Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Chris Avellone + Brian Fargo = ?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Brian Fargo; Chris Avellone; Interplay; InXile Entertainment

As you may remember from the Ripten.com interview, when asked about the possibility of Black Isle being reborn, Brian Fargo had the following to say:

MF: You mentioned Obsidian. Have you spoken with them?

BF: I talk to them all the time.

MF: Would you consider working with them, especially given their current troubles… maybe reform the Black Isle Voltron?

BF: (Obsidian) are still working on projects. It’s not like they are going away. I have a lot of love for those guys.

MF: What about the people from Interplay? Honestly, us old guys would love to see Black Isle reborn in some form.

BF: Well, if (Wasteland 2) works, it will give me a platform for doing things again. I haven’t had an engine… or I’ve had an engine with no gas. If this continues to work, and certainly we’re off to a great start—this game has got to be great—if I deliver that, I think there would be a chance to build it up again. Nothing would make me happier.​

As a follow-up, Ripten have reached out to Chris Avellone for his take on that, and his answer was:

Brian gave me my first job in the industry, I loved being at Interplay while he was there, and I love Wasteland. If there was a way to work both with Obsidian and work with Brian and InXile, I would do it.

A gleam of hope or wishful thinking? You decide.

Source: Ripten

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Nice! I'd like to see what Obsidian can produce without being held back by the publishers.

Morkar Left

A joint venture game wouldn't be bad. But I think it should not be W2 (some guest star writing / tribute maybe).

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This "people news" is nice fan service but so far nothing solid on MCA's kickstarter idea so if things like that take time, this will also probably take quite a while - also what will the bro Tim Cain do ? I thought he was hired for some finishings touches on South Park, and now converted for a permanent position - would be awesome if he could head the alleged kickstarter project.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
People are asking the questions, Brian and Chris are just answering them. It's not like they are screaming "Hey fans, better get your wallets out cause you ain't seen nothin' yet!"

Anyway, it's good to have confirmation that they are thinking of such a thing DEPENDING on how this all turns out. Exactly what I wrote in some other thread. I already told them to collaborate and pool resources for certain project that might be too big for either to handle on their own while working on their own projects. Now we'll see whether they take the sage advice...

Radisshu

Prophet
With Brian as Lead Designer and Chris as Lead Writer, some good shit might drop

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I love the idea of a cRPG supergroup.

Yeah but only for the odd title. Too many cooks and all that. Increases risk, dilutes creative input. Troika got it right with the 'band of three'. Having a half dozen or more creative geniuses working on the same game will see each guys individual contribution marginalised and homogenized.

Stinger

Arcane
I'd rather Obsidian worked on their own Kickstarter project so that we have two great RPGs instead.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
MF: Would you consider working with them, especially given their current troubles… maybe reform the Black Isle Voltron?
BF: (Obsidian) are still working on projects. It’s not like they are going away. I have a lot of love for those guys.

MF: What about the people from Interplay? Honestly, us old guys would love to see Black Isle reborn in some form.

BF: Well, if (Wasteland 2) works, it will give me a platform for doing things again. I haven’t had an engine… or I’ve had an engine with no gas. If this continues to work, and certainly we’re off to a great start—this game has got to be great—if I deliver that, I think there would be a chance to build it up again. Nothing would make me happier.

Would almost be to good to be true.
Who knows if W2 would be succesfull to some degree, (also to a bit wider audience) where this might end.
For now i will not get too excited, though, but since kickstarter is doing well, it's a good start for a future project.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Feel free to search my last post in a ME3 thread. Go on.

What, like you think I think you just love it? You're misinterpreting the meaning of my post, which is this: I'd rather talk about positive "non-news" than negative "relevant news". Shit didn't have anything to do with you specifically, homer.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Feel free to search my last post in a ME3 thread. Go on.

What, like you think I think you just love it? You're misinterpreting the meaning of my post, which is this: I'd rather talk about positive "non-news" than negative "relevant news". Shit didn't have anything to do with you specifically, homer.

What about a third option - not discussing awful news, not discussing non-news, and doing something entirely different for the time being? :troll:

/irrelevant intrusion

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom