Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Competition Codexian Wasteland 2 Location + Statue Fund-Raising Drive

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Brian Fargo; Codex Statue in Wasteland 2; Kickstarter; Wasteland 2

Want this in Wasteland 2?

Carrying on from this thread (and as suggested by this thread), the Codex is aiming to raise $5,000 for the Wasteland 2 KickStarter currently being run by inXile. If successful, this will score us an in-game statue (we're going for the Codex Troll as created by MCA, shown above) and a Codexian-based location.

Brain Fargo, CEO of inXile has confirmed that he is willing to work something out for us if we can raise the cash:

If your group puts 5k together I will find a way to make sure there is a shrine for a codex shrine or something else if you have a clever idea. I'm am quite flexible and I know at the end of the day I really want groups like yourselves to be happy with this game.​

UPDATE (March 15): Only $1k left to go. Tally is now on the right side of the front-page, where hot topics used to be.

Chris Avellone has also thrown in this offer:

If you need further incentive for members, you can let folks know that anyone who donates more than $250 to the Codex cause I'll draw them a personal Codex troll they can use for their avatar or for a quick-and-simple emoticon.​

As a thank you from the Codex, everyone who donates will get at least one months ad-free for every $5 donated to the cause (just give me a few days to set that all up). To find out more, including the current (updated as of March 15) list of donors, follow this link.

UPDATE (March 16): We have officially reached our goal with just under $7,000 raised. As soon as I transfer some of my own funds, we will reserve a statue place in the KickStarter for the RPG Codex (under the Codex' name). Due to possible tax / PayPal fee issues, we're putting in $6k towards the KickStarter and will hold the rest until we know for sure how much the charges will be. We now need ideas on what to do if we raise more dosh... And of course, you can still drop in $250+ for your own MCA troll!

UPDATE (March 17): Check the content item for updated donors. Also, please be advised that processing donations takes at least 48 hours. So if you've donated and aren't on the list yet, give it at least 2 days before you PM me asking why you're not on the list. Also, we may have a tax problem... Please stand by.

UPDATE (March 18): Ok, hopefully we've resolved the tax issue and we've changed our PayPal account. Check the content for more details and an updated list of donors! This will likely be the last update in the news item for now, but I'll continue to update the donor list and the tally daily.

UPDATE (March 20): We've decided to end the fund-raising drive when we reach $10k. Also, if you've donated but don't want one of the digital copies we get, let me know (names with an * in the list are those I've noted - some people have advised me but if you've not got an *, advise me again). Updated donor list and additional details are in the content item.

UPDATE (March 22): Updated donors. Going through and working out ad-free patron stuff now...

UPDATE (March 23): Our target of $10,000 has been reached (and surpassed just a smidge). We've now closed the fund-raising drive and will (just as soon as the funds clear) make our contribution to the Wasteland 2 KickStarter for the RPGCodex!

UPDATE (March 28):
index.php

It has been done! See the content update for more details.

More details available here, including an updated list of donors.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I suggest everyone donates at least $25-30 towards the statue/shrine! $10-15 is a bit too low -- too many people needed to reach $5,000! C'mon, it's not that much, just save on food or something. :P

EDIT: Currently at 28%!

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also, this:

You guys should pull back some money from the Kickstarter and use it to get the Codex immortalized in statue form. The goal is one that we can reasonably accomplish.

Those petty rewards (miniatures and cloth maps) are meaningless compared to the glory of the Codex.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I wake up and W2 is over 9000 500k$ (exceeding my expectations by 50k$) and then DU seems to get shit organized :salute:

This is a rather nice morning :)

EDIT: Now all DarkUnderlord has to do is allow me to put the "Codex Lebensraum in Wasteland2" button into my sig...

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just noting, I think you may have listed me twice, as #29 is the name associated with my paypal account.

NewFag

Educated
Fuck, $5000's pocket change. Even one of us can easily cover that. Can we aim bigger? $50,000 for a statue 10x the one in that concept.

Edit: And if you guys are interested, feel free to request personal "favours" from Fargo himself.

Crooked Bee

Patron
DarkUnderlord Can you do the same thing that you did with that turtle text -- a "Why are you not helping?" banner with a donation button in there? That'd bring more attention to the donation drive, maybe.

hiver

Ill go and rob some old ladies blind.

So thats like 5 bucks.... and ill throw in another 25... probably.

Angthoron

Arcane
So it'll be a location containing rocket-propelled grenades, launchers and manuals?

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Donated!

Though I would prefer an NPC encounter in style of Unwashed Villagers killing a Spammer ;) A statue is fine too, of course.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DarkUnderlord

You need to put the tally counter:

1) On the forums front page as well
2) A bit higher up, so you don't have to scroll down to see all of it

Needs a banner at the top of the forums as well

Peter

Arcane
Is paypal the only way to donate? Thridworldia cannot into paypal, as far as I know :(

Yeah, I'm wondering about this too. Paypal is awful and blocked my profile a couple of years ago when I got paid through it. Was hoping I'd never have to use it again.

Also, thanks for putting my drawing in the first post! I'm glad you guys like it :)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
What is the donation deadline for glorious KKKodexia? I meant to support the grorious wasteland 2, but I'd prefer to hold off until my next paycheck arrives.

Morkar Left

Should I'm in for a digital copy please feel free to distribute it to someone other in the queue. I already get one from separate spending on my own.

Yeah, I'm wondering about this too. Paypal is awful and blocked my profile a couple of years ago when I got paid through it. Was hoping I'd never have to use it again.

Yeah, the same for me. Good thing there was only around 15$ on it so I didn't bother. Somehow I think that was a tactic to get additional info about my personal data. I heard similar things from friends and since then I avoid paypal like the plague. Horrible business behaviour.

Also, thanks for putting my drawing in the first post! I'm glad you guys like it :)

And even more honorable considered the short amount of time to put it out :salute:

Angthoron

Arcane
DarkUnderlord

You need to put the tally counter:

1) On the forums front page as well
2) A bit higher up, so you don't have to scroll down to see all of it

Needs a banner at the top of the forums as well
Yeah, this definitely needs to be on the Forums front page, seeing many people come directly to the forum.

majestik12

Arcane
Donated.

NMA guys should run something like that too. Also, I wonder if people at 4chan have considered getting their statue in.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Not wanting to ruin everyone's parade here, but this is a horrible, horrible idea. Or, rather, the whole thing with ingame NPCs\statues\shrines as rewards is horrible - I understand that first Wasteland was not famous for most coherent or serious setting and atmosphere, but do you think that having pretty much entire locations composed of nothing but rabid fanboys will do anything good to the game? I mean, look at the nameless mod - gameplay-wise, it was awesome, but that forum-city setting was absolutely cringe-worthy, especially since could never be consistent in whether all of that was real or just a forum game. But I digress - just ask yourself, do you think that finding such statue in F2, for example, would've been cool? Do you really think so? I just don't see how it fits the postapocalyptic wastelands, really.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not wanting to ruin everyone's parade here, but this is a horrible, horrible idea. Or, rather, the whole thing with ingame NPCs\statues\shrines as rewards is horrible - I understand that first Wasteland was not famous for most coherent or serious setting and atmosphere, but do you think that having pretty much entire locations composed of nothing but rabid fanboys will do anything good to the game? I mean, look at the nameless mod - gameplay-wise, it was awesome, but that forum-city setting was absolutely cringe-worthy, especially since could never be consistent in whether all of that was real or just a forum game. But I digress - just ask yourself, do you think that finding such statue in F2, for example, would've been cool? Do you really think so? I just don't see how it fits the postapocalyptic wastelands, really.

I assume it should be easy to make such encounters/locations toggleable. Also, what's wrong with having a rpg codex troll statue in some dank, dark cave, under a basement of some terrible nerd? It could be an object of a cult or something like that.

And working in the backers as statues is easy - they can always be made to be local figures of authority or historical persons. No need to have this be game breaking at all.

Crooked Bee

Patron

There are going to be 18 (!) in-game donators' statues already (for the $5000 and $10000 tiers combined) + lots of NPCs/weapons named after those who donated $1000. We can't change that -- and we can't change the fact Wasteland was a much wackier game than the Fallouts -- so we might as well contribute; it's not like that's our idea in the first place.

Also, I imagine this is going to be a small easter egg location (of the kind there were in older CRPGs), not a large main quest one anyway. Or it could even be subtly tied into the game so it doesn't stand out, as Yaar has suggested.

majestik12

Arcane
I don't think that the devs will put in the game something that will look out of place and break the setting. They will probably make it an isnside joke between them and the donator. I doubt that non-informed players will even notice that some locations, objects and NPCs are somehow based on the backers.

Ausir

Arcane
Most of the NPCs being named after contributors won't really be noticeable. Most will likely be indistinguishable from names that the devs come up with unless you actually know it's named after a real person.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom