Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Jeff Vogel is getting old

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Avernum: Escape from the Pit; Spiderweb Software

<p>A condition that's probably going to get worse over the years. In the meantime <a href="http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/12/avernum-escape-from-pit-is-out.html" target="_blank">he blogs</a> about <strong>Avernum: Escape from the Pits</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span>Since 1995, my work has gotten a lot tighter, more controlled, and generally less eccentric. This has been both good and bad. It's also unavoidable. I'm older and more experienced now, and that sort of fresh, unfocused enthusiasm is just not available to me anymore. I still write good games (or, at least, games that sell), but my changing tastes and increasing age have made me unable to do some things and more able to do certain new things.</span><br /><br /><span>For example, if you tried Avadon: The Black Fortress and didn't like it, I'm sorry. That is the sort of game I write now. This will change. Five years from now, I'll do something entirely different. (I really, really want to return to open-ended non-linear games at least once before I retire.) But for now, that's it. If you hate my new games, then there is nothing I can do about that.</span><br /><br /><span>But, if you don't like the new stuff, I suggest trying Avernum. It's old-school, and it's really neat. I hope you like it.</span></p>
</blockquote>

EG

Nullified
Butthurt detected.

He does not like us, does he?

Morkar said:
At least it sounds honest. Something I appreciate :salute:

Seconded. And as a big fan of the Geneforge series, it's the first time that his blog comments have indicated that he finally gets where we're coming from ('we're' = the folks who loved Generforge or Avernum series, because we actually preferred Vogel's design style to early Bioware et al, hence were always going to be dissapointed by a 'BG2 with reasonable turn-based combat') - i.e. that we were criticising Avadon compared to his own previous games and ability, rather than criticising it compared to Skyrim/DA2 and the crap that fills the non-indie scene. And, most importantly, that it really was a substantial genre shift away from both the openness of Avernum and the amazing C+C of later Geneforge (and openness, but of a different kind - one player's quest hub might be another's dungeon, and yet another player's stealth/tech-assassination mission, depending on factional allegiences as well as character build).

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I love to hear about his unenthusiasm and how much he's tired and disgusted with something I assume many kids would consider the ideal job

Being an indie developer is a great opportunity to be creative and release 6 sequels to a franchise in a 2 years span

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, let's hope for another Geneforge before he retires.

Flatlander

Liturgist
Skyrim has provided a fresh reminder of how much people love a huge, sprawling world full of details, cul-de-sacs, and side quests to get lost in.
Translation:
9769277.jpg

Also,
OpenGL prevents app switching when played in full screen mode. I can't do anything about this, I'm afraid. Play in a window to switch apps.
:retarded: Apple fags.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Flatlander said:
Also,
OpenGL prevents app switching when played in full screen mode. I can't do anything about this, I'm afraid. Play in a window to switch apps.

Bullshit. I've played and tabbed around with more than enough games using OpenGL to know that you can (and have to) react to losing the rendering device.
But then, I'm using windows, maybe things are different on a mac, but I doubt it.

Like any old coder, he is just stuck in his way. That's my guess...

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Serious_Business said:
I love to hear about his unenthusiasm and how much he's tired and disgusted with something I assume many kids would consider the ideal job

Being an indie developer is a great opportunity to be creative and release 6 sequels to a franchise in a 2 years span
:lol:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Excidium said:
Serious_Business said:

:lol:

Flatlander

Liturgist
thesheeep said:
Like any old coder, he is just stuck in his way. That's my guess...
Could be, a little googling suggests that it should be possible. I mean, it even works with Linux, occasionally...

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
No. Money is the final blow to the artist.
The ignoble imperative of the stomach is what puts most of those who have a true creative drive in total slavery to necessity in the first place.

And intellectual dishonesty and cognitive dissonance do the rest on the artist's self image.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
No. Money is the final blow to the artist.
The ignoble imperative of the stomach is what puts most of those who have a true creative drive in total slavery to necessity in the first place.

And intellectual dishonesty and cognitive dissonance do the rest on the artist's self image.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
The Russian said:
I wonder how he feels about Minecraft. The Swedish dude made Minecraft in one week only, on a whim at that. I don't even think he was working full time on it. The graphics are utterly shit. There is hardly any animation. No dialogue, no quests, no nothing.

And yet, a few months ago he had made $33 Million in a span of a couple of months. And his sales were actually increasing at that time.

They employed what is known as the purple cow strategy. Make something that is like nothing else out there. Turn your weaknesses into a strength.

Copying Minecraft, will not make Vogel a lot of money. Lots of people are copying Minecraft now.

The Russian said:
Yeah, I bet Vogel is really, really pissed at the Swedish dude. Honestly, why doesn't he just take a week to make a Minecraft copy with his own spin on some shit? He could make a couple of million if he is lucky? Even if he doesn't, he only looses a week of his time.

Not half as mad as Zachtronics must be at themselves. Minecraft is a clone of Infiniminer.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Infiniminer

EG

Nullified
But MineCraft copied . . . Sadly, Notch spent many months to get as primitive a game as MineCraft ...

Oh the hell with it.

Wunderpurps

Educated
Makes me feel bad for him but I don't see why he cares so much what the codex thinks. Ipad owners who somehow stumble upon the dex will take one look at the color scheme and shit their pants.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
I think he makes the most shittiest, dumbest games around.
They are ugly. Written by a dumb hack and Christ, the combat could not suck any more. Its a massive fail on all fronts. Its Oblivion in turnbased...

Wunderpurps

Educated
Kool Kredits++

edit: the kool kredits are for calling someone newfag and/or troll. Extra kool kreds if he had pinned it on some poster from 3 years ago no one gives a fuck about and probably died of drug overdose in a whorehouse.

Can't say that I like the change, but Vogel at least seems like one of the most decent game devs I know. If he stops by I'll buy him a beer.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS LOLLOLOOL GIVE THE MOTHERFUCKER A BREAK HE HAS BEEN MAKING GAMES BEFORE MOST HERE STARTED PLAYING RPGS IE LAST YEAR

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom