Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter Update #9: Shadowrun SNES and Genesis composers to collaborate on SRR

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Harebrained Schemes; Shadowrun Returns

The Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter update #9 brings good news for fans of the Shadowrun SNES and Genesis games' soundtracks.

One of the recurring themes in the stories we hear is how the music of the Sega and SNES Shadowrun games stays with you after all this time. Whenever we read your comments and whenever the team talks about it, the conversation always comes back to, “Wouldn’t it be cool if we could get the guys who wrote the original music?”

So we did.

Today, we’re incredibly excited to announce that Marshall Parker, who wrote the music for the Super Nintendo game and Sam Powell, who wrote the music for the Sega Genesis game, have agreed to COLLABORATE on the music for Shadowrun Returns.

Not only are we excited to have these two talented people working on the project, (we still can’t believe we got them!) we’re impressed by the spirit of cooperation they both expressed. Marshall and Sam really understand what we’re trying to do here and it was a pleasure to hear how happy they would be to work together to bring you the Shadowrun music your generous support deserves.​

I thought the Genesis soundtrack was pretty okayish. The SNES one however... Oh man, it rocks your shit.

There are only four days left on the Kickstarter campaign. They updated some pledge tiers and stuff but I'm not gonna copy-paste all that stuff. Read about it here instead.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Woohoo. That SNES sound is pretty amazing.
It will be interesting if they try to emulate the 16 bit sound.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm considering upping my pledge to 60. Digital soundtrack, t-shirt (that gray one looks pretty good IMO), digital game, some plastic card thing. Not too bad. 5$ shipping though, but at least that's lower than DFA and WL2.

Repressed Homosexual
Like three songs in the Genesis version were very good, the rest were terribly bland and forgettable.

The best one is this:

It's very fun to read a text description of an action scene or a mysterious encounter when this plays. The scenes are really well written as well, miles beyond anything in the SNES game. Too bad the game itself is mostly randomized junk. Oh yeah, and the bars were completely terrible. What is this, one NPC per bar, nowhere to go and that's it?

And yes, the SNES one was truly fantastic. I always start thinking of it when I go into a new city and have to walk at night. Like today, for instance. As soon as I went outside my restaurant to walk back to my hotel, I started thinking of the morgue theme. It's my dream to be involved into a quasi-cyberbunk situation one day.

Over time I think the Genesis sound chip is better than the SNES one. Yes the SNES one has far more range, but Genesis just has so much more character. The bass sounds awesome with it.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Heh, I guess the Genesis's old sound chip kind of suits Shadowrun. Modern internet has left old cyberpunk behind, just like modern sound chips left the Genesis's "Farting Robot" chip behind.

And damn, did I forgot how good the SNES music was. I remembered it was good, but shit, I forgot how long it took Otherwordly Canines out of my head when I first played it ages ago.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
I got all giggly when I first saw this. The SNES music is some of my favorite game music ever.

deuxhero

Arcane
Heh, I guess the Genesis's old sound chip kind of suits Shadowrun. Modern internet has left old cyberpunk behind, just like modern sound chips left the Genesis's "Farting Robot" chip behind.

And damn, did I forgot how good the SNES music was. I remembered it was good, but shit, I forgot how long it took Otherwordly Canines out of my head when I first played it ages ago.

Emulation of the YM2612 is semi-popular actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom