Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Now Live!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Kickstarter; Wasteland 2

It begins! Wasteland 2 Kickstarter page has just gone live!

Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2?ref=live

"I’m personally a big fan of the Wasteland series from having played the original game in the late 80s; I’ve also always admired Brian Fargo’s courage to experiment with new designs and game engines from my time working with him in the early days of BioWare when we worked with Interplay, and as a result I’m really looking forward to seeing the next game in the Wasteland series!"
- Ray Muzyka - CEO Bioware

"Hats off to Fargo and inXile, I'm definitely putting my money down when they start up their Kickstarter fund, and I'll donate just as much as I did to Double Fine. Give me Wasteland 2 already."
- Chris Avellone - RPG designer extraordinaire

"Brian was one of the pioneers for the computer RPG with games like Bard's Tale and Wasteland. I would be very excited to see what Brian could achieve with a sequel to such a classic like the first Wasteland."
- Rob Pardo - Executive Vice President of Game Design, Blizzard Entertainment

What is Wasteland 2?
Wasteland 2 is the direct sequel to the first ever post-apocalyptic computer RPG. The original Wasteland was the inspiration for the FALLOUT series of games, and the first RPG to allow players to split parties for tactical considerations, to face players with moral choices, and to make them deal with the consequences of their actions. It was the first to provide far more than the one-key-for-one-lock style of puzzle solving. It was groundbreaking, which is why IGN named it one of the top 25 PC games of all time, Computer Gaming World named it the Adventure Game of the year in 1988, and it was short-listed for inclusion in the Smithsonian Institution’s current “Art of the Computer Game” exhibition.

Wasteland was set in a dangerous, post-apocalyptic world in the American Southwest. Over the course of adventures rangers would receive promotions, acquire new skills and equipment, then face new challenges with outcomes that changed depending on the strategy used to defeat them. The game featured a strong storyline which required painful decisions by players; and a storyline that allowed for maximum re-playability. Wasteland 2, with your participation and insights, will recapture all that and provide more. It'll finally be the game worthy to be a Wasteland sequel, as challenging and rewarding as the original, with all added capacity and dazzle of games today.

Meet the Wasteland 2 Team
For Wasteland 2, we’re getting the band back together again!. Brian Fargo who Executive Produced both Wasteland and Fallout will be heading the team. Alan Pavlish and Mike Stackpole—the original game’s primary designers—are coming back to put the project together, and we’re rounding up as many of the other designers, like Ken St. Andre, as we can. On top of that, we’ll have music by Mike Morgan of Fallout 1 and 2 fame. The storyline for Wasteland 2 was written by Jason Anderson who was the co-creator of Fallout. We have also enlisted the help of the amazing concept artist, Andree Wallin to help craft the Wasteland 2 world.

This is probably the last chance for a Wasteland sequel. We have tried to pitch this game multiple times to game publishers, but they’ve balked. They don’t think there’s any interest in a solid, old school type of game. This is our shot at proving them wrong. And more importantly this could help bring back an entire genre of RPGs. The power of the Indie scene continues and we see this as all part of a bigger trend of bringing control back to the developers.

Supporting Wasteland 2 is nothing more radical than pre-ordering a game from your favorite brick-and-mortar store. We believe strongly enough in this project and in your desire to see it become a reality, that we decided to go ahead with this Kickstarter drive to fund it.​

Read the rest (and donate) here!

So cool. Be sure to give them all your moneys! Or else!

Codexian Wasteland 2 Location + Statue Fund-Raising Drive

UPDATE: In time-honoured Codexian tradition, we need to make the developers regret this support this project. So, if we (that is, the Codex) can raise $5,000 before this offer expires (34 days to go), we'll donate all monies raised to the project with the intent on getting an appropriately Codexian location in Wasteland 2 - with a statue built in our honour! Simply donate to the Codex (button top-right) during the next month and let us know it's for Wasteland 2¹ (To make it easier, all donations this month will be taken for the project unless stated otherwise in the donation).

:rpgcodex:
Imagine a statue of this in Wasteland 2!

Suggest ideas for an appropriate :obviously: Codexian location in this thread. We'll sort something out as to what exactly that should be. The 30 digital copies will go to those who donate the most towards this prestigious endeavour - or we'll hold them for competitions and prizes maybe? If we raise less than $5,000 in time, we'll donate whatever money was raised and try and get the best reward we can. If we raise more, we might go for more digital copies or something who knows!?

We'll also throw in a months ad-free Codex for you for every $5 you donate (be sure to leave us your account name when you donate¹).

¹On the page with the "Submit donation" (or whatever) from PayPal, there is a small "+" sign that, if you click it, expands into a text entry box where you can type a note to the donation recipient.

Amount raised so far: $1,375

Morkar Left

But we’re looking ahead to what we can do if you all back this project in force. At $1.25 million, the money will go primarily into making the world bigger, adding more maps, more divergent stories and even more music.

At $1.5 million, the world gets even bigger. You’ll have more adventures to play, more challenges to deal with, and a greater level of complexity to the entire storyline. We’ll add more environments, story elements, and characters to make the rich world come alive even more. We will even be able to bring Wasteland 2 to OS X for Mac lovers. And after $1.5 million the sky is the limit.

Spend ladies,trannies and guys, spend! (will do 100$ myself when at home)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Gave $100. That's fucking 179 Reais man, they better give me a good game!

Still, I'm kind of worried they didn't say anything about the shipping fee...that's usually around $10-20 to send to Brazil...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I foresee no donations for the Codex this month. Nor next month.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
$250 pledged. This is the best chance we've got to ressurect the genre people, break out your wallets.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Still, I'm kind of worried they didn't say anything about the shipping fee...that's usually around $10-20 to send to Brazil...

The FAQ has been updated. There's a flat shipping fee of $15 for all donation above $50 for non-US pledgers.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The FAQ has been updated. There's a flat shipping fee of $15 for all donation above $50 for non-US pledgers.
Oh, thanks bro, gonna update my donation. And I hope that the Collector's Edition is bigger and heavier than Double Fine's one, Scharfer only charged $10 for the shipping! :lol:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Did my duty and donated 15$ to Wasteland 2 and 15$ to Tim Schafer's project

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
already 40k :thumbsup: edit: shit, 4 thousand more since my post

I can't pledge right now, need to find someone with a credit card, fucking shitstarter won't accept payapl

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hey, always present Brother None, is there a youtube link or something to the video? I can't watch that weird amazon hosted player at work...:(

codex should do something with paypal/ wasteland2 because you are not the only one in that situation
Wasn't someone starting a group fund so people withou credit card could pay and we could get the Codex in-game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom