Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mark Morgan To Be Composer For Wasteland 2

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
JIZZ, JIZZ EVERYWHERE
ecstasy.gif

MMXI

Arcane
Posting my thoughts here.

MMXI said:
I hope it's not in Fallout's style, though. Wasteland had primitive graphics, little sound and no music, which meant your imagination created a lot of the atmosphere. I, personally, never pictured it like Fallout at all, though perhaps Fargo did. It felt much more silly than even Fallout 2, and the world felt more vibrant and comic-like. It'll be hard for the music to match up with that.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Well Aphex Twin has released quite a lot of material since 1998 so Morgan has plenty of stuff to steal.
It was Interplay.

Interplay told him to do something like Aphex Twin. Mark Morgan made samples for review only for Interplay, and not actual final compositions for the game. Just to say, "Is this the atmosphere you want?" Those samples were imitations of Aphex Twin. Morgan was going to do something original.

Interplay guys then refused to allow him to compose his final proper tracks, and took the samples (the Aphex Twin imitation tracks) instead.

Suchy

Arcane
Fuck yeah!

And by the way, they were all ripping off old Steve Roach's and Rober Rich's tracks.

Also,
Mark Morgan > Aphex Twin

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
There was actual music in Fallout apart from The Ink Spots? Strange that I don't remember a thing...

Then the soundtrack was good. Good ambient background music is, when it molds in to the general atmosphere of the game. When a song/track stands out too much so you notice it, it gets distracting.

Overall, even though Morgan "copied" some stuff, he is still a good sound designer and one of a great influence to me. I am curious how his new stuff will sound in Wasteland 2.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
There was actual music in Fallout apart from The Ink Spots? Strange that I don't remember a thing...

Then the soundtrack was good. Good ambient background music is, when it molds in to the general atmosphere of the game. When a song/track stands out too much so you notice it, it gets distracting.

Overall, even though Morgan "copied" some stuff, he is still a good sound designer and one of a great influence to me. I am curious how his new stuff will sound in Wasteland 2.

That's what I thought. It must have been music that fitted the mood well as I'm pretty certain that I wasn't playing with no sound. I'd notice that more than bad music.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Good news indeed, but there is no way in which they can create something equal or at least close to our romanticized and nostalgic view of the past.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well Aphex Twin has released quite a lot of material since 1998 so Morgan has plenty of stuff to steal.
It was Interplay.

Interplay told him to do something like Aphex Twin. Mark Morgan made samples for review only for Interplay, and not actual final compositions for the game. Just to say, "Is this the atmosphere you want?" Those samples were imitations of Aphex Twin. Morgan was going to do something original.

Interplay guys then refused to allow him to compose his final proper tracks, and took the samples (the Aphex Twin imitation tracks) instead.

Understandable if it was only for one game, but for three games, released over a 3-year period?

Bullshit.

hiver

He was inspired and gave homage :incline:
Now shut up and let the man work his sweet magic :p

Actually :

http://www.game-ost.com/articles.php?id=24&action=view

G-OST: We have the information, that Tim Cain in one of his interviews told, that he likes dark gloomy kind of music and is a big fan of Aphex Twin. Some Fallout compositions are VERY similar to Aphex works… Is there any connection, Mr. Morgan? Or, maybe, you intend to say you don’t know neither Tim nor Aphex:) ?

Mark: When Interplay was thinking of using me for the game, they sent over some music that they liked and wanted me to do something similar as a demo. The CD they sent me had no titles or artists’ names, just a few pieces of unidentified music. I gave Interplay what they wanted and I think they must have used some of my demo in the final game. At the time, I wasn’t familiar with the work of Aphex Twin. To me, it was just my interpretation of what Interplay asked for.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Good news indeed, but there is no way in which they can create something equal or at least close to our romanticized and nostalgic view of the past.

What romanticized view? The music just sounds good to me when I listen to it..

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Fuck yeah!

And by the way, they were all ripping off old Steve Roach's and Rober Rich's tracks.

Also,
Mark Morgan > Aphex Twin

:bro:

Y'know, one thing I've never understood is why do they hire those generic composing hacks for ambient soundtracks when there are so much ambient masters available. I mean, Mark Morgan is not that bad (by videogame industry standards, that is), but certainly he couldn't hold a candle to either of those guys, not to mention a heck of a lot other dudes from that scene. I mean, it's not like they're so famous that they'll ask millions for composing - honestly, considering how well-known their names are (in wide circles, I mean), them asking unreasonable prices is pretty much impossible. It's, like, if rake-in-the-grass, a studio with indie budget, was able to sigh up Machinae Supremacy (who are, unfortunately, much more popular than both Rich and Roach), then certainly an AAA studio should be able to hire those guys. And even if they are not interested in making specific game OSTs (considering how prolific and open to experiments they are, that is highly doubtful), you don't even have to ask them write something new - just licensing some of their old tracks will be enough, it's not like lots of people actually heard them. Honestly, a dark ambient ost made by the people who are actually experienced in writing that brand of music would be so much better than another "unprofessional" attempt.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Fuck yeah!

Also,
Mark Morgan > Aphex Twin

:bro:

Y'know, one thing I've never understood is why do they hire those generic composing hacks for ambient soundtracks when there are so much ambient masters available. I mean, Mark Morgan is not that bad (by videogame industry standards, that is), but certainly he couldn't hold a candle to either of those guys, not to mention a heck of a lot other dudes from that scene. I mean, it's not like they're so famous that they'll ask millions for composing - honestly, considering how well-known their names are (in wide circles, I mean), them asking unreasonable prices is pretty much impossible. It's, like, if rake-in-the-grass, a studio with indie budget, was able to sigh up Machinae Supremacy (who are, unfortunately, much more popular than both Rich and Roach), then certainly an AAA studio should be able to hire those guys. And even if they are not interested in making specific game OSTs (considering how prolific and open to experiments they are, that is highly doubtful), you don't even have to ask them write something new - just licensing some of their old tracks will be enough, it's not like lots of people actually heard them. Honestly, a dark ambient ost made by the people who are actually experienced in writing that brand of music would be so much better than another "unprofessional" attempt.

Even though I love Morgans job on PS:T, they initially hired Lustmord to do the soundtrack (you can hear some snippet in the Torment Trailer which is on the Baldur's Gate:Tales of the Swordcoast addon-CD) - it sounded fucking good. I wish they would have had actually the balls to use Lustmords music. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom