Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Wasteland 2: RockPaperShotgun Brian Fargo Interview; Kickstarter To Go Live Tomorrow

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Brian Fargo; Kickstarter; Wasteland 2

RockPaperShotgun's Alec Meer has recently chatted to Brian Fargo about "how the project is going, why now, how far along the design is, who he’s making it for, why old-school RPGs seemed to die out, how long the Kickstarter bubble can last and the importance or lack thereof of audio and cinematics to a game that’s all about cause and effect". Have a snippet and then take a look at the full interview here.

RPS: To what extent have you got the design already, you said you had these documents you almost shelved three weeks ago, how complete were they, or are you still making it up as you go along?

Brian Fargo: We worked on it at InXile for nearly a year, and so we worked through the storyline, what the life of the ranger is, dialogue structure, social skills, party influence, character stats. We worked through quite a lot of things so we’re not starting at ground zero. We pretty much know the templates, the next step after that was to bring all the writers in, and bring the artists in, and really fill out the meat of the world. That’s the costly part and where we didn’t get anywhere.

RPS: So potentially it could happen a bit sooner than people expect I guess if you do have the nuts and bolts of the design already nailed down?

Brian Fargo: It’s still going to take a while, we’re going to spend a good five months…it’s not that it’s no money, a million dollars is a lot of money. And by the way we’re lowering it to $900, 000, and I’m going to kick in the last $100, 000 just to make sure this thing happens. That said, in order to do this and be super efficient you have to design everything up front. We’ll have a pile [of paper] a phone book high, we’ll sit around in a conference room and we’ll step through the game over, over and over again.

It kind of works like, sometimes science fiction authors all collaborate on a book, and say ‘look in my book or in your scene, make sure a plane crashes, I don’t care what else you do after that’ and so there’s a little bit of that where we will have these constant threads and let some creativity happen within the areas that we assign off to the designers. But we’ll bring that all together and step it through, and then it becomes a matter of getting it all in a.s.a.p and we’ll repeat the same monster picture a hundred times but at least we’re now playing the game, and we’ll start to fill in the assets, and that way we’re polishing, or balancing, as we go.

It’s the cause and effect that makes a true role playing game so there’s a lot of ‘what ifs’ and then we want to keep ‘hey, what happens if you walk up to this encounter and this NPC’s with you, ‘oh that’s a good one, let’s deviate that way’, or ‘how about if they’re all wearing guard costumes?’ So coming up with all these ‘what-if’s’, that’s what makes these things shine.​

In other news, according to Brian Fargo's tweet, Wasteland 2 has already been approved by Kickstarter and is to go live very soon:

#Wasteland 2 update! We have been approved by #kickstarter and we go live tomorrow. I will post the link the minute I get it.​

Time to get your hopes up and your wallets out, folks!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I really hope this will get funded. We need some incline in the RPG world to show mainstream devs that good games are possible.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
I will drop (if Paypal will be available) my 50 $ but 900k $ to raise... I understand that is only small fracture of budget of mainstream games but the sum they are aiming at is pretty high.

3.000.000 $ for Double Fine gives a hope.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if we can get 100 codexians to chip in $50 each to erect a statue of Saint Proverbius, patron saint of Codexia?

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Sounds really good. I'll give something in the $50-100 range. I really hope this catches on.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
5 months to make this? Vince, you paying attention?

Nah, it's awkwardly worded, but they mean 5 months to plan the entire thing through after it's been funded (to "have the nuts and bolts of the design nailed down", as per interviewer's question). At least that's what Brother None said in another thread.

Morkar Left

No time to read the whole interview at the moment but he's saying he invests 100.000 $ by himself. That's a nice gesture I think to show he's honest about it.
Personally I will invest a bit less taking away the last three digits.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Weren't you guys also vedy much into Dishonored? Why isn't the new interview on the main page already?

I am all over Dishonored, but... is it an RPG? :p
No less than Mass Effect.
They're marketing it as an action game (no "RPG" abbreviation in sight) and as far as I know there's no RPG-style progression either.

Oh. I saw an action game that looked more complex than your typical sandbox beat 'em up, and I just assumed it was gonna be an "RPG".

Pegultagol

Erudite
Wonder if he will still invest his money into the project now that the 1 mil mark has been eclipsed? If he is really committed and was willing before, he shouldn't have second thoughts of going all in to respond to the enthusiasm of supporters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom