Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Larian's got a new engine

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Larian Studios

<a href="http://www.larian.com">Larian</A>, the guys that brought us <A href="http://www.larian.com/divine.php">Divine Divinity</a> and <A href="http://www.larian.com/beyond.php">Beyond Divinity</a>, have posted a few <a href="http://www.larian.com/nextgen.php">new screenshots</a> of their next generation engine.
<br>
<br>
Not much to really say about it. There's a guy in armor, some trees, and a house with a hay roof.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Lynn</b>!
<br>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hopefully the new engine comes with an actual good game unlike their two previous shity games known as DD and BD. :twisted:

jplestat

Novice
Volourn said:
Hopefully the new engine comes with an actual good game unlike their two previous shity games known as DD and BD. :twisted:

I actually though Divine Divinity was one of the most fun RPGs I have ever played. I enjoyed Beyone Divinity as well, and Divine Divinity2 is one of my most anticipated games. Screenshots look really good.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Hey jplestat, here's a word of advice for the next board you decide to join.

DON'T DEFEND A GAME IN YOUR FIRST POST.

That just screams fanboy.

Well, now move along and spam your next board. ;)

Calis

Pensionado
On the other hand, he *did* argue with Volourn in his first post. That has to count for something.

dojoteef said:
Hey jplestat, here's a word of advice for the next board you decide to join.

DON'T DEFEND A GAME IN YOUR FIRST POST.

That just screams fanboy.

Well, now move along and spam your next board. ;)
The rule doesn't apply if you're countering Volourn.

DivDiv was a very good game, imo. It brought back alot of Ultima 7 memories.

Beyond Divinity was awful.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
I'm getting to the point where I click on screenshots and just say "yeah it's pretty but what about the game? How buggy will it be on release? Will I return to it after I've completed it once? What about the role-playing part of the game?".

So yeah, it's pretty and Divine Divinity was a perfectly acceptable game. But is this going to be another "unique blend of action and RPG" which translates to a clickfest with pages of 'dramatic' monologue or are they actually going to go for a little more 'roleplay'?

bryce777

Erudite
Mefi said:
I'm getting to the point where I click on screenshots and just say "yeah it's pretty but what about the game? How buggy will it be on release? Will I return to it after I've completed it once? What about the role-playing part of the game?".

So yeah, it's pretty and Divine Divinity was a perfectly acceptable game. But is this going to be another "unique blend of action and RPG" which translates to a clickfest with pages of 'dramatic' monologue or are they actually going to go for a little more 'roleplay'?

I don't think that any level of graphics beyond say ultima 7 can possibly hold my interest more than like 30 seconds.

I can't evens tand most of the boring cutscenes in games anyhow...how about a game that is actually fun to play???

westernhero

Novice
Never gonna buy a "Lamian" game again - Beyond Divinity was so frelling BEYOND as beyond can be. Hope I don't break any rules by saying this in my 2nd post :?

crpgnut

Augur
Loved DD and couldn't stomach BD. It's almost as if they took everything that was good in DD and threw it out the door, while keeping everything that was poorly done. I really hope they went back to the drawing board for DD2. If this even smells of BD, I'll stay clear of it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Indeed, if Divine Divinity could only approach the greatness that was NWN..."

Indeed. Then again, you probably enjoyed the waves of hudnreds of easy monsters at once.

DD was fun for 2 seconds until you go into the crypt, and then the game just plainly sucks and never gaets back its charm. One of the most overrated 'underdogs' ever.

Give me a million TOEEs, and Guild Wars over DD any day of the week.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Elwro said:
The screenshots are OK, perhaps similar to Oblivion, but again - what's with the bloom effect?

What's with thinking there is a bloom effect? :shock:

The screens look completely crisp and clear to me, unless you're talking about the LOD of things far off (or perhaps you're thinking of the somewhat bright cloud and the reflection of it off the helmet)? Or maybe my eyes are bad. Could be that...

edit: and if there is bloom, it doesn't look overused or anything to me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"No. The;y all s uck. Period. Yuo lose. Only a mOron woullf tink otherwis'e. R00fles!

LONG LIVE NWN"

Damn straight.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Divine Divinity was fucking fun. The crypt quest 2 seconds into the game (your words) was optional. NWN is akin to a dr. pepper enema.

Concerning the screenshots, they're pretty but they lose kind of the "gritty" and dark feeling that DD's graphics had, which looked very, very nice at high resolutions.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"The crypt quest 2 seconds into the game (your words) was optional"

then there's the amsses of orcs, the masses at the tmeple, the mass here the masses there, the amsses everywhere. DD's strategy for combat was to send 100s of creatures at you at a time along with the kitchen sink much like the Diablo wannabe it is.

*yawn*

If you find that fun; it's not my fault youa re stupid.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
It's true that it had a lot of combat, but it was still quite sophisticated and the dialouges were quite nice. The voiceovers were a bit hurting though.

Sometimes it's fun just to hack 'n slash, sometimes it does get reptitive. The fact is, I can enjoy both the intricaicies of JA or FO's combat and hack and slash, so it makes no difference to me.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
There is a bloom effect. It's more subtle as it grades out, but in this way it's a lot more annoying than the bloom in Guild Wars and Oblivion, particularly how it blurs out the terrain. I hope the finished game has higher resolution textures.

Those trees don't look convincing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom