Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News DoubleBear Reveals Dead State GUI

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

It's Design Update Monday over at DoubleBear. Today they're discussing the user interface (the HUD, sub-menus, etc.).

This week, it’s time to show off a little more of what’s going on in our game these days. Let’s take a look at the GUI… FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER!

But first, let’s examine the process of how we got there. Our GUI starts with design. Design outlines all the key features of the GUI, what’s going in which GUI, how important each feature is, what our art theme is going to be, and the layout. We then take all of that and we mockup a concept of the GUI, which is a very rough idea of what design needs before art makes its final suggestions.

The layout of your main GUI is of critical importance. A good GUI isn’t going to save a bad game, but a bad GUI can cripple a good game. The GUI needs to do the following:

-Draw attention to important information.

-Be laid out in a sensible way to allow players to jump in (*it helps if it borrows from other games in the genre for familiarity).

-Allow access to important actions and sub-menus without relying exclusively on hotkeys.

-Not be too noisy or take up too much screen real estate.

-Relay tactically sensitive information in an immediate and logical way.

-Have a consistent theme.

Once the designers finish the GUI mockup, we turn it over to art. In our pipeline, we have recently added a very talented GUI artist to work on the many different screens we have. Oscar (our lead artist) and both Annie and I have given several rounds feedback to get the GUI just right to balance design, functionality, and artistic/readability needs of the GUI. Additional testing of the GUI will tell us if we need to make any further changes.​

They also have a few screenshots of the fancy new GUI, one of which I cheekily attached to this here news post!

DS_MainUI_WIP.jpg

Read the full update here!

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Looks ok, all though I expected a bit more in terms of the coolness factor.

But everything is pointing at a good turn based game. And I already more or less decided that I will pledge for Dead State, if it's 20$ish.

here is another screenshot from the Design Update

DS_character_screen.jpg

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Very nice. Hopefully they will not screw this up like AoD. I need to see more, though, my 'faith' was really shaken by how poorly they handled the demo for AoD.

Stinger

Arcane
No, as an indie team it's better if they take their time to build up stuff to show. I don't know if Brian Mitsoda has the same star power as Schafer, Fargo or Avellone.

Anyway, UI looks pretty cool. Interesting that they don't have an Intelligence or Luck stat.

Burning Bridges

I think after messing around for much too long, they are doing it right now, preparing a convincing presentation until they start.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Anyway, UI looks pretty cool. Interesting that they don't have an Intelligence or Luck stat.
On the character screen, it looks to me like there's room for 2 additional Stats and 4 more Perks.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
No, as an indie team it's better if they take their time to build up stuff to show. I don't know if Brian Mitsoda has the same star power as Schafer, Fargo or Avellone.

Yeah I agree. WE know who and what Mitsoda has done, the rest will need to be shown a solid presentation.

Will KS fund this the second it's on there.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Looks like they have a fair bit to show for kickstarter. From the trickle of screens I've seen here, I would throw money at this game If i had any to throw around. They may not get millions, but they could easily get a few hundred thousand.

ironyuri

This just looks awful. Honestly.

I am not sure a UI that looks like I'm shuffling papers on a desk is exactly ideal for a zombie strategy RPG-
could they not be looking at the UI for "What Remains?" and making it a little bit more interesting?

This is intensely dull, some ripped yellowing paper, index cards, paper clips. This is a day in the fucking
office for me.

If they wanted to go with this style, why not an interactive GUI which looks like an open manila folder
containing a dossier on each character, where you have to change pages, or where everything is
neatly aligned. There's also so much unused screen real estate there, large sections of nothing,
where we just see desk, and then all the perks and stats crammed together as icons.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Just namedropping troika and obsidian will probably take it to at least 200k.

Not sure where the hate on the looks comes from. Looks pretty good to me. Just glad to see SOMETHING at this point. Hopefully it actually works.
Yeah, it's just a mockup anyway.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
The combat/world GUI looks great. If the Kickstarter convinces me this isn't vaporware, I'll pledge.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The GUI looks cool. I dislike the character portraits, though; I hope they introduce an option to upload custom ones.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Judging by some project that got funded for Kickstarter they only need Annie showing and Brian smiling, add some smooth talk and they will not even need to show concept art.
Couldn't be enough for the hundreds of thousand tho.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
I like the look of it a lot. The 3D scene does look a bit stiff, but they got the colors right. Things pop out sufficiently but everything is one style. Much color in a subtle way. I also like the colorfulness of the character screen. It's refreshing to see that in a hardcore RPG with an otherwise serious tone.

Burning Bridges

I'd rather have this.

That's pure genius. From which game did you take it :lol:

But don't you know today games take much longer to make, and such a game with such an UI would take at least 30 Million and 6-10 years to make today! Just look at the many years the 1.13 community put in for the new inventory system.
Therefore we must settle with totally simplified systems today. And did I forget, people are suckers for change, and hate the old things they have seen before. One must never copy the old interface for a 10 old game, even if it was perfect.

What a pointless post I just made :oops:

crojipjip

Developer
Übermensch
The GUI lacks nerve endings. It causes a loss of arousal when our eyes just want to wander into the information but instead are expected to slow down to see the numbers correctly. Poor mental attitude by the designer. Any end user will not feel developer's system adequately approached the needs of a gamer. Classic error. DoubleBear I have just one tip for you. You are overlaying mechanical garbage instead of ecstasy on our screens. Grow up so you don't embarrass legitimate indies like shihonage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom