Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Skyrim Update 1.6 Adds Mounted Combat

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Yeah, so what the title says.

The team at Bethesda Game Studios is excited to announce another new feature making its way into Skyrim… Mounted Combat! Like the recently added Kinect support (360) and new kill cameras, this highly-requested feature that was seen in the Skyrim Game Jam video is arriving for free. In fact, by opting into the latest Steam Beta Update, PC users can check out the feature today. As far as release on other platforms, we’ll let you know when we have more information.

Thanks again to all our fans, we remain committed to supporting the game through our free updates, mod tools, and more. And yes, we’re still working on our first add-on, Dawnguard – some great stuff to show soon, stay tuned!

1.6 Update (all platforms unless specified)

NEW FEATURES
- Mounted Combat
- Skyrim now allows you to do melee and ranged combat while riding a horse​

The patch also adds some bug fixes; you can find the list as well as the instructions on downloading the beta update on Steam here.

In before horse armor DLC.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
So I saw the title and thought "naw, Bee must be shitting us".
The patch also adds some bug fixes
Hahahahahahahahahahaha... Seriously, there is no mention of fixing specific broken quests and there is a lot of those. I never in my life played a game with so many broken quests.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I've got to say - even though Skyrim has its fair share of problems, it really has been the game that's kept on giving for me. Being able to go back to it every month or two and try out new mods or updates for a few days has definitely been pretty cool.

MCA
That was a horrid presentation by Todd Howard.

Also, he calls our day the golden age of gaming. Without a single mention of Kickstarter projects. Conformist piece of shit.

MCA
I've got to say - even though Skyrim has its fair share of problems, it really has been the game that's kept on giving for me. Being able to go back to it every month or two and try out new mods or updates for a few days has definitely been pretty cool.

And what did those mods provide new?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer

Stuff like overhauled magic system, new weapons and items, monsters, quests, melee combat overhauls, graphics updates, etc. it doesn't really fix the core problems with the game (crappy character system and crappy writing) but it makes the "sandbox" side of play more interesting and varied. It's fun to just mess around with for an hour or two at a time.

Bulba

Learned
Got bored ages ago and there is no way I'm coming back into this game unless mounted combat will be as good as in m&b. Whomever can be bothered to play it let us know if it's actualy any good

Are enemies gonna attack while on horses too? Otherwise, it'll just be an unfair advantage. Could also be an efficient way of getting rid of critters without dismounting, unlike in Oblivion where you had to do that everytime you rode past a wolf (unless you had a really good horse)

Fixed issue where the shout buttons would stop working properly if users mashed LB and RB during cooldown with Kinect enabled (Xbox 360)

:lol:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Glad to see they went back to releasing free content like they did for Morrowind. The free plug-ins were nothing substantial but it was nice. Actually, they were probably on par with the early Oblivion dlc.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
it doesn't really fix the core problems with the game (crappy character system and crappy writing)
i'd say the dungeons are the games biggest failure. no good loot in most of them, no real enemy variety, the same, piss easy puzzle with minor variations repeated dozen of times, convenient, linear layouts with guaranteed quick exit after a lackluster boss battle.

it's not as unsalvageable as oblivion, but there still is a long way to go to make it an actual good game.

and my hopes for a updated daggerfall were crushed. again.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
i'd say the dungeons are the games biggest failure. no good loot in most of them, no real enemy variety, the same, piss easy puzzle with minor variations repeated dozen of times, convenient, linear layouts with guaranteed quick exit after a lackluster boss battle.

it's not as unsalvageable as oblivion, but there still is a long way to go to make it an actual good game.

and my hopes for a updated daggerfall were crushed. again.
Bethesda's problem is always scale. They're making 100-200 hour games, not 20-40 hour games, and that really makes it impossible to have tons of original content around every corner. As a player you just have to accept that the game is not going to be as interesting or deep on a micro level as smaller RPGs.

The real issue is that Bethesda don't actually do much with the open world. There aren't really any global mechanics that are interesting, no influence over the game world, character progression is unremarkable... they simply don't justify all the content they do provide because instead of having some massive game that provides a lengthy, well-paced and structured experience that grows over time, you just have a lot of mediocre dungeons to crawl through and fetch quests to do over and over again.

Malpercio

Arcane
So, how much until a patch fixes the bugs introduces by the mounted combat and the modders start to work on the combat itself so it becomes at least playable?

circ

Arcane

Stuff like overhauled magic system, new weapons and items, monsters, quests, melee combat overhauls, graphics updates, etc. it doesn't really fix the core problems with the game (crappy character system and crappy writing) but it makes the "sandbox" side of play more interesting and varied. It's fun to just mess around with for an hour or two at a time.
It's funny that what really is fans fixing shitty developers games for them, are these days called mods.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That was a horrid presentation by Todd Howard.

Also, he calls our day the golden age of gaming. Without a single mention of Kickstarter projects. Conformist piece of shit.

It's not like Bethimax really cares about games. Kickstarter is just something that bites into their piece of pie.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I've got to say - even though Skyrim has its fair share of problems, it really has been the game that's kept on giving for me.

Funny.

I was cleaning up my desktop yesterday, removing shortcuts and whatnot, and came across the Skyrim icon. I looked at it for a second before tossing it into the recycling bin and uninstalling the game thinking "I have no desire to ever load that piece of shit up again." And this is from a dude who really thought the game had potential...but instead:

The real issue is that Bethesda don't actually do much with the open world. There aren't really any global mechanics that are interesting, no influence over the game world, character progression is unremarkable... they simply don't justify all the content they do provide because instead of having some massive game that provides a lengthy, well-paced and structured experience that grows over time, you just have a lot of mediocre dungeons to crawl through and fetch quests to do over and over again.

Wait.

I've got to say - even though Skyrim has its fair share of problems, it really has been the game that's kept on giving for me.

What?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It's still fun to stomp around and hit guys with a sword. What can I say, I'm a simple man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom