Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Fargo Interview @ Gamestar.ru

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment

Gamestar.ru chatted up with InXile's Brian Fargo, topics include Kickstarter, Wasteland 2 and game design in general.

If it’s not a secret, what is the main expenditure item while developing of the role-playing game?

The biggest costs in making any kind of game are the people costs. Take a simple 15 man team with a fully burdened (rent, hardware, software, insurance) overhead cost of $9,000. That team would be costing almost $150,000 a month. In addition we have a large amount of money spent on outside art, music and design services. We are very excited about the budget we have for this game but it is not on the high side of development. Not having to make the cinematics makes it possible to create a deep game without a much deeper budget.

We are very disappointed that the majority of the developers make us manage a no-name deaf-and-dump Chosen. Should the main character of the role-playing game be a «full-bodied» like Adam Jensen from Deus Ex: Human Revolution? Or it would be harm to identification of the player with the character?

Well that is a debate that many people have. We have made games using both sides of that approach. When we did our last Bard's Tale we had the main character have a lot of personality in his snarky approach to the world. This allowed a very distinctive writing style. However, many RPG people want a fully customizable party or lead character. When it is truly customizable the players might be playing a woman or boy or a Russian or someone who is Chinese. In fact we are going to allow you to import your own character portraits so you can fully identify with your group.

Should the main character have a full body? I think so.

Thanks hiver for the heads-up.

hiver

I thought that bit about 150.000 a month for a 15 man team was... eye opening, to say the least.

And this is probably my favorite line in the interview:

G.ru: What biggest failure in RPG genre could you recollect?
Brian: I think the biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.

Aint that the truth.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
seriously, VoD, you've grown lax in your duties. This interview was posted, let me think, three? four? days ago on W2 bookface page.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought that bit about 150.000 a month for a 15 man team was... eye opening, to say the least.

I hope you don't think that they each get $10k a month in salaries. There a lot of fixed costs like office rentals, utility bills, coffee bills, bandwidth costs etc.

All the guys I know in game industry earn rather shitty salary, much less than coders in enterprise. Maybe some of it is due to the fact that Bulgaria is kind of ass end of Europe though.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Plus I don't think they will be using all of the KS money on salaries. They still sell some games on the side, right?

hiver

I hope you don't think that

-edited-

The biggest costs in making any kind of game are the people costs. Take a simple 15 man team with a fully burdened (rent, hardware, software, insurance) overhead cost of $9,000. That team would be costing almost $150,000 a month. In addition we have a large amount of money spent on outside art, music and design services.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
hiver, chill man, my mind is cloudy due to the diet I'm on. I'm trying to stop being a lardass but it seems to bring out my inner troll out.

hiver

Ok, no prob mang.
chiling ... im chiling.... takes a deep breath.... icy waters.... ice floating over blue ocean....

btw, only good physical exercise will burn out the inner lardass. However, the usual mistake people make with it is that they overblow it right away doing something they hate doing, instead of taking it slowly and doing stuff they like.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm biking to work (10km each way, unfortunately only "to" is uphill, and there is no snow). Fitness (with GF) and swimming starts next week.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom