Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Witcher Q&A at RPG Vault

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

<a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com>RPG Vault</a> has posted an <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/614/614288p1.html>interview</a> with <b>Michal Kicinski</b> from CD Project about <a href=http://www.thewitcher.com>The Witcher</a>, a game of HAWT AKSHUN and pretty visuals.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>How would you describe The Witcher's gameplay? Which of the two does it resemble more, a classic PC RPG or an action game?</b>
<br>
<br>
It has always been our primary goal to create a new quality of PC RPG gaming - an amalgam of epic storyline and complex character development system joined with spectacular fight sequences. We humbly believe that we're on a best track to achieving this goal.
<br>
<br>
What The Witcher does is engage the gamers in the plot - a mindless click-fest is never the best way to achieve anything. Secondly, we're devoting lots of time to the implementation of an interesting character development system and tactics. We've introduced six varied styles of combat into our game - each of them comprising several hits and strikes - based on speed, power and multiple-enemy styles, both for the steel sword used against humans and the silver one for monsters. Each of the hits is characterized by different qualities, which can be further enhanced by means of joining together and magic. What's more, our hero will be able to behead the stunned opponents, set them on fire, perform a coup de grace, and injure them in virtually every possible way.</blockquote>
<br>
What's with people trying to create new qualities of RPG or something similarly stupid? That's the first sign that the game will most likely suck ass.
<br>
<br>

Majnun

Novice
So you would prefer that there was never any innovation or change in RPGs? :shock:

You have just shown that even you can make utterly STUPID comments.

You would rather have the same crap made in the exact same way as has ALREADY BEEN DONE? That's moronic. The qualities that you LIKE in rpgs were once NEW innovations by the way.

Granted most innovayshun in RPGs does end up sucking balls. But if there is NO innovation or change (i.e. if the devs don't try to creat "new qualities of RPGs") then we may as well write off the RPG genre as a dead beast.

Oddly enough I usually agree with the childish "I'm old and change frightens me!" attitudes of most on this site. I'd prefer pure turn-based combat, etc. but this has shown me the final destination of that kind of rigid thinking. And it's pretty pathetic.

You may as well cancel yer internet subscription so you never have to read about any new features in RPGs and just go back and play planescape and fallout over and over again till your eyes bleed because guess what? Games are going to keep changing and evolving.

Grow or die. Or better yet just sit here at the codex and bitch and whine about ANY changes made to your precious one-track mind vision of what CRPGs should be. :roll:

Of course, having made this little rant, The Witcher will probably now suck. (I hope it doesn't and honestly don't have any opinion of it yet).

You're welcome to flame my ass, I don't mind. But you'll have to rely on others to pick up the flame war and join in. I don't do forum battles, I just post my opinion and move on. :P

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Majnun said:
So you would prefer that there was never any innovation or change in RPGs? :shock:

You have jut proven that you shouldn't EVER reproduce.

If you'd bother to read the quoted portion of the interview you would have easily been able to spot the absurd incongruencies present in the developer's statements. He want to engage people in the plot by adding decapitations and mortal kombat esque FINALITIES to the combat. DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW? That is not innovation that is God of War. Adding distinct combat styles by varying up the animation for a melee attack isn't innovation. Hell, Jade Empire and a slew of other games have already brought that feature to RPGs. SIX WHOLE FORMS OF ATTACKS PLUS MORTAL KOMBAT LIKE GORE OMYGOLLYTHISISGOINGTOBETEHRPGOFTHEYEAR.

This isn't evolution of a genre, this is the further decline of a genre.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"You would rather have the same crap made in the exact same way as has ALREADY BEEN DONE?"

Absolutely. I would love more FO, BG, Ultimate, and NWN type games. In fact, I WOULD LOVE IT!

It sure beats 'innovative' crap. :roll:

Onc eagain, innovation is OVERRATED. When I buy a game I look for a game I will enjoy and that is fun; not if it offers something new unlkess that soemthing new will make the game fun.

Idiot.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
"You would rather have the same crap made in the exact same way as has ALREADY BEEN DONE?"

Yes, actually, I would. There's never been any non-action RPG with quality even close to approaching that of Fallout and the Baldur's Gate games in a very, very long time.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt if the 'innovation' or rather, in this case, the implementation of God of War's combat into an RPG, were done correctly with The Witcher, but 'innovation' often leaves a lot of room for error. I really don't understand why RPG developers can't use 'tried and true' methods of game development and always choose 'innovation' over the former no matter how horrible the outcome usually is. Larian's Battlegrounds in Beyond Divinity is a perfect example of poor 'innovation'. FPS developers, like id Software, Valve, Raven Software and Croteam have long since given up on 'innovation' and have instead devoted their development hours to making fun, and incredibly addictive games like Serious Sam, Jedi Academy and Half Life 2 which its only 'innovation' consisted of a gravity gun. Beyond that, it was nothing but a spectacular FPS with features that we've seen elsewhere in Halo (vehicles), and of course Half Life.

I wouldn't mind if CDProjekt actually manages to succeed at combining the God of War combat system with a good RPG, though.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Majnun said:
No, I would prefer that people learn to read instead of making shit up. That and world peace.

Even me? I sense a disappointed fan of my winning personality.

You would rather have the same crap made in the exact same way as has ALREADY BEEN DONE? That's moronic. The qualities that you LIKE in rpgs were once NEW innovations by the way.
I shall assume that you've missed my point completely.

See, first, there is a huge difference between true innovation and empty claims to evolve / improve / revolutionize the poor genre. Do you see anything evolutionary about The Witcher? I don't. It could be a good game, but it sure as hell aint the next quantum leap.

Second, considering the shitty quality of many RPGs out there, it's clear that very few people understand the genre mechanics. So, instead of evolving the genre into fighting games as that what the latest evolution trend seems to be all about, developers should try to understand the genre and make a game that actually fits the bill.

Granted most innovayshun in RPGs does end up sucking balls. But if there is NO innovation or change (i.e. if the devs don't try to creat "new qualities of RPGs") then we may as well write off the RPG genre as a dead beast.
Do you understand that unlike simpler genres like shooters, RPGs' gameplay isn't strictly defined? It's in the freedom, choices, interaction, consequences, etc. These things can't be innovated, they could only be dumbed down.

Oddly enough I usually agree with the childish "I'm old and change frightens me!" attitudes of most on this site.
Why try to understand when you can ASSume! It's always more fun that way

I'd prefer pure turn-based combat, etc. but this has shown me the final destination of that kind of rigid thinking. And it's pretty pathetic.
Well, I was glad to help.

Grow or die.
You are a friendly fella, aren't you?

I don't do forum battles, I just post my opinion and move on. :P
It's called defending an argument, not forum battles.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
you bring up a great point VD, do as the Romans when in RPG land. Innovate and refine the genre by making the basic mechanics of it that much better rather than trying to chock it full of genre bending features. Look at Rise of Nations, I think most of us will agree that its a pretty fucking bitching game. Does it add anything new to the RTS genre? Not really. Does it do everything that we've come to know as aspects of the RTS very well? Absolutely.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Hey, neat bit from another intarwieh:

As if that weren't enough, some of the hits can be joined with the magical signs. And there are naturally some, allowing us to stun or… behead our enemies. Wow, ain't that a mind-boggler?

Yeah, it is mind-boggling to see puns of such meager quality. And the attitude of the developer is simply killing.

The game's got a great potential story-wise (I'm so smart because I actually had an opportunity to read the books, yay for me), but I'm a little bit worried about the hype the combat system gets. Although it's supposed to be an action RPG, I hope that all the slashing won't spoil the storyline.

For the brand new RPG gaming experience, look elswhere. For tah intarwieh, look here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/614/614751p1.html

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom