Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Jason Anderson Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Jason Anderson; Troika Games

Gamestar.ru interviewed ex-Troika Jason Anderson. Have a snippet.
We are very disappointed that the majority of the developers make us manage a no-name deaf-and-dump Chosen. Should the main character of the role-playing game be a «full-bodied» like Adam Jensen from Deus Ex: Human Revolution? Or it would be harm to identification of the player with the character?

Troika always believed the player should dictate the character they wished to create. This is modeled after traditional PnP RPG’s and we wanted to give the player that experience on the PC. We firmly belived that in order for a game to truly be an RPG, it had to be that way. However, after playing Planescape: Torment, one of my favorite games, I changed my opinion. I think there is room for both models. This all being said I believe pre-defined character’s work best in today's game environment. Contemporary games rely heavily on cinematics and pre-rendered assets making it much easier on production to go with the pre-defined character. It would be very difficult to create the variety of art necessary for someone to create their own character from scratch and also give people the in-depth interactions that they’ve become accustomed to.

So, Gamestar.ru is disappointed that some (older) RPGs didn't feature a fully voiced, set protagonist. Them russians are so whacky. It's not an RPG if you can't play a dwarven fighter-cleric, everyone knows that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They copy-paste that question in every interview they do.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jason Anderson said:
As for console RPGs, I believe Mass Effect is the game to beat right now.

Not Skyrim?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom