Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Diablo III proves old-school Fallout can do well today

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Diablo III; Fallout

Pixelitis put up an editorial pondering the subject.

Now in 2012, as I troll the depths of Hell in Diablo III, I’m now more than ever certain that that a new isometric Fallout game would work (and sell) in today’s market.

For me, the widespread critical acclaim for Diablo III - a game that still plays much like Diablo II – tells me that making an isometric PC exclusive title isn’t going to lead to lackluster sales. In its first week, Diablo III received rave reviews and sold a record-breaking 6.3 million units.

An isometric game making bank in 2012? Inconceivable!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:notsureifserious:

Oh.. OooH!
"Patrick Kulikowski Says:
June 26th, 2012 at 6:01 pm
@Quarex: You’re speaking from the perspective of someone who grew up with and preferred Wasteland’s universe to Fallout’s. Correct, I have never played Wasteland (I hope to someday), but I am speaking as one who started with Fallout and was more familiar and enamored with that universe. Fallout being the literal aftermath of Brian Fargo’s inability to claim rights to the original Wasteland setting doesn’t sully Fallout for me, personally. Wasteland 2′s details and setting will no doubt initially appeal to you more than it will to me, even though I am still looking forward to it immensely."

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For me, the widespread critical acclaim for Diablo III tells me that making an isometric PC exclusive title isn’t going to lead to lackluster sales.

And you need Diablo 3 to know that, you hype-swallower, marketing shit-slurper, insolent fuck?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
See, there's some good from Diablo 3 after all? :troll:

What a leap of logic these writers have nowadays... :lol:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Troll is actually used as a verb. Mostly as 'looking for' or 'hunting'

to fish for or in with a moving line, working the line up or down with a rod, as in fishing for pike, or trailing the line behind a slow-moving boat.
to move (the line or bait) in doing this.

waywardOne

Arcane
Right, because isometric was the sticking point for PC games. Get past that and voila!

Marsal

Arcane
RxrlP.gif

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
What.... The....

I think my IQ just lost a point on the stupidity of the logic here.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Bioshock:Infinite proves old school System Shock 2 can do well today

Civ V proves old school Alpha Centauri can do well today

Firaxis's X-COM proves old school Jagged Alliance can do well today

Black

Arcane
See, D3 does you fags a huge favour, showing that true, hardcore isometric cRPGs are still viable and yet you throw shit at it:rpgcodex:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We all knew this day was coming, gaming journalists have officially dropped 2 spots on the world IQ rankings:

Old:
Insects
>Gaming journos
Plants
Loaves of bread
Rocks
FretRider

New:
Insects
Plants
Loaves of bread
>Gaming journos
Rocks
FretRider

And it's by no means a clear-cut case, rocks are ahead in several categories.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
We all knew this day was coming, gaming journalists have officially dropped 2 spots on the world IQ rankings:

Old:
Insects
>Gaming journos
Plants
Loaves of bread
Rocks
FretRider

New:
Insects
Plants
Loaves of bread
>Gaming journos
Rocks
FretRider

And it's by no means a clear-cut case, rocks are ahead in several categories.

- Are you implying that gaming journalist were living, thinking things at one point? I mean, you put them above plants and rocks but just below insects. I thought they were just automated programs of shit like gaudaost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom