Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview "I've never felt more pressure in my life": Brian Fargo Interviewed by Edge Online

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Brian Fargo; Kickstarter; Wasteland 2

Edge Online has interviewed InXile's Brian Fargo about Wasteland 2, crowd funding, Kicking It Forward, and other things. Have a snippet:

Those early '90s PC RPGs - Fallout, UFO, System Shock and so on - had so much promise, it felt like technology was the only thing holding them back. Now that side of things has caught up, do you think games have lived up to that promise?

I would argue to some degree no, because it became such a console world, and there was an oversimplification of things at points. I think part of the frustration we've tapped into by doing an old-school RPG is that a lot of people feel like games have been dumbed down, that the audience has been treated like they're not intelligent. Those games had a million words, there was a literary vibe to them.

They've become a little more shooter-oriented, and tutorials treat you are as if you've never played a game before. On console there's no keyboard, which removes a lot - being able to type in something as simple as a noun can really open up dialogue and choice. So I think they've become different, but by getting off the PC, things changed quite a bit.

Psychologically, how different is it working specifically for the fans, instead of a publisher?

I've never felt more pressure to deliver in my life. And trust me, they send me Twitter messages letting me know what they're going to do to me if I don't do a good job - messages I don't even want to repeat. But I've also never felt more confident, because I'm in such lock-step with the fans. In the beginning, I would get interview questions like, "What can you do to appeal to the more mass-market?" I don't care about the mass market. I know who my fans are, I know what they want. We're in this sort of constant communication now that a publisher would never allow.

I'm wholly focused. When doing products for publishers, I spent between 25 and 30 per cent of my time and budget making demos for trade shows or convincing them that I know what I'm doing. You're just constantly spinning your wheels. When you remove that, it’s a more organic process, you know? If we have an idea we like, we put it in. If later we decide we don't like it, we toss it. It's a more organic process, and it's a healthier one.

Being without a publisher doesn't just give you freedom to work how you want, but to say what you want.

Listen, I would go on press tours and be told in extremely strong terms to avoid using certain words. I wasn't allowed to use the word 'dungeon' when I was talking about Hunted: The Demon's Forge. I was unable to use the word. You get kinda stifled, you know? On one hand, they're paying the bills so I'm trying to be respectful; on the other, you end up going through these scenarios you're not comfortable with. If you don't stay to the script, you get these nasty emails if something wasn't said right so after a while, yeah, you don't want to talk to anyone anymore because it's not worth the fear of repercussions.

Will you delay Wasteland 2 if you need to?

We've committed to try to get this thing done by next October, but if push comes to shove I'm not going to put something out that isn't right. I've come too far, and accomplished too much, to put out a product that isn't right. But you always want to have a stick in the sand that everybody's shooting for, and we'll continue to do that. I've tried to build a lot of iteration time into the schedule and our approach, so it's still quite possible.​

The full interview can be found here.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't care about the mass market.

:salute:

At least for how he talks about mass market and publishers he deserved my money.

Of course, exactly because he knows who his target audience is now could be why he acts like this, but hey, it makes me feel warm inside.

Untermensch

Augur
Hope Fargo delivers.
Since I'm an optimist I'm going to predict that, if Wasteland 2 succedes, we will see more, atleast indie, turn based tactial RPG's in the future.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Failure here would be inexcusable, if he fails, he's dead to me.

That being said, I look forward to playing Wasteland 2.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Fargo said:
I don't care about the mass market.
We've committed to try to get this thing done by next October, but if push comes to shove I'm not going to put something out that isn't right. I've come too far, and accomplished too much, to put out a product that isn't right.
:bro:
Great things to hear, even if it's not ground-breaking news...still so refreshing to hear this kind of shit.​

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, I'm optimistic too but so far it's just "let's say exactly what our target audience wants to hear".

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
He doesn't have to fail. He knows how to make the games we like and love. All he has to do is trust in his own judgement.

Based on that interview, he is doing just that.

Morkar Left

I've never felt more pressure to deliver in my life.

Lithuanian Hitmen make you feel like this :smug:

Failure here would be inexcusable, if he fails, he's dead to me.

That being said, I look forward to playing Wasteland 2.

I doubt he fails. For me he could only fail if he turns it into a linear modern popamole rpg. But I don't expect a magnum opus, either. Just a good solid rpg.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Fargo will hand out a great game, not doubt, and there will be much rejoice.

Mr. Tim Schafer on the other hand, will probably do the same, but the legion of neo-nerd hispters kids that gave him money will be really pissed that he "only" did a great adventure game...not a AAA+ Mass Effect-without-combat title with multiplayer and voiced by Shia laBeouf....

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Fargo will hand out a great game, not doubt, and there will be much rejoice.

Mr. Tim Schafer on the other hand, will probably do the same, but the legion of neo-nerd hispters kids that gave him money will be really pissed that he "only" did a great adventure game...not a AAA+ Mass Effect-without-combat title with multiplayer and voiced by Shia laBeouf....

All the better for me, i'll enjoy the show. Glad I pledged for Tim too, he deserved it.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I doubt he fails. For me he could only fail if he turns it into a linear modern popamole rpg. But I don't expect a magnum opus, either. Just a good solid rpg.

That's all I'm expecting but I'm scared because his boys at inXile couldn't even slap together a dumb popamole game and now he's dusted off all these ancient motherfuckers whose best game was Wasteland (aside from MCA) so who knows how this'll go down. I hope he shows strong leadership ability and keeps them focused.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think part of the frustration we've tapped into by doing an old-school RPG is that a lot of people feel like games have been dumbed down, that the audience has been treated like they're not intelligent.

That's because the majority of them are not intelligent. That's what happens when every mouth-breathing moron who can pick up a TV-game controller and auto-aim his way to victory is considered a "HARD COER GAEMER". Games are dumbed down because dumb shit sells, and the good stuff is teh hard and doesn't have enough explosions or boobs in.

I don't care about the mass market. I know who my fans are, I know what they want. We're in this sort of constant communication now that a publisher would never allow.

I've come too far, and accomplished too much, to put out a product that isn't right.

:hero:

Seems my Kwa Kurrency Kash was well spent. With an attitude like that, even if the game isn't a great cult classic, there's no way that it will suck.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
all these ancient motherfuckers whose best game was Wasteland

Hmm, let's check out their records.

Michael Stackpole
MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries (1996), Activision, Inc.
Star Trek: Judgment Rites (Limited CD-ROM Collector's Edition) (1995), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Star Trek: Judgment Rites (1993), Unalis Corporation
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (1992), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Neuromancer (1989), Interplay Productions, Inc.
The Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate (1988), Electronic Arts, Inc.
Wasteland (1988), Electronic Arts, Inc.
Inhumane (1984)
:obviously:

Alan Pavlish
Deer Hunter (2003), Atari, Inc.
MTV Celebrity Deathmatch (2003), Gotham Games
Big Bass Fishing (2002), Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
Saltwater Sportfishing (2001), Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
Descent³ (1999), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Descent³ and Descent³ Mercenary (Dual Jewel Release) (1999), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now (1998), SCi Games Ltd.
Clay Fighter: Sculptor's Cut (1998), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Die by the Sword: Limb from Limb (1998), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Heart of Darkness (1998), Ocean Software Ltd.
Atomic Bomberman (1997), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Carmageddon (1997), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Clay Fighter 63 1/3 (1997), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Descent II (1997), MacPlay
Dragon Dice (1997), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Norse by Norse West: The Return of the Lost Vikings (1997), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Realms of the Haunting (1997), Gremlin Interactive Ltd.
Redneck Rampage (1997), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy (1997), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Casper (1996), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Mummy: Tomb of the Pharaoh (1996), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Sandwarriors (1996), Gremlin Interactive Ltd.
Shattered Steel (1996), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Solitaire Deluxe (1996), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Tempest 2000 (1996), Atari Corporation
Tempest X3 (1996), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Descent (1995), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Descent: Levels of the World (1995), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Flashback: The Quest for Identity (1995), MacPlay
Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster (1995), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Star Trek: Judgment Rites (Limited CD-ROM Collector's Edition) (1995), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy - Starship Bridge Simulator (1995), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Stonekeep (1995), Interplay Productions Ltd.
Whiplash (1995), Gremlin Interactive Ltd.
Wolfenstein 3D (1995), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Zombie Dinos From Planet Zeltoid (1995), Interplay Productions, Inc.
5 in One Fun Pak (1994), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Blackthorne (1994), Interplay Productions Ltd.
Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure (1994), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Clay Fighter (1994), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Clay Fighter 2: Judgement Clay (1994), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Clay Fighter: Tournament Edition (1994), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Heart of the Alien: Out of this World parts I and II (1994), Virgin Interactive Entertainment, Inc.
J.R.R Tolkien's Lord of the Rings - Volume One (1994), Interplay Entertainment Corp.
Robocop vs. The Terminator (1994), Interplay Productions, Inc.
RoboCop Versus the Terminator (1993), Virgin Games, Inc.
Rock 'n Roll Racing (1993), Interplay Productions, Inc.
SimCity Enhanced CD-ROM (1993), Interplay Entertainment Corp., Maxis Software Inc.
The Lost Vikings (1992), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Out of This World (1991), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (1991), Ultra Games
Total Recall (1990), Acclaim Entertainment, Inc.
Battle Chess (1989), Electronic Arts, Inc.
Murder on the Zinderneuf (1984), Electronic Arts, Inc.
Galaxian (1983), Atarisoft

A stalwart code warrior - seems like he worked on practically everything Interplay made up until the late 90's. The stuff he made after that is a bit embarrassing.

Ken St. Andre
Stuart Smith's Adventure Construction Set (1986), Electronic Arts, Inc.

You're right here - just Wasteland.

Liz Danforth
Star Trek: Judgment Rites (1993), Unalis Corporation
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (1992), Interplay Productions, Inc.
Tunnels & Trolls: Crusaders of Khazan (1990), New World Computing, Inc.

Again, pretty :obviously:

St. Toxic

Arcane
Yeah, I'm optimistic too but so far it's just "let's say exactly what our target audience wants to hear".

I feel the same way. Hopefully we're just jaded and he actually feels the way he says he does, but it really does sound like market speech in reverse. :eek:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I think...I mean...I'd assume this is an incredible release of pent-up emotions, thoughts and shit he's wanted to say for years. I doubt it's just lipservice (though I don't doubt that is playing a hand here too). After decades of frustration from compromising or getting shutdown by a system he up until now had to rely on? Fuck, man. Would any of y'all be acting any different?

Kz3r0

Arcane
Two things from the interview, I liked the answer about the big names getting the big money , 30 years of work count, take that younglings, but what I really hated was the unnecessary mention of Republique, to hell with them.

joeydohn

Savant
[...] they send me Twitter messages letting me know what they're going to do to me if I don't do a good job - messages I don't even want to repeat.[...] I wasn't allowed to use the word 'dungeon' when I was talking about Hunted: The Demon's Forge. I was unable to use the word. You get kinda stifled, you know?[...]

People suck.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Goddamn, aside from Pavlish they're all going to have to learn to walk again...

:rage:

At least they don't have to unlearn how to run down corridors, duck behind chest-high cover and pop moles. :smug:
Listing the game credits like that kinda underplays Ken St. Andre, which I feel the need to correct - yeah, sue me :)

He's not there to code or handle technical stuffies, his area of expertise is in PnP systems and writing (taken from his LinkedIn, since it lists more than Wikipedia):

Creator of Tunnels and Trolls. (role-playing game)
Creator of Monsters! Monsters! (role-playing game)
Creator of Stormbringer (role-playing game based on the Elric books of Michael Moorcock)
Author of Griffin Feathers (fantasy novel)
Author of Dragon Child (fantasy novel)
Author of more scenarios, modules, and articles about gaming than I can count.
Active member of Science Fiction Writers of America.
Also a retired librarian for Phoenix Public Library in Phoenix, Arizona
Also a retired book reviewer for Library Journal
Also a retired biography writer for Scribners Great American Lives
I don't care if he doesn't know how to use a computer less than 20 years old, as long as he handles the character system and makes it properly PnP-like...

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also a nice snippet for those that did not read the whole thing:

Some people forget that Baldur's Gate was originally supposed to make Christmas 1998 - there was a lot of pressure to have that thing make Christmas. I had retailer penalties into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, but I sucked it up and we didn't ship until January. People talk about quality - it's easy to talk about, but when you've got a gun to your head it's much harder to make that call. I'm glad that no publisher wanted Wasteland 2 because this is the best way it could have been made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom