Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPGDot on E3 RPGs

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

<a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a> have written up an <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1118>article</a> listing the promising RPGs that will be on display at this year's E3 game show. Here's why people should care about Gothic 3:<blockquote>While Piranha Bytes' Gothic series has attracted a legion of loyal fans, it remains a relatively unknown brand in many markets for a variety of reasons including the disjointed international releases to date. Gothic 3 was recently unveiled in the German magazine PC Action with the screenshots stunning readers, along with details of a gameworld three times larger than Gothic II, around 20 villages and towns, a revised interface and multiple approaches to each quest. Publisher JoWood knows this has the potential to be a genuine international hit and will be looking to make a splash at E3 - and judging from the teaser video, that shouldn't be too hard.</blockquote>Overall, it's a pretty depressing list. If the highlights of the upcoming RPG year are Oblivion and NWN2, things are very bleak.

Jinxed

Liturgist
I'm sure this has been brought up before but... How does RPGDOT figure HoMM 5 to be an RPG? Personally, I'm looking forward to trying out Morrowind 2 and Gothic 3.

Anyone else played Arx Fatalis? I did. I reached pretty far but gave up on some weird puzzle. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't play it if I had something else to play at the time.
I wish things would go differently, and a Troika PA game would be on that list...

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
As far as I can remember, the last couple years haven't been much better.

In any case, I'm looking forward to Oblivion, Gothic 3, and Hammer and Sickle (and Night Watch, though I've only seen some screens of it.).

I haven't read much, if anything about Neverwinter Nights 2, how's that sounding at this point?

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
from NMA:

Metalheart in May?

According to a forum thread at the new Metalheart forums:

One project man said that this site was hacked, and at the moment they don't have time to rebuild it.

But also they promised to start selling game at the end of april, maximum deadline is begining of may. I'm not sure about all the world, but that was said for Russia country.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Jinxed said:
I'm sure this has been brought up before but... How does RPGDOT figure HoMM 5 to be an RPG? Personally, I'm looking forward to trying out Morrowind 2 and Gothic 3.

Anyone else played Arx Fatalis? I did. I reached pretty far but gave up on some weird puzzle. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't play it if I had something else to play at the time.
I wish things would go differently, and a Troika PA game would be on that list...

ITS A STRATEGY RPG or something because monsters have set stats and its fantasy and heros can earn experience on the battlefield.

I think its fun how your character learning things in any game makes it an RPG

Deacdo

Liturgist
!HyPeRbOy! said:
No one knows whats up with Metalheart?
No. Akella's forums have been down for a while. I asked why Metalhearts wasn't among the titles they announced for E3, but got no answer :(

I'm interested in Gothic 3, but I really don't like JoWood that much. Their aim at always getting a "T" rating or less leads to censoring.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Jinxed said:
I'm looking forward to trying out Morrowind 2

Morrowind is The Elder Scrolls III. The new game is The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Before Morrowind, there was The Elder Scrolls: Arena, released in 1994, and The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, released in 1996.

Dhruin

Liturgist
LlamaGod said:
Jinxed said:

ITS A STRATEGY RPG or something because monsters have set stats and its fantasy and heros can earn experience on the battlefield.

Yeah, that's funny. But not as funny as the Codex covering a game like Gauntlet that doesn't even have stats. Now that's some hilarious shit.

obediah

Erudite
Dhruin said:
LlamaGod said:
Jinxed said:

Yeah, that's funny. But not as funny as the Codex covering a game like Gauntlet that doesn't even have stats. Now that's some hilarious shit.

RPGDot delivers a savage blow, cleanly separating RPGCodex's elitest head from its grumpy shoulders. RPGDot's victory is short-lived as it soon is claimed by it's own mortal wound. Meanwhile rest of the internet goes back to enjoying RPG-OTY, Paper Mario 2.

the_dagon

Educated
did you guys count how many "fast paced blend of action-rpg-adventure" games are there ?
For me those are action games not RPGs.

that makes VERY FEW games left

quite depressing !

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Dhruin said:

We blame Exitium for that. Honestly, I don't know anything about the new Guantlet other than J.E. Sawyer and John Romero are working on it.

obediah

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Dhruin said:

We blame Exitium for that. Honestly, I don't know anything about the new Guantlet other than J.E. Sawyer and John Romero are working on it.

I thought we were being nice to latin-pants now? Man I'm so confused. I guess I should get on one of the IRC channels to keep up, but conversation, like combat, is something I can't handle in RT.

LlamaGod

Cipher

Yes, Gauntlet is Exitium's doing and i've said a few things about it.

Have fun with your self-proclaimed STRATEGY RPG.

(and gauntlet has stats, too)

Hory

Erudite
RPGDot said:
Top rated games
Total votes: 15107!
# Game Rating Votes See all reviews
1. Elder Scrolls 3 - Morrowind 8.79 1224 Write a review
I guess we know what the opinion of the average RPGDotter is worth.
Edit: RPGCodex covers lots of crappy games too, you both suck.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hahaha. NWN is at 3 million units supposedly. NWN still rocks!

Jinxed

Liturgist
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Morrowind is The Elder Scrolls III. The new game is The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Before Morrowind, there was The Elder Scrolls: Arena, released in 1994, and The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall, released in 1996.

I know, but it's still fun to call it Morrowind 2.

crpgnut

Augur
Oblivion is the only game on the list that I'm dying to play. The rest hold middling to little interest for me.

Gothic 3 could be good, but I like playing mages and mages are seriously gimped in those games at the beginning.

If Ubisoft revealed that they had a developer for Might and Magic X, that would really get my attention. MM is my favorite series of all time. I enjoyed all of the games to varying degrees.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom