Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News TOEE: Livonya's Mod Beta 1.0

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil; Troika Games

Livonya has <a href=http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1470>finally released</a> Beta 1.0 of her Temple of Elemental Evil mod which builds upon the previous fan-made patches for the game. Here's a snippet of some of the big additions:
<br>
<blockquote>* Re-wrote entire enemy AI with additional scripting (80+ new AI scripts)
<br>
* Created a system for enemy NPCs to attempt to Break Free
<br>
* Created a system for enemy NPCs to use "scrolls" and "wands"
<br>
* Created new system for determining distance in Random Encounters
<br>
* Created system for NPC spell casters to pre-buff with spells
<br>
<br>
* Changed experience system for setting off/disarming traps (no experience)
<br>
* The only way to gain experience from traps is to disarm them
<br>
* Added new traps and repaired broken traps
<br>
* Created new trap types
<br>
<br>
<b>* Put kids back into TOEE with dialog</b>
<br>
* Added new sub-plots
<br>
* Added new quests
<br>
* Added new dialogs
<br>
* Added new encounters
<br>
* Added new items
<br>
* Added new creatures
<br>
* Changed some content to add realism
<br>
* Added a new merchant (very hard to gain access to)
<br>
<br>
* Adjusted hit dice size of some creatures that were simply too easy
<br>
* Adjusted many skill check requirements
<br>
<br>
* Added more uses for Pick Lock, Disarm Trap, Survival
<br>
* Added many, many new uses for Intimidate, Sense Motive, Bluff, Diplomacy, and Gather Infomation
<br>
-- Please note that Feats that increase skills will be useful as some skills need to be very high!
<br>
-- The same can be said for spells that raise Charisma and Dexterity
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Be sure to read the instructions on how to install the mod. Please be reminded that the mod is still in beta, so bugs may invariably exist. Feel free to help out with reporting any bugs you come across.
<br>
<br>
Here's a quick explanation on what you should have before you go about installing the mod:
<br>
<blockquote>1) Clean installation of TOEE with no prior saves/mods/patches
<br>
2) Install <a href=http://www.atari.com/us/support/dl.php?file=ftp://ftp.infogrames.net/patches/toee/TOEE_USA_ANY-PATCH2.EXE>Atari's Patch 2</a> (not Patch 3)
<br>
3) Install <a href=http://www.co8.org/files/patch/ToEE_Fan_Fixes_V3-0-4.zip>Circle of Eight Patch 3.0.4</a>
<br>
4) Install Livonya's Mod Beta 1.0 + subsequent fixes which you can download as attachments in the forum thread. <a href=http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=8796&postcount=3>FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS LOCATED IN THE THREAD</a>.
<br>
5) Disable "Auto-Save" or "Auto-Save On Map Change". It's buggy.
<br>
</blockquote>

Halenthal

Liturgist
Wow. I'm not a ToEE fan, but that mod makes it sound pretty playable after all. I may just have to shell out five or so bucks and get the game after all.

gromit

Arcane
Poor Livonya is -already- being beset by criticism over silly things. "The traps are surprising!" "Great big ogres beat up my unleveled characters!"

Anyway, I'm pleased by the rp options added, but the fixing of combat, particularly buffs, hp adjustments, and characters re-scripted so they can use their intended abilities, is very, very sexy.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I heard that Atari changed the ESRB rating 6 months before going gold. And thats why a lot of things seem broken. Is that true? Oh, and the mod looks pretty good, by the way.

gromit

Arcane
It certainly doesn't account for barbarians scripted to fight as rogues, but that's the official story for the lack of kids and brothels out of the box. Maybe some really, really evil options got taken out, too.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
This is damn fine stuff.
It's good to see people inspired enough to do this.
Hell, one day I might even play this game! After the dozens of others I have put on hold.... :(

Hory

Erudite
Yep, maybe I'll give it a try when this patch goes out of beta...

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Looks great. No other way to say it. Looks really fucking great. Okay, there was another way to say it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
wallace said:
Poor Livonya is -already- being beset by criticism over silly things. "The traps are surprising!" "Great big ogres beat up my unleveled characters!"

I believe the complaint in that thread was:

Lubash (the Moathouse Orge) has gained a level of barbarian. He was already a tough fight for a level 2 party, being CR 3, now he's just insane. He killed both my rogue and my cleric (he killed my rogue with his first swing, then critically hit my cleric with the Cleave.) in the first round of combat. Plus, he's still listed as CR 3, meaning you don't get the extra XP the added difficulty should be granting.

That seems like a pretty valid complaint considering he was a tough fight for a level 1 or 2 party, which is around the level of the party that enters the moathouse. Even though he's not actually getting a level of Barbarian, but he's now using the script for barbarians, it still would make that fight much, much worse now that he can cleave and has rage.

I'd be willing to bet that him having the rogue script was intentional so he wouldn't rage and cleave. He can still insta-kill party members at the level range of the moathouse without giving him the proper script on a decent roll and depending on what character he goes after. Cleave and rage just means he can wipe out multiple members in one round versus just one.

Jinxed

Liturgist
I usually killed the ogre after I dispatched Lareth and his goons. If approached him early, the ogre was either super easy, or it ment a reload.

But still, it's an rpg game and fighting him is only one option. It wouldn't be the first time I saw a creature in an rpg game that was just too tough and it meant I had to return after I gained some levels/abilities or whatever.

IMO, such a problem would be valid in an action game or if the ogre had to be put down in order to progress further in the game.

It's like complaining that you cannot kill the giant at the meadows when you first get there.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I havent tried it yet. Im gonna once I get a chance either this or next weekend. It should be fuckin fun and make things more challenging. HAHA YEAH!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
What a waste of her modding talents. At least mod games thata re worthwhile - heck, even MW is more worthy and I hate MW even more than TOEE. But, TOEE is dead dead dead dead dead dead dead.

Stark

Liturgist
sounds cool. it's time to reinstall my ToEE again. :)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I wonder if the mod works with the Polish version of the game. Does anyone know that?It's nice to have a collector's uberedition, but it sucks when it means you can't play foreign mods...

AZ

Liturgist
Sounds very good. I will have to give it a try.. Has anyone tried it jet? Is it bugy?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Volourn needs less coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee!"

Let's see if you are a bonafide math wiz. How many cups of coffees must I drink to drink less than I do now when I currently drink zero cups of coffee?

Ponder that for a bit.

Hajo

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Let's see if you are a bonafide math wiz. How many cups of coffees must I drink to drink less than I do now when I currently drink zero cups of coffee?

Easy. See, if two people leave an empty room, and later on three more leave the room, five have to enter so that the room is empty again.

So if you 'loose' the eqivalent of ten cups of coffee per day, you have to refill ten cups in order to stay at zero :roll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom