Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin, Larian's Turn- and Party-Based RPG

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios

In today's news that I believe no one saw coming, Larian Studios seems to be working on a turn- and party-based Ultima-like RPG, according to a French-language preview at Jeuxvideo. (Google Translate is your friend.) PC gamer also has a preview, and it's in English. It makes the game sound like a co-op title (although the French preview claims you can play the game solo if you want):

Divinity: Original Sin has been announced by Belgium’s Larian Studios. It’s an isometric RPG inspired by Ultima VII, having jettisoned the third person viewpoint of Divinity II: Ego Draconis. It’s closer in style to the studio’s first game, Divine Divinity: so close in fact that Original Sin will end where 2002′s Divine Divinity sets off. So close that Larian head Sven Vincke told me that he wanted to make Original Sin specifically to “address frustrations with Divine Divinity.”

But this is more than a remake. Divine Divinity looks like a much prettified version of top-down roleplayers like Neverwinter Nights, but Larian are adding some advancements: both modern, in a dedicated co-op story, and older, in turn-based combat. We’ve got more details below.

Vincke, keen to have an RPG he could play alongside his girlfriend, has ensured that Original Sin was built for two players. The game’s two protagonists are, fittingly, a man and a woman. She’s an amnesiac murder victim, somehow resurrected from the dead with the child-like wonder of someone who’s never seen the world before. He’s a hulking mass of muscle once consigned to a life of eternal torture. Which, you’d assume given you can play as him, he’s escaped from. They begin the game in the ruins of a tower, the remnants of a magic battle between orcs and not-orcs swirling around them. Somehow they’ve survived the maelstrom – the game sets out to find what it is about each that let them do that.

Functionally, conversations are built around two players. Responses are traded back and forth. Disagree on a punishment for a drug dealer, as in the example I was shown, and you’ll get a chance to agree with your partner. Disagree again and you’ll hand the choice over to your character sheets, charisma scores deciding your quest fate.

Combat, too, is built for partnership. Waddle into monster-slapping range and the game flips into a grid, allowing turn-based battling where each participant has a pool of action points. Your partner can either choose to get involved in the scuffle, or skip off around the game’s forests and townships, carrying on his real-time business as his partner exists in a turn-based plane.​

This isn't Divinity III, but rather a spin-off title. Gamebanshee's gallery has some screenshots of the game that you might want to check out.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I wonder,are you restricted to these 2 characters or can you add some more NPCs to your team?

Also :bounce:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Content editor for maps and quests integrated with Steamworks.
:hmmm:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I wonder,are you restricted to these 2 characters or can you add some more NPCs to your team?
It's up to 4 players, so my guess is there are more characters later on. The 2-character party is the default, probably for story reasons.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
fuckin absolutely pumped in the ass for this fuck yeah dd was so superior to DiFLABlo it hurts my colon
why would you even compare those two? diablo was a pure itemgrind hack'n slash, divinity was an actual rpg.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
6gzmu.png

Untermensch

Augur
What a coincidence. I started playing Divine divinity for the first time 3 days ago. So far it's very good.
Don't like the art-style very much, but I can live with it. These days you can't be picky about turn-based party RPGs.
Also Content editor?
:yeah:

Angthoron

Arcane
Day One must-buy, fuuuuuuuuck yeah.

Edity-edit: Would like to know if it's single-playable as well though. Sounds like it is, though.

MCA
Vincke, keen to have an RPG he could play alongside his girlfriend, has ensured that Original Sin was built for two players.

Two things ruin great ambitions: money and pussy. People either end up selling out for money or becoming a cuckold manbitch.

This sounds very consolish. Two fixed main characters. Man buried under equipment. Woman showing meat. Mention of co-op with girlfriends. Could it get any more casual? You're a moron if you expect any depth to the combat just because it's turn based. It's turn-based so that you can play the game with non-gamers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obvious VotS trolling is obvious

I bet the game will never earn 900,000 dollars, too :smug:

Stabwound

Arcane
Whatever you do, don't go read the Larian forums thread on this game. I've seen several mentions of disappointment over how it's isometric and turn-based. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom