Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex reviews Risen 2: Dark Waters

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen 2: Dark Waters

When Piranha Bytes, the brains behind the Gothic series, released Risen in 2009, Darth Roxor went ahead and reviewed it, favorably. Needless to say, he was giddy like a schoolgirl at the prospect of more Risen goodness and agreed to review the sequel for us, Risen 2: Dark Waters.
Risen 2 picks up a year or so after the events of its predecessor. Once again you’ll take control of the nameless dude and proceed on a mission of glorious titan smashing. There are, however, a few problems that stand in your way. First is the fact that after joining up with the Inquisition, the protagonist has become a total bum, seeking refuge at the bottom of the bottle, which has made him pretty much forget all the skills he’s learned before, as well as making him a total wimp. Second problem is that, apparently, the whole civilised world is on fire because Ursegor, the lovely chap whose gear you needed to defeat the fire titan in Risen 1, has gone berserk. That’s why the last human remnants decided they need to evacuate as soon as possible to the “new world”. This is where the third problem arises – all long-ranged sea travel is completely impossible, since the sea titan, Mara, has been awoken, and she’s not much happy about it, that’s why she keeps sinking all human ships that want to go anywhere. This is where you come in – a rumour has it that four pirate captains managed to obtain powerful artifacts that can control, or even destroy Mara. The player character is thus sent as a secret agent by the Inquisition to find the captains and get the artifacts from them, or even persuade them to join the fight against the titan.

As you can see, changes have crept into the world of Risen. Lots of them, in fact. Probably the most visible change is the shift into a pirate themed setting – but that will be addressed later on. What first needs to be discussed is what the hell was Piranha Bytes thinking when they designed the game’s mechanics.

Let’s start by taking a look at the character system. The typical Gothic formula of learning points has been almost completely scrapped. Instead, you’ve got something vaguely resembling skill trees – the character has 5 main attributes: Blades, Firearms, Cunning, Toughness and Voodoo. Each of these attributes has 3 different skills assigned to it, as well as a number of talents. You raise attributes with glory, the local equivalent of experience that you get for just about everything you do. Skills are raised by attributes and certain talents. To get talents, you need to find specific teachers and pay them – if your assigned attribute is high enough.

Read the full article: RPG Codex reviews Risen 2: Dark Waters

Why do we review popamole games again? No need to post this at all. Just keep in in the archives, or better yet, retardoland.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Thanks for the review. I was already put off by Steam Only - DLC shit, but now I won't even get this when it will be on sale for $5.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As DR concludes, it boggles me how this game is a near total regression from Risen 1. You'd think they would have learned that they were actually going in the right direction with the first game but just needed to polish some stuff like a better end game, etc. This is probably the final nail in the coffin for PB.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Some PB renegade should write a tell-all about Deep Silver's demands so we can separate the bad ideas from the bad execution.

The review was very thorough, but the quality of writing felt off to me. Eh, whatever. I hope it sticks in the craw of fanboys like Brother None.:)

Mortmal

Arcane
The review is in depth and accurate, really nothing else to add he covered everything . A complete trainwreck for a game i was really looking forward , luckily i still found good games to play recentlty , but its still a big disapointment being a big fan of gothic 1-2.

JDR13

Arcane
The review is in depth and accurate

That would depend on whether or not you share the same opinion as the reviewer. I thought he exaggerated on a few points, and he makes Risen 2 out to be much worse than it actually is.

I agree it's no Gothic 1-2, but it's better than Gothic 3 was at release, and it's certainly no Arcania.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This is probably the final nail in the coffin for PB.

Has any sales figures been released publicly from Deep Silver? I also wonder how many more "Risen" games they have contracted with Deep Silver.

I'd be willing to bet if PB used the Gothic licence (of which they now own) and did a KS with it, it would do well, provided they went back to the basics of what made the first 2 games great. I'd back them.

Clickfests, bad controls, water that teleports you out, slow animations, stunlocks, pointless skills... This game sounds like it was made to compete for the most annoying game ever.

I'm glad I read this review because the other thread seemed a lot less critical. Reminds me how even general Codex forum opinions can be very misleading

Saxon1974

Prophet
Thanks for the review Darth Roxor.

Sounds like a big step back from Risen, dumbed down attributes\skills\, more linear game, no thanks.

Also, I dont like download only games so I might pick this up once it hits the bargain bin...maybe

circ

Arcane
As DR concludes, it boggles me how this game is a near total regression from Risen 1. You'd think they would have learned that they were actually going in the right direction with the first game but just needed to polish some stuff like a better end game, etc. This is probably the final nail in the coffin for PB.

FUCK YES!

Risen 1 was disappointing, and gave me a headache anyway.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'd be willing to bet if PB used the Gothic licence (of which they now own) and did a KS with it, it would do well, provided they went back to the basics of what made the first 2 games great. I'd back them.

As would I but I don't really see that happening.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
All things considered it is still a good game, but definately a step in the wrong direction for PB. The loss of their trademark things like great exploration and all the impressive ambient stuff npc-s used to do in their earlier games is especially painful for me, as is cutting some key skills like prospecting and hunting related skills. The setting is great in theory, but the writing to support it is very weak (and it has never been PB's forte anyway). And all the endless fedex quests are a slap in the face to all the old PB fans.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, PB is like this:
  • Gothic 1 - good
  • Gothic 2 - very good
  • Gothic 3 - mediocre
  • Risen - mediocre (though better than G3)
  • Risen 2 - shit

Seems like they are going downhill :(

Jashiin

Arcane
All things considered it is still a good game, but definately a step in the wrong direction for PB. The loss of their trademark things like great exploration and all the impressive ambient stuff npc-s used to do in their earlier games is especially painful for me, as is cutting some key skills like prospecting and hunting related skills. The setting is great in theory, but the writing to support it is very weak (and it has never been PB's forte anyway). And all the endless fedex quests are a slap in the face to all the old PB fans.

All things considered it's shit beyond shit. What has happened here is the classic mistake of alienating your loyal fans and trying to dumb down to gain support from an audience that expects mass effect like production values that has no interest in some weird ugly slashfest from germany. This game is a flagbearer of :decline: and probably the end of PB.

Mortmal

Arcane
The review is in depth and accurate

That would depend on whether or not you share the same opinion as the reviewer. I thought he exaggerated on a few points, and he makes Risen 2 out to be much worse than it actually is.

I agree it's no Gothic 1-2, but it's better than Gothic 3 was at release, and it's certainly no Arcania.

Wich points are exagerated ? I dont think any are, i started the game with an open mind with the enw setting , and probably even biased toward pyranah bytes as i like their games, i am not flaming every games there ala skyway and yet i had the exact same impressions when playing the game.
Its no arcania ? its very close of it , graphically equivalent , dumb plot , weck of a combat system , lets say risen 2 has the head submerging from the pool of shit while arcania is deep down .

Achilles

Arcane
That was an interesting read, although I disagree with it in a number of key points. Maybe it's because I was never a diehard PB fan but I thought the game was rather fun. Not as good as Risen of course, but still fun in its own right.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
For a new player, the game might seem *decent*. But for a PB fan, this game is a disgrace.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

All things considered it's still a good game, but then you list all areas in which it can and does fail painfully?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom