Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone Interview at Gather Your Party

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Chris Avellone; Fallout: New Vegas; InXile Entertainment; Obsidian Entertainment; Wasteland 2

Gather Your Party has interviewed Obsidian's Chris Avellone on matters related to Wasteland 2, Fallout: New Vegas DLC, and the industry and game design in general. Have a snippet:

I imagine things have been pretty exciting for you now that you’re going to be involved in Wasteland 2. Can you tell us a bit of what you’ll be doing and what kind of role you might be playing in its development?

Chris: I’m doing a bunch of things so far, more than I expected. I’m helping with the vision doc, designing opening areas and the area design process, and helping build templates for dialogues and area specs. My contribution isn’t nearly as much as Fargo, Findley, Keenan and the rest of the inXile team, however.

When not doing physical design, I offer feedback and critiques and forward any random tidbits and elements I’ve dug out of my latest Wasteland 1 playthrough (“Remember when there used to be a West Germany?” “Hey, Reagan had a hover tank named after him!” “Needles used carrier pigeons as their communications center?!”).

Overall, I’m at inXile about 1.5-2 days during the week, either in design meetings, checking out Unity, or typing away on my headphones, and I love it.

With your industry experience, how great an impact would you say publishers have on a game’s final design?

Chris: Publisher impact on a game design varies. THQ, for example, trusts us to handle the RPG elements in South Park. Bethesda trusted us to handle the Fallout franchise based on our experience. SEGA left the Alpha Protocol story and branching alone (and even agreed to let it be rewritten and re-recorded), but did have requests for the more action-based game mechanics and implementation – it’s our job to listen, digest, and if we disagree, we raise a critique, and if the critique is ignored or clarified with additional information, then you move forward.

Just for fun, if you had the means to make any kind of game you wanted, what kind would it be and what features would you implement?

Chris: There are a few things: Giving the player their own theme music they could customize from their own local computer soundtracks or grabbing them from the game’s music list – they could summon their theme music like a spell effect and gain bonuses while the theme music was playing (we did this in our Fallout pen and paper game at Interplay).

Also, I’d love to see more games that do design and gameplay with audio – one thing I’ve always wanted to try is have “audiomancers” who can collect SFX as audio weapons from the environment. As an example, they could attack or eavesdrop on a wolf, listen to its idle bark or dying snarl, record it, and use that SFX as pieces to create “audio spells” to attack other opponents. It would add to the exploration and sneaking in an RPG where you pay more attention to the wind rushing through the trees, the coughing/snoring of an unsuspecting guard, the crashing of the waves, or even the crunch of your feet in snow.

I’d also love the chance to do “true war” in a fantasy setting a la Black Company and the Malazan Book of the Fallen – both of those series showcase what “war” could be like in a fantasy setting in fascinating ways. The Deadhouse Gates in particular, still haunts me with some of the battles in that book.

Lastly, one of our systems designers, Matt MacLean proposed a “honeycomb mission structure” for Alpha Protocol a long time ago, and I’d love to do a game that used that structure for missions. The idea with a Honeycomb Mission Structure is that you’re presented with one central goal, and a number of satellite missions that you can optionally choose to take on that have impacts on each other and the goal mission as well, kind of like a hub of missions surrounding a central mission. You can pick and choose the missions that cater to your playstyle and then use those to achieve your objective.​

For even more Avellone, check out the full interview.

Leimreу

Novice
Wait, they're still working on that South Park RPG? Wasn't it canceled?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
:desu:MCA, share us your wisdom. We'll listen. Audiomancers, honeycomb mission structure. I want these is RPGs. I know honeycomb was in AP, but I want more of it.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Giving the player their own theme music they could customize from their own local computer soundtracks or grabbing them from the game’s music list – they could summon their theme music like a spell effect and gain bonuses while the theme music was playing (we did this in our Fallout pen and paper game at Interplay).

wat

:what:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Chris: I have a rule after Fallout 2 that I don’t want to ever add any “in joke” name characters named after developers in our titles, although it’s not always up to me.
I was wondering why Feargus Orc-heart appeared in SOZ despite that policy.

SEGA left the Alpha Protocol story and branching alone (and even agreed to let it be rewritten and re-recorded)
Still :smug:

Chris: It’s going great. Never thought we’d get the chance to work on South Park – when we first got the call from those guys, we thought that Red 5 in the office above was punking us.
Then we wondered how a South Park RPG would work, Matt and Trey explained it with a simple cinematic, and it all clicked. Hope to have more news soon (by the time this interview hits, that info may have already been released).
I will say that there’s nothing better than being in a room with Matt and Trey and they start getting excited enough about a questline that they’ll start acting out the quest line in the character voices. Pure gold.
That's some nice enthusiasm you have there Chris.:mca:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Giving the player their own theme music they could customize from their own local computer soundtracks or grabbing them from the game’s music list – they could summon their theme music like a spell effect and gain bonuses while the theme music was playing (we did this in our Fallout pen and paper game at Interplay).

wat

Think of it as a bard song, which empowers the party in D&D.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I am sorry, but this still sounds pretty cheesy and "meta" as hell. Inbefore players importing Linkin Park songs to buff their emotionally tormented partymembers, people casting "Highway to hell" to slay demon spawn faster etc.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I am sorry, but this still sounds pretty cheesy and "meta" as hell. Inbefore players importing Linkin Park songs to buff their emotionally tormented partymembers, people casting "Highway to hell" to slay demon spawn faster etc.

Think about the possibilities, though. How about rickrolling your friend? Change his song when he's not looking. :troll:

But yeah, sometimes his ideas are disconcerting. This is up there with the high-school RPG... thing.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I’d also love the chance to do “true war” in a fantasy setting a la Black Company and the Malazan Book of the Fallen – both of those series showcase what “war” could be like in a fantasy setting in fascinating ways. The Deadhouse Gates in particular, still haunts me with some of the battles in that book.
:love:

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Also, I’d love to see more games that do design and gameplay with audio – one thing I’ve always wanted to try is have “audiomancers” who can collect SFX as audio weapons from the environment. As an example, they could attack or eavesdrop on a wolf, listen to its idle bark or dying snarl, record it, and use that SFX as pieces to create “audio spells” to attack other opponents. It would add to the exploration and sneaking in an RPG where you pay more attention to the wind rushing through the trees, the coughing/snoring of an unsuspecting guard, the crashing of the waves, or even the crunch of your feet in snow.
That sounds really neat, I'd kickstart that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's been done:

1327500452_myth-the-fallen-lords.jpg

Make a Myth RPG, MCA!

hiver

Not done by a publisher it wouldnt.

also, yeah, that decision to scrape and rewrite a big section of Alpha Brotocol was sure a genius move in hindisght eh?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Think about the possibilities, though. How about rickrolling your friend? Change his song when he's not looking. :troll:

But yeah, sometimes his ideas are disconcerting. This is up there with the high-school RPG... thing.

Open a random chest expecting some phat l00t and instead you get this.

:mhd:

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

wat

THIS!

With al due respect.. is he on acid?
Surely he means a futuristic bard or something, right? otherwise it doesn't really make a lot of sence.
But even then, i'm not sure it would be a good idea.
I guess one has to see it in action? :?

edit:

grammar

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

wat

THIS!

With al do respect.. is he on acid?
Surely he means a futuristic bard or something, right? otherwise it doesn't really make a lot of sence.
But even then, i'm not sure it would be a good idea.
I guess one has to see it in action? :?

It's one thing to bring out ideas that fits within the context of RPG he's making of sorts, but custom battle theme buffing the characters? Yeah sure, man. Looking forward to that rap radio station increasing driving speed in GTA V while having russkie stations on increases weapon accuracy and ROF.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I was picturing something like that, yes :lol:

In his defence.. war drums (i.e music) to lift morale or to intimidate (and therefore raise/decrease stats in a game) is a realistic concept.
But i guess that's probably not what he meant by that.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mark: Besides the revival of “dead genres” do you think we will see a difference in games made by developers who utilize crowdsourcing like Kickstarter in contrast to developers that work with publishers?
Chris: Yes, on a high level, they’ll make more interesting designs and on a low level, they’ll be more than happy to make use of the keyboard for inputs rather than worrying about mapping it to a controller. This sounds like a minor thing, but it’s not. I can’t tell you how happy I was to be driving home from inXile one evening trying to figure out how we’d pull off a function using the controller, and it occurred to me THAT IT’S NOT OUR PROBLEM ANY MORE, and the “issue” was solved. THANK GOD.

Best part of the interview for me!!!!!!!!!
:bravo:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Aside major (and fucking awesome) adventure game "Stasis" I still don't see the revival of the dead art of prerendered isometric gameplay.

Fix that, Chris!

:rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom