Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview NWN - Eye of The Beholder Module Interview at HomeLanFed

Mistress

Liturgist
Tags: Neverwinter Nights

<a href="http://www.homelanfed.com">HomeLanFed</a> have posted an <a href="http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=11152">interview</a> with the creator of the <a href="http://www.fileplanet.com/files/110000/117606.shtml">Eye of The Beholder module</a> for <a href="http://nwn.bioware.com">Neverwinter Nights</a>, <b>Rick Francis</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>HomeLAN - First, what was your reaction when Neverwinter Nights was finally released?
<br>
<br>
Rick Francis - I was very excited, I was one of the original beta testers for NWN and we got to test the game all the way up to the end of chapter 1. I couldn’t wait to play the full game and see how the rest of the story unfolded. BioWare did an outstanding job on NWN, and to this day is without a doubt one of the best RPG games on the market.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Oh well....

Spazmo

Erudite
Is the module any good, though? I know the original was good, but sloppy modding + general sloppiness of NWN could make it stink.

Mistress

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
Is the module any good, though? I know the original was good, but sloppy modding + general sloppiness of NWN could make it stink.

I'll let you know when I've played it, probably in the next day or so.

Mistress

Liturgist
Croaker said:
He actually wanted to see more of that awful story? Doesn't make me feel to good about his own storytelling abilities.

My sentiments exactly....I can understand him being into the game from a module creating point of view etc, but actually being motivated to see the rest of the story....I could barely bring myself to play past chapter 2....it was a struggle.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spazmo said:

MrBrown said the dialogue was pretty sloppy in it. Here's the part that bothers me though:

HomeLAN- How hard was it to create the module you wanted to make for the game?

Rick Francis- It has been very hard; with our mod we had to make many changes to keep up with the players expectations of the current era. We have created over 200 new magic weapons and armor along with many magic items. We have taken a lot of heat because of all the items we placed in the game, when we started out to make Eye of the Beholder; we created it for a multiplayer game only so we placed a lot of items, the one thing I hated when I played Diablo was playing with greedy players. When you killed a boss, you had to be really fast at grabbling as much as you could. So we placed many items to try and defeat this type of player.

There's another part where he talks about adding a lot of ph4t l3wt because he wanted to make the bosses tougher in it. So, rather than keeping the formula the same, he just makes insanely powerful boss monsters and counters it with insane drops.

It's not much wonder he likes BioWare's games.

Jed

Cipher
Something I noticed in this interview was the only thing Mr. Francis seemed to lack enthusiasm about is the number of available monster models included with the game. This, of course, leads me to wonder why Bioware wouldn't have included some of the most enduringly popular monsters in the initial game: Kobolds, Mind Flayers, and Beholders?

Though I'm sure I already know the answer...

Deathy

Liturgist
XJEDX said:
Something I noticed in this interview was the only thing Mr. Francis seemed to lack enthusiasm about is the number of available monster models included with the game. This, of course, leads me to wonder why Bioware wouldn't have included some of the most enduringly popular monsters in the initial game: Kobolds, Mind Flayers, and Beholders?

This also shits all over the "D&D Toolset" argument that Bioware fanboys have for NWN.
If it was a "D&D Toolset", how come many popular monsters are missing? How come they restrict the setting to Neverwinter and nearby areas through a lack of tilesets?

Basically, the answer to all of this points to one thing.
NWN is a game with a packaged toolset, not a toolset with an example campaign, although the shoddy campaign would be somewhat excusable if it were.
Even as a demonstration of what you can do with the toolset it is fairly poor.
What about variables that carry on through modules?
What about dialouge that effects the outcome of events?

And I'm not going to even start with the limitations of the game engine itself.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
XJEDX said:

They claimed the Beholder was too hard to make with their model animation system, so they didn't include one. Basically, the same excuse BioWare gave for cloaks and other things. It'll too hard for them, so the mod community can do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom