yes, I'd say Rpgwatch and I had a good thing...but it just wasn't going anywhere. We'd meet 2 or 3 times a week, hang out, maybe play a game or two, then have lots of safe nerdsex. I say safe because she insisted on keeping the lights off, only did missionary, and made me wear a condom every time.

This was the way I thought it was supposed to be. She was my first after all, and I was inexperienced. Besides she had lots of friends, bland as they were, and everyone agreed that I was lucky to have her. They also told me how lucky I was not to be stuck with that other woman; Rpgcodex. I had never met Rpgcodex, but everything I heard about her was unpleasant. She sounded like a vile miserable person.

One day after the usual in-and-out with Rpgwatch, I met up with Google and had a few drinks...now I don't usually drink because it brings out the worst in me, but I guess I was tired of how flat everything seemed...wasn't there more to life? What happened to me? How did I become this listless suburbanite? It was in this self-indulgent piteous state that I drank with Google to drown my sorrows. Now, Google doesn't do evil often, but he sure as hell rubs elbows with it, so I'm drunk and stupid enough to ask him about Rpgcodex (something I had been told repeatedly never to do). Before I knew it, she was at our table, as if she was lurking in that sleazy bar all night just waiting for an invitation.

I had heard the stories about her of course...and yeah, I could see how she got the reputation. The mock Nazi tattoos, the scars across her wrists, but man...what a body...and the way she dressed...she was nothing like my girl Rpgwatch. All leather and style with everything about her oozing sexuality and adventure. By now I had forgotten all about Google. I had my beer goggles on and they were working just fine. Rpgcodex winked at me and invited me back to her place. Now, I had never cheated on a woman before...and Rpgwatch had treated me well...but Rpgcodex was so irresistible, what could I do?

Before I knew it I was in her car. She was sending me mixed signals the whole way, flirting with me one minute then calling me a newfag and rolling her eyes the next...but I didn't care, I would weather whatever this babe threw at me for one night with her. And so it was that she led me to her place. We spent some time discussing games, and I was mystified by how hot and smart she was, this was my lucky day! Wait...what's the saying...hot, smart, sane...pick 2? Never mind, this girl has it all and I'm going for it!

So after some very prestigious discussions she led me to a door with the letters G & D carved in relief. "Shall we?" she asked coyly. Eagerly I followed her down into what appeared to be an S&M dungeon with all the trimmings. Oh boy! I could hardly contain myself, this was one wild chick! She grabbed what looked like a cat o' nine tails off the wall (except the ends of the tails had bulbous knobs on them making them look strangely phallic) and commanded me to strip in front of a pole in the center of the room. The pole had a chain hanging from it with two wrist manacles (she pronounced them 'monocles' lol...I almost corrected her but reminded myself that nobody was perfect, and if I played along I was going get me some strange tonight!). She secured my wrists, smacked my ass, and started flogging me with that nasty whip. Now, that shit really hurt and I wasn't into it, but she was so hot and this was a once in a lifetime chance, so I endured it as best I could.

After copious role playing, 'let's plays', and lashes from her MHD (don't ask me what it means, I still don't know) she eventually unchained me. I was sore and staggered, but determined...I was finally going to get me some of that sweet Rpgcodex ass! She led me into her adjacent bedchamber by candlelight (which was quite emotionally engaging) and while undressing started kissing me purposefully. Losing all control I began exploring her (rather muscular?) body. She then took my hand and guided it down to her THROBBING HARD COCK!?! WTF!?!

The end.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This might be a silly question. In fact it probably is, but for the 10 years in decline, it doesn't have to be written fiction-style, right?

kaizoku

Arcane
What a marvelous tale my dear sir.
But do allow me to mod it.

snip

After copious role playing, 'let's plays', and lashes from her MHD (don't ask me what it means, I still don't know) she eventually unchained me. I was sore and staggered, but determined...I was finally going to get me some of that sweet Rpgcodex ass! She led me into her adjacent bedchamber by candlelight (which was quite emotionally engaging) and while undressing started kissing me purposefully. Losing all control I began exploring her (rather muscular?) body. She then took my hand and guided it down to her THROBBING HARD COCK!?! WTF!?!

I tried to resist, but something was wrong. My mind was getting fuzzy. She had served me too many lulzy drinks that night. So after destroying my sobriety, she proceeded to plunder my ass and pillage what was left of my dignity. Today I know that it was her plan all along.
It was a very rough night, but the next day I was back at her place for moar.

As for rpgwatch, well, I told her the truth. She bursted in tears and could hardly believe on what she was hearing. In a sobbing voice she whimpered "How could you!? I never asked for this."
I looked her in the eyes and told her to deal with it. I put my sunglasses on, mounted my fusroh-dan dragon, and flew into the sunset :fuck yeah:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
10 years inside Asylum. by markec

Damn sun, Chris told himself as it shined trough the barred window on his sleeping face, waking him up. He liked to sleep since then he managed to dream and even when he had nightmares they were less scary then the real world, maybe because subconsciously he knew that from those nightmare he can wake up. He sit on the edge of the bed and looked at same view he saw for the past 10 years, brownish wall that was white when he came here and worn out floor that reminds him of time spend walking pointlessly from one end of the room to another, hoping something interesting will happen, but nothing ever did.

He started his daily routine which consisted of walking in circles, arguing with himself (since he believed it was the only way to have an intelligent conversation) about the value of writing in modern media and waiting for the feed tube to come from the ceiling for the daily dose of slop. After the meal he got nervous, standing by the metal door waiting for the moment he would be released for socializing with other patients, cold sweat poured down his forehead and his hand started to tremble as seconds felt like minutes. At one point he almost started to scream and scratch the door as his mind started to panic in a thought that he was forgotten, a fear he experienced every day for last few years. Luckily the massive door opened automatically and showed him the way outside which he took eagerly.

In the corridor several other patients were with him, he knew them well but didnt consider them friends, they are insane he would say to himself and better to spend less time with them since maybe then the supervisors would realize he was sane. As they all walked trough the long corridor to the public room he observed cameras on the ceiling that seemed like they were followed all of their moves, but were they? Chris often thought that cameras were there to only watch him and noone else, he was the smart and the sane one, he was the threat to them not the other guys. He moved at average speed, holding his head low to appear like his will was broken, he will fool all of them.

The public room is a rather large place with lots of tables with different items to provide entertainment for the patients, from board games to crayons and spreadsheet. On one wall there is even a television to allow a view on the current world events. It was placed high on the wall to prevent someone from damaging it or switching the channel away from government news. At this point Chris would usually play games or watch tv, long time ago he would even use the spreadsheets to create his own alter ego set in a imaginary world where his stats ans skill determined his progress. He never said that to anyone because everyone and especially the doctors and guards would think he was insane so when asked what he was doing his response was pretending to work in excel. He didnt want to end up like Tim, a friend who was here with him less then five years ago, who constantly argued that attributes like charisma and wisdom should be an essential part of every RPG and that all of them should influence the game. After a week of reeducation he now spends time constantly walking into the wall since he cant go anywhere without quest compass which he cant find.

Last few weeks Chris didnt play any games or watch tv, he was planning. He would walk around the room pretending to mingle with other patients but in reality he was designing a plan. There was only two doors out of this room, one leading back to the rooms and another to the freedom. The door which he needed to get trough opened only on few occasions, when doctors make personal visits, when guards need to calm down a situation or when a new patient arrives. His plan was simple, when door opens he will make a diversion and use a commotion to avoid the guards and flee. He didnt know the way out of the hospital but he counted on Lady Luck for help, since luck favors the brave. After few days diversion was ready, there were two small groups of patients that gather on opposite parts of the room, one argued that turn based combat is the best since it offered most tactical options while other that real time is more realistic and more entertaining due no limitations in combat speed. They rarely got mixed or engaged in arguments but Chris was about to change that, now he only needed for that door to open.

It seemed that luck is really on his side since day after finalizing his plan a opportunity came. The door opened just as he pretended to watch a new sitcom about a psychic gay jewish couple who solved mysteries a new patient came. It was a older man being dragged by two guards, while two more secured the door, he struggled a bit but the guards had a strong grip on him. Suddenly he yelled how Fallout didnt start with 3, it looked like the guards got pissed and started beating him with sticks, a situation, long time ago, Chris knew all too well. He pondered to help but he knew it would be pointless and he could not lose this chance. He went fast but not too suspiciously between the real time fans while everyone was focused on the beating and yelled that Jagged Alliance would have been a better game if it was real time. On the other side of the room the turn based fans stopped watching the brutal scene even when blood and teeth started to fly everywhere, and went to the place where those words were spoken.

As the new fight started Chris slowly moved toward the door staying near the wall, the two guards seeing the new fight quickly ran to prevent the escalation of the situation. As they left the door frame he slipped trough and entered in a place that would lead him to his freedom. He didnt know where he was going, he went from one corridor to another, there was no alarm sounded and no cameras in this part of the building, on a sound of few voices he opened a door and entered a small room. It was laundry room, he managed to find a slightly dirty guard outfit hoping it will help him to flee this place. Still there was no alarm activated, it was obvious that noone realized he escaped but soon the patients would need to return to their rooms and then they will realize someone is missing.

He moved causally nodding the staff he passed, and again the luck was on his side. On a wall was a layout of the hospital and easiest was to exit was marked in case of fire, he memorized the way and started moving, as he walked his steps got faster not because of fear but hope of freedom. After going down two floors he had the main entrance in his full view. A large six way door made of glass and beyond them a long 200 meter long paved way to the some eight meter tall wall with large antique iron gate leading out of the compound. There was a control point with three guards whos job was to prevent visitors from bringing contraband to patients. He hoped that they wont mind him too much since their job was to look out for things that get in not get out. While he moved toward the door the guards turned their attention to him, Chris bowed his head and started coughing really loud, in hope they would think it is a sick guard going on a leave and wont ask him to lift his head. His plan seemed to work as he walked, coughing and waving his hand to them. He opened the door and stepped outside, for a moment he stopped and took a full breath of air and smelled what was for him a smell of freedom. As he approached the main gate he tried to control himself from running, he was smiling for a first time in a very long time. While only few meters away he heard the sound of the alarm, but he didnt care anymore, he has reached his freedom. His hand grabbed the iron gate, slowly opened them and he stepped out to a world he was not part of for a ten years. Chris looked infront of him and his smile faded, a huge billboard advertisement stood before him "Planescape Torment 4: The Reckoning a new game of award winning first person shooter series".

Chris screamed as he fell on his knees, he forgot but now he remembered and while the guards dragged him back he cried.

And also happy birthday Codex.

Erebus

Arcane
- A Decade of Decadence -

My dear colleagues,

It is with great pride that I inform you that I've finally been able to decipher large parts of the ancient archives that chance has put between my hands. The information they contain casts an invaluable light on the cataclysm that wiped out the civilization of our ancestors.

The archives come from a doomsday cult known as the "RPGCodex". Its red-skinned (judging from their crude depictions of themselves) members were not as blind as their contemporaries to the upcoming apocalypse, but sadly, they only used this foreknowledge to fuel insane rants and sterile debates. It even appears that, as the end came near, they engaged more and more often in highly degenerate acts, possibly as a way of worshipping the multi-headed demon they called "Dick".

The archives cover slightly more than 10 years, starting in 2002 and of course coming to a very sudden stop in 2012. (Some very interesting parts of the archives may help put an end to the long-lived debate about the starting point of the calendar used by our ancestors. It is with some degree of confidence that I can now assert that their "Year 1" was the year of birth of a great, semi-legendary figure called "Avellone".)

While the cult's existence only began in 2002, the philosophico-theological discussions found in the archives often mention previous cataclysmic events. There are many references to a time of nuclear fallout, followed by a time of unescapable torment (the cultists often sound shockingly elated by the mere mention of those events, which apparently played an essential role in their insane beliefs). There's also mention of a very important yet mysterious event in 2001, called the "Arcanum" by the cultists ; descriptions found in the archives are contradictory, but it seems that what should have been a great mystical accomplishment was marred by several tragedies, probably of a violent nature ("terrible combat" is often mentioned).

The archives paint a grim picture of the last decade of a civilization. While the RPGCodex clearly professed a highly negative and warped philosophy from the very first day of its existence, it seems to have had for a while the belief that salvation was possible. Then, in 2006, a traumatic event chillingly called the "Oblivion" shattered the hopes and minds of the cultists. In the following years and until the end, the references to the general decline never stopped increasing in number. A mysterious illness only described as the "butthurt" spread like wildfire and the cultists routinely engaged in fratricidal witch-hunts, accusing each others of being infected.

In the remaining years, several great figures apparently attempted to avert the nearing catastrophe. They wore mystical-sounding titles such as "the Warden", "the Champion", "the Dragonborn", "the Shard-Bearer" and "the Shepherd". The RPGCodex, sadly having embraced complete despair, derided their heroic attempts as "popamole RTwP BSB with no C&C for weeaboo consoletards" (a difficult to translate yet clearly pejorative description).

During the same years, the cult became especially preoccupied with a dire prophecy announcing the coming of an "age of decadence". While the prophecy mentioned the very day it would be fulfilled, the cultists still seem to have been caught unprepared when the apocalypse came.

And that is all I feel confident enough to say for now. But have no fear, my fellow Loremasters : at the invitation of House Aurelian, I'll be holding a conference in Maadoran next month. By then, I trust the RPGCodex archives will have revealed to me more clues as to the terrible doom that struck our ancestors.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

My dear colleagues,

It is with great pride that I inform you that I've finally been able to decipher large parts of the ancient archives that chance has put between my hands. The information they contain casts an invaluable light on the cataclysm that wiped out the civilization of our ancestors.

The archives come from a doomsday cult known as the "RPGCodex". Its red-skinned (judging from their crude depictions of themselves) members were not as blind as their contemporaries to the upcoming apocalypse, but sadly, they only used this foreknowledge to fuel insane rants and sterile debates. It even appears that, as the end came near, they engaged more and more often in highly degenerate acts, possibly as a way of worshipping the multi-headed demon they called "Dick".

The archives cover slightly more than 10 years, starting in 2002 and of course coming to a very sudden stop in 2012. (Some very interesting parts of the archives may help put an end to the long-lived debate about the starting point of the calendar used by our ancestors. It is with some degree of confidence that I can now assert that their "Year 1" was the year of birth of a great, semi-legendary figure called "Avellone".)

While the cult's existence only began in 2002, the philosophico-theological discussions found in the archives often mention previous cataclysmic events. There are many references to a time of nuclear fallout, followed by a time of unescapable torment (the cultists often sound shockingly elated by the mere mention of those events, which apparently played an essential role in their insane beliefs). There's also mention of a very important yet mysterious event in 2001, called the "Arcanum" by the cultists ; descriptions found in the archives are contradictory, but it seems that what should have been a great mystical accomplishment was marred by several tragedies, probably of a violent nature ("terrible combat" is often mentioned).

The archives paint a grim picture of the last decade of a civilization. While the RPGCodex clearly professed a highly negative and warped philosophy from the very first day of its existence, it seems to have had for a while the belief that salvation was possible. Then, in 2006, a traumatic event chillingly called the "Oblivion" shattered the hopes and minds of the cultists. In the following years and until the end, the references to the general decline never stopped increasing in number. A mysterious illness only described as the "butthurt" spread like wildfire and the cultists routinely engaged in fratricidal witch-hunts, accusing each others of being infected.

In the remaining years, several great figures apparently attempted to avert the nearing catastrophe. They wore mystical-sounding titles such as "the Warden", "the Champion", "the Dragonborn", "the Shard-Bearer" and "the Shepherd". The RPGCodex, sadly having embraced complete despair, derided their heroic attempts as "popamole RTwP BSB with no C&C for weeaboo consoletards" (a difficult to translate yet clearly pejorative description).

During the same years, the cult became especially preoccupied with a dire prophecy announcing the coming of an "age of decadence". While the prophecy mentioned the very day it would be fulfilled, the cultists still seem to have been caught unprepared when the apocalypse came.

And that is all I feel confident enough to say for now. But have no fear, my fellow Loremasters : at the invitation of House Aurelian, I'll be holding a conference in Maadoran next month. By then, I trust the RPGCodex archives will have revealed to me more clues as to the terrible doom that struck our ancestors.

Awesome crossover! Vault Dweller should read this.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

My dear colleagues,

:bravo:

A mysterious illness only described as the "butthurt" spread like wildfire and the cultists routinely engaged in fratricidal witch-hunts, accusing each others of being infected.
Pure poetry.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

There's also mention of a very important yet mysterious event in 2001, called the "Arcanum" by the cultists ; descriptions found in the archives are contradictory, but it seems that what should have been a great mystical accomplishment was marred by several tragedies, probably of a violent nature ("terrible combat" is often mentioned).

Then, in 2006, a traumatic event chillingly called the "Oblivion" shattered the hopes and minds of the cultists

:love:

Stinger

Arcane
We'll run the competition for a month, with entries closing on the 28th August 2012.

Fuck your deadlines! I need at least 3 years to come up with a good short story!

Erebus

Arcane
You'll have 10 years bro, Erebus already won this one. :P

Thanks to all of you, but I hardly think the story is unsurpassable. Competitive spirit, bros ! Anyway, there are ten prizes going to ten different people.

I'm thinking of writing another story for the "Date with the Codex" theme, though I'll need some time to think about it.

Stinger

Arcane
You'll have 10 years bro, Erebus already won this one. :P

That's only because he was using an established engine set of ideas. There's no way he came up with a good story on his own on such short notice! NO WAY!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom