Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview VG24/7 Brian Fargo Interview

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Brian Fargo; Kickstarter; Wasteland 2

VG24/7 have reached out to Brian Fargo for a short interview on Wasteland 2 and related things.

What sort of game are you hoping to create? It’ll be reminiscent of ’90s “golden age” RPGs, obviously, but how so? Where will it be set?

There are so many elements of Wasteland that worked quite well and we plan to build upon that foundation rather than start over from scratch. Those elements are the sandbox type world, dark humor, party based combat, tactics in battle and a skill based system. However, combat isn’t going to consist of scrolling text so clearly we need to up the tactics part of the game.

And we don’t want the tactics SO deep that you feel disconnected from the world by being in long battles all the time. The last thing we want is someone groaning every time combat pops up. The game is going to take place shortly after Wasteland 1 ends. And by the way for everyone who remembers little Bobby – he is pissed off having been shot by Rangers and left for dead.

You’ve mentioned that you want this to be a resurrection of old-school Black Isle RPGs in general. So how do you cater to Wasteland fans and Fallout fans while also touching on games like Planescape: Torment, Baldur’s Gate, etc? There’s so much expectation in terms of what people want this game to be. How do you deal with all of that?

There are common threads that work their way across all those games that we are keeping a keen eye on. Having true cause and effect is a big one. A deep and interesting world is also key and there need to be surprises coming at you throughout. And yes Wasteland is party based game and that is one of the big differences from Fallout. Also there is a strong literary vibe to those games that is especially highlighted with Torment that we will continue on. We are reading every comment on our forums and setting up polls to make sure we have the broad strokes covered. Once we finalize those things we will go off and do what we do best.

And where does nostalgia fit into all this? I mean, Double Fine Adventure may as well be the Nostalgia Justice League between Schafer and Gilbert, and now you and Chris Avellone are, I don’t know, The Avengers or something. Do you think rampant fan demand for blasts from the past could keep RPGs or even the industry from progressing?

No way is this going to push the genre back in any way. It is all good. There are some elements to those “golden age” games that are timeless but have gotten lost due to a number of factors. It became impossible to sit in a room with an executive to discuss the finer points of RPGs and why there was a demand and what things could be added to make it more exciting.

The vantage point of most publishers is from a console perspective so that sort of kills the conversation pretty quick. Just the simple need of a keyboard and mouse changes the dynamic of an RPG. Those meetings I made fun of in my video are pretty accurate. Getting dragged into conversations about the color and size of a boot as a top priority was pure insanity and would suck all the creative juices out of the room.

I guess my attitude on this is more philosophical in that if the game doesn’t achieve fan funding, then it probably should not have been made. These fans just did you a favor by not voting with their wallets and saving you the time and money making something no one wanted.

Gamers are not trying to risk money for a profit like a publisher is. They just want a certain game and they are willing to pay for it ahead of time. A publisher is analyzing the market to determine what people want, determining if the upside is high enough, analyzing the opportunity cost and making sure the team is capable of delivering. Ironically the fans have far more trust in developers than the publishers do, and it will be interesting to compare the track records of success. Trust vs. heavy handed management.

You’re making Wasteland 2 with old-school RPG fans in mind, so what do you, personally, miss the most about those games? Do you think they went away out of necessity, or because misinformed investors willed it so?

I think I have articulated above many of the elements that I miss as a player. There is just a certain charm that comes from a game where the developers get to tinker and riff with new ideas during the process. The games just felt so connected in their humanity. Slick and polish only goes so far… it is always the human moments we remember. There is just no way the publishers can maintain their infrastructures selling just 500K or even a million copies of a game so they moved into categories or formats that could. If we sell a million copies of Wasteland 2 we will be bringing you RPGs for another decade!​

Hmm, I wonder how much Wasteland 2 could realistically hope to sell. Another decade of RPGs sounds good, if the games are good.

Kz3r0

Arcane
At the moment the number of backers is half the number of people that bought Wasteland 1, let' see.

Stinger

Arcane
If it's going on Steam it'll probably sell a few hundred thousand during major steam sales.

A million is certainly possible from there but it's in the long term rather than in the first year or so.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Do you think rampant fan demand for blasts from the past could keep RPGs or even the industry from progressing?

what the shitting cock kind of poker-faced idiocy is this

'rampant fan demand', oh god it's a blight waiting to happen we must protect our evolving industry from gamers living in the past someone place dragon age 3 under witness protection

LordDenton

Augur
VG24/7 Retard said:
Do you think rampant fan demand for blasts from the past could keep RPGs or even the industry from progressing?
This question is truly rage inducing.

:x

Shannow

Waster of Time
And we don’t want the tactics SO deep that you feel disconnected from the world by being in long battles all the time. The last thing we want is someone groaning every time combat pops up.
So MCA has started putting his stamp on the game :troll:

But seriously, that quote seems to suggest less options, less challenge for the sake of time saved...
Personally I'd make combat as fun as possible. If you constantly wipe the flour with your enemies or the combat is completely uninvolved it gets boring for me much more quickly than if an encounter takes 5-10 minutes... IMO, every encounter should pose a challenge. If the player plays badly he should be wiped even on average encounters. On the other hand I'd simply not put that many (random) encounters into the game and offer options to flee, negotiate, evade or otherwise avoid/extract yourself from combat.

I really wish Fargo'd simply said:"Fuck you, moron."
or better:"Even if W2 could turn back a decade of decline, that'd be a good thing. Your precious industry is a deformed, brainless abomination of what it used to be. All creativity and diversity has been sucked out. You need to be completely stupid to think that W2 has a snowballs's chance in Hell to put the industry as a whole back on track. But to claim that evolution as it should have been all along "keeps" anything from "progressing" just makes me wonder why your mother didn't drown you right away when she saw, what she'd shit out."

Pffft, and people call us vitriolic. Nonsense. We're a nice and rational bunch who'd never fly into a rage because of something as trivial as computer games :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom