Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Ultima Underworld 3 Story Design Document

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Origin Systems; Ultima Underworld 3

A game story design document for Ultima Underworld 3 has been uploaded by Origin historian Pix.

This details an entire potential storyline for the game as of August 22nd 1997 and is available as a pdf from here.

The Ultima connection appears to have been dropped in favour of another fantasy world and the game is far less dungeon based than UW1 & 2. The document is only a brief outline and there is precious little about gameplay unfortunately. I find it hard to form an opinion of how Underworld 3 might have turned out based on this alone but the scale of some of the events was certainly ambitious for 3D engines of the time and the potential was there. It’s hard not to think that this would have been in direct competition with Ultima 9 which could be one reason why it never happened.​

Ultima Aiera has the following to add:

The Ultima connection appears to have been dropped in favour of another fantasy world and the game is far less dungeon based than UW1 & 2. The document is only a brief outline and there is precious little about gameplay unfortunately. I find it hard to form an opinion of how Underworld 3 might have turned out based on this alone but the scale of some of the events was certainly ambitious for 3D engines of the time and the potential was there. It’s hard not to think that this would have been in direct competition with Ultima 9 which could be one reason why it never happened.

The game would have begun in a way not unlike Ultima 9 did: your character (presumably the Avatar) would have been enjoying a quiet retreat at a lakeside cottage when, quite suddenly, you are drawn into a moongate and whisked off to the world of Jaal, which was to be filled with dungeons, underwater cities, pirates…and, of course, the usual evil and intrigue that the Avatar is so expert at addressing and dealing with. Much of the game would, seemingly, have centered around traveling between destinations on a pirate ship which I can only surmise was named for Janis Joplin. The game would ultimately have ended on a bit of a cliffhanger, implying that there was some intention of seeing the Underworld games continue as a series.​

Spotted at Ultima Aiera

Micmu

Magister
Almost pissed my pants in rage; i was expecting to see announcement of some new xbox game here.
Also I'm glad that UUW3 didn't happen. Not as described in this shit document. Far less "dungeon based"? WTF. Whole game being one huge dungeon is UUW.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Nah, I don't believe that they had to have it all in one dungeon. The big part of UW1&2 was the charm, the Ultima world, the interesting locations, and the physics (doors and items you could destroy, objects to throw as weapons, etc.) UW1 was awesome because they had one dungeon that made a lot of sense: it all worked. UW2... had different worlds and characters, with a mixed bag approach. If UW2 is acceptable, I don't see how this would not be.

It also looks, as Ultima Aiera pointed out, that U9 may have cannibalized the intro and a bit of the gameplay (haven't finished the PDF yet.) Too bad. UW1 & 2 were quality products, and I can only imagine that if Looking Glass did UW3 it would have been a lot better than what U9 would have had us believe was possible at the time.

Maybe the Arx Fatalis locations and storyline with the UW3 engine would have been amazing. Or hell, UW3 without the rune screen and just drawing them in the air would have been awesome as well.

Alex

Arcane
Wow, I completely missed this newspost! Thanks, Bee!

I really hope they find something about that Arthurian Lagends game that was going to be Ultima Worlds 3.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As much as I liked Arx Fatalis I thought the whole 'Guardian' concept and the uh... hell I forgot what that super dimension the protagonist came from was called... anyway, I thought it actually took away from the story. I would have been more interested if they fleshed out the whole society being forced underground thing rather than make it about the random protector guy being sent there like Jesus to save the world from whatshisface.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom