Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview What The Witcher Taught CD Projekt about RPGs: A Gamasutra Interview

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: CD Projekt; The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings; Witcher, The

Gamasutra has put up a three-page interview with "key staff members from CD Projekt RED" (namely, Marcin Iwinski, Adam Badowski and Michal Platkow-Gilewski), with questions concerning The Witcher, the RPG genre, as well as CDPR's upcoming sci-fi game. Have a snip:

In Cyberpunk's case, how are you approaching the series' existing pen-and-paper rule set? Is it influencing the way you approach design?

MI: We are not limiting ourselves to using a certain set of rules, but rather we're looking at it as a general [guideline]. We'll use it as much as it makes sense, and of course we'll really rely on the support of [Cyberpunk creator] Mike Pondsmith.

He's a game designer who's also knowledgeable about computer games, and he's been really excited to work with us. We think we can really use his expertise to the advantage of the game, and that's something we didn't have with The Witcher. He's consulting with us on a fairly regular basis.

[...] AB: The idea for Cyberpunk is quite simple. You have this universe... and it goes back to what you were asking before. The license aggregates all ideas about cyberpunk as a genre. It has elements of Blade Runner, it's futuristic, but it's also a bit retro... there's almost everything in this universe. We have a lot of experience with storytelling after making The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 2, and we have to use it. We're not going to make compromises when it comes to that, and I think what we're doing will surprise our fans.

Speaking of The Witcher 2, I'd love to hear about the lessons you all learned during that game's production. Looking back, what sort of things did you learn from The Witcher 2, and how are you carrying them forward into Cyberpunk?

AB: It's quite complicated, but it all comes down to design. We spent days discussing a general postmortem after we finished The Witcher 2. What we learned is that we need to attract people with a smoother learning curve when it comes to the storyline.

On the other hand, we want to keep that mature setting, and offer something deeper than the usual war between good guys and bad guys.

[...] MPG: Players should be able to choose how deep they want to enter the story, the plot. If they're really hardcore, they can really dig deeper and deeper and deeper, and if they're just casual, they can still learn about the characters and the story, but they'll do that by going in another direction.

AB: Sometimes you might find some external characters, or some scripts to read that reveal different branches of the storyline, and this stuff is very interesting for our hardcore players who really want to learn more.

MI: With Witcher 2 we hit another problem, where a lot of people came in new to the franchise, and they were like, "I don't even know what happened in The Witcher 1!" So we're thinking about ways to introduce people properly to a complex story.

Take Gears of War. A lot of players don't care about the story, but there is a huge universe around that series. For us, it's very important to attract player and make them want to explore the storyline. If you think of a game has having a gameplay level and the story level, we need to find the perfect mix between them.​

Click here for the full interview.

Licaon_Kter

Augur
/in before: "attract people with a smoother learning curve when it comes to the storyline" = "slipstreaming it for the kids" = consolization = $hit = whatever butthurt

It's all about the "I don't even know what happened in The Witcher 1!" & about the fact that the Prologue was hard and was killing "a lot of people [that] came in new to the franchise" that were not used to (read were lazy to read a manual) the whole Witcher style of doing things. They could of fixed that with a 4 minute video, and they kinda did but they just released them on the web before the Xbox version was out instead of sticking them as an intro/tutorial video back in 2011 on the first release too: (WHAT HAPPENED) https://www.youtube.com/v/RPHgWfWFr9k and (WHAT'S A WITCHER?) https://www.youtube.com/v/AzfFPONyjSw and the most important one: (HOW DOES HE?) https://www.youtube.com/v/BMc1ySC6Qao

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
In Cyberpunk's case, how are you approaching the series' existing pen-and-paper rule set? Is it influencing the way you approach design?
MI: We are not limiting ourselves to using a certain set of rules, but rather we're looking at it as a general [guideline]. We'll use it as much as it makes sense​

Realistic translation: we put the "loosely" in "loosely based on". :cool:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Players should be able to choose how deep they want to enter the story, the plot. If they're really hardcore, they can really dig deeper and deeper and deeper, and if they're just casual, they can still learn about the characters and the story, but they'll do that by going in another direction.
So hardcore players are now people who want to know the story/background in a game? So all those Bioware fans who post about wanting to know more about their favourite LI's (always Tali) backstory are the hardcore gamers?

This Hardcore Casual stuff needs to go, I always thought it was about time spent on the game but it now means so many different things, with Hardcore practically being a buzzword. Fuck.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a recurring pattern. Any game developer that says "We'll simplify the gameplay, because what our customers really care about is the story" will eventually simplify the story too. Classic slippery slope.

Reposting for truth.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
We spent days discussing a general postmortem after we finished The Witcher 2.

Postmortem is indeed the appropriate term when discussing an abortion.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Take Gears of War. A lot of players don't care about the story, but there is a huge universe around that series.

Like Mass Effect?

You mentioned that it was an experiment for you. Was it a success? Was there anything about it that didn't go as planned?

AB: For sure it was a success, but probably half of our players didn't even realize that they can choose totally different paths.
I guess you can lead a nextgen roleplayer to actual choices but you can't make them appreciate it

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
facepalm.jpg

Too used to Bioware "choices" I guess.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
MPG said:
[...] MPG: Players should be able to choose how deep they want to enter the story, the plot. If they're really hardcore, they can really dig deeper and deeper and deeper, and if they're just casual, they can still learn about the characters and the story, but they'll do that by going in another direction.

So they will learn by not learning. I'll love to see this game's C&C.

Cyberpunk is boring. Why doesn't anyone design a Bergman RPG (Persona doesn't count as an answer): three people on an island and they only talk gibberish "Ja ja strukformstrung glozslisturd". And then you can break the chairs and the plates by pressing on W, that would be great. There would be fat loot in the form of a bandage on your finger+3. And then you shift to the next location: the great rock by the beach. And the three girls follow you and go "Ja ja ja sturmfruch brinsteloft". And then you press W to leave the island by swimming and then you drown. Next you arrive in Heaven and see God who looks just like the one from the leaflets from the Jehova's Witnesses, totally disco and you're really happy and then he goes: "Ja ja ja sturflipspurtzen grachnosti ja ja ja".

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Cyberpunk is boring. Why doesn't anyone design a Bergman RPG

movies never translate well to games

all I remember are some accounts of a die hard game being good along with a certain platform's minority report

I would totally play a fifth element adventure game with quirky dialog and aliens though

el Supremo

Augur
Patron
Players should be able to choose how deep they want to enter the story, the plot. If they're really hardcore, they can really dig deeper and deeper and deeper, and if they're just casual, they can still learn about the characters and the story, but they'll do that by going in another direction
[rose colored glasses on]
Wait, if all that means that low int. character gets different story then, say, diplomat, I approve.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Players should be able to choose how deep they want to enter the story, the plot. If they're really hardcore, they can really dig deeper and deeper and deeper, and if they're just casual, they can still learn about the characters and the story, but they'll do that by going in another direction
[rose colored glasses on]
Wait, if all that means that low int. character gets different story then, say, diplomat, I approve.

I think they instead mean "we write the lifestory of a character, but if you can't be arsed to click and listen to it all, that's fine too".

Skill based limitations are BAD in today's world, remember!

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

MI: We are not limiting ourselves to using a certain set of rules, but rather we're looking at it as a general guideline

The fuck? I thought one of the best things about them using an established p&p setting this time was that it has a way better rule set, than any half-arsed abomination they had in the past, or could ever hope to conjure up. So instead of adapting it for their own needs, they conjure up another half-arsed abomination of their own. Yeah, i guess i was naive. This is going to be like Shadowrun all over again.
Oh and for the record, i liked The Witcher games, but i think they both had very weak mechanics and poorly thought out rules systems.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Will their Sci-fi game be about the Harvesters that come every 50000 years to reap every potato from the galaxy?

I don't think a race of sentient machines that destroy galaxies are part of the Cyberpunk PnP setting.

The complete lack and focus of the PnP setting of Stats/Skills will probably be worse.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I honestly don't know what you people expect from an 'AAA' developer. A full port of a P&P ruleset? Oh yeah, that's happening. Besides, I don't know about Cyberpunk but some P&P rules just don't port well to PC, specially to an action RPG.

At best you'd have something horribly butchered like in Bloodlines.

made

Arcane
I've never played Cyberpunk PnP (or even heard about it until now) but I'm going to be fucking pissed if the game doesn't follow the ruleset to the letter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom