Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Arkane's Raf Colantonio and Harvey Smith: From Origin to Bethesda @ The Verge

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Arkane Studios; Arx Fatalis; Deus Ex; Harvey Smith; Raphael Colantonio

The Verge has put up a fascinating retrospective article about the careers of Arkane Studios' Raphael Colantonio and Harvey Smith. Have a snip on Raf, which incidentally touches on EA and the evil that is consoles, as well as on Richard Garriott's gaming habits:

It is 1997. Raph Colantonio, at EA France, is beginning to wonder if he would be better off somewhere else.

After four years working his way into production from the computer help desk, recording French voice-overs, doing what needs to be done, Colantonio realizes that EA France has changed. The company that had once prided itself on acquiring and nourishing creative minds has turned a corner. Working there is no longer fun.

"This machine called PS1 came out and that was the beginning of a big, big shift," Colantono told Polygon. "Suddenly EA didn't like Origin. All they liked were sports games and that's the new thing for EA — consoles, sports. 'Don't like it? Sorry.'"

[...] After another month in limbo, Arkane finally signs with publisher JoWood. Arx Fatalis ships in 2002.

"It was a disaster," Colantonio said. But it is done. "The game was really good. And that was satisfying more than making sales back then. Because you need to start somewhere, and we came out of nowhere and made this game."

Arkane is nominated for the "Rookie of the Year" award at the 2003 Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. But there is better news in store for Colantonio: Richard Garriott is playing his game.

"He's known for not playing any games," Colantonio said. "He was stuck in [Arx Fatalis]. He didn't have enough arrows, so he asked me for a script to have infinite arrows. And I was like, 'Fuck yeah!' So I custom-made a script for him so that he could have his magic bow that shot as many arrows as he wanted."​

And one on Harvey:

It is 1996. The cancelation of Technosaur shakes the last remaining threads of Harvey Smith's faith in Origin. Like Colantonio, he sees it as a company that has lost its way. He spends a short time working on Ultima Online, Origin's massively multiplayer game based on the Ultima franchise, but his heart isn't in it. He decides to move on.

"I could have stayed," Smith told Polygon, "But I was just done with this place. It was just too crazy, and the people who love games don't run the company anymore."

[...] Smith has ideas for a spy game. Spector wants to make a science-fiction action game. The two men begin bashing together mission concepts and design ideas.

"I was trying to ground it more," Smith said. "Like, you're in one hotel room across the courtyard. Twenty stories up, there's a pool and the guy that's the target is in the other hotel room and you have to use a laser microphone to eavesdrop on the conversation and then assassinate him in a way that makes it look like an accident ... we were exchanging ideas like that."

The exchange leads to a job offer, and Smith reunites with Spector at Ion Storm Austin. The game they build together is called Deus Ex.​

Clicking here will bring you to the full text of the retrospective. It's really good.

Thanks abnaxus!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
mondblut: This article reveals that LARPERS DESTROYED ORIGIN!!

SlDQu.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pretty great up until the end.
Colantonio says that this appreciation of invisible values, this shared love of games no one else is making, is what drew Arkane to Bethesda in the first place.
"They make games which again are consistent with our culture and values," Colantonio said. "They have games that are super hardcore. If you look at Arx Fatalis and the [Elder Scrolls] games, we're pretty close. They totally get our values and vice versa."
Not just hardcore, super hardcore.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pretty great up until the end.
Colantonio says that this appreciation of invisible values, this shared love of games no one else is making, is what drew Arkane to Bethesda in the first place.
"They make games which again are consistent with our culture and values," Colantonio said. "They have games that are super hardcore. If you look at Arx Fatalis and the [Elder Scrolls] games, we're pretty close. They totally get our values and vice versa."
Not just hardcore, super hardcore.

That reminds me of this post.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
This is an excellent article.

This part gets that feeling in the gut.

Harvey ignores the feedback from EA and presses on. EA calls his bluff. Technosaur is canceled.
"It's my fault that it got canceled. But it got canceled. ... All but three of us got fired. I watched some of my friends carry boxes down the hall with HR and I felt the weight of the world. Like, 'Wow, I did this. We worked on this game for a year. We spent a million dollars [and] a bunch of people got fired.'"

Tigranes

Arcane
"We got approached by Bethesda," Smith says. "There was a moment when I met with Todd and we had lunch and ... it was like ... 'Goddamn, this guy actually understands what made these games special.'"

Let the games begin!

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Richard Garriott is playing his game.

"He's known for not playing any games," Colantonio said. "He was stuck in [Arx Fatalis]. He didn't have enough arrows, so he asked me for a script to have infinite arrows.
This is the key to understanding Richard Garriott.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Richard Garriott is playing his game.

"He's known for not playing any games," Colantonio said. "He was stuck in [Arx Fatalis]. He didn't have enough arrows, so he asked me for a script to have infinite arrows.

This is the key to understanding Richard Garriott.

It doesn't make anything better. But it's always good learn how history happened be as f***ed up as it turned out to be.

I don't know. I'm still hiding behind a cardboardbox barrier of goldbox games, with a datasette-refunctioned-to-a-flail, licking my
wounds, throwing burning 5 1/4" discs at everyone who says it's save to come out, there are signs of incline on the horizon.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Good article. Both interviewees seem to be highly infantile but it might simply be the giddily! style of the article itself that fueled such impression.

Regardless, interesting read but it only made me more sceptical about Dishonored... I just can't trust anyone who says so many positive things about Bethsesda. :(

Wait till they get 84'ed. :smug:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
They're part of Zenimax, so that won't happen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom