Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Emotional Engagement Penetrates Strategy Genre

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare

<p>It's more of a topic for TCancer actually (looking forward to Jason's coverage of the game) but I thought I'd bring you the <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/106030-bioware-developing-command-a-conquer-generals-2.html" target="_blank">great news</a> anyway: BioWare is developing&nbsp;<strong>Command &amp; Conquer: Generals 2</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>In the near future, world leaders are mere seconds from signing a global treaty and bringing an end to war as we know it when a devastating terrorist attack rips through the peace conference, killing all in attendance. In a world left with no politicians, diplomats, or activists, only the Generals remain. It&rsquo;s up to you to assume their roles, command their forces, and put an end to global terrorism once and for all.<br /><br />&bull; All-Out War &mdash; Take control of three unique factions, competing for resources, building up your base of operation, and leading massive batteries of tanks, soldiers, and aircraft into battle.<br /><br />&bull; Uncanny Sense of Realism &mdash; Frostbite 2 technology allows for visceral, visually stunning conflict at an epic scale. Incredibly detailed units and environments, dynamic physics, and exhilarating visual effects bring the battle to life in ways never before seen. This is the closest thing to real war without the consequences.<br /><br />&bull; New Ways to Dominate or Ally with Your Friends &mdash; Go beyond classic deathmatch with a selection of new multiplayer game modes, designed with both cooperative and competitive play in mind.<br /><br />&bull; Thrilling Campaign &mdash; Command the war on terror in an electrifying single-player campaign. Experience the dramatic story from multiple perspectives &mdash; from heroic General to crazed terrorist &mdash; while engaging the enemy in pulse-pounding tactical combat.<br /><br />&bull; Ever-Evolving Experience &mdash; Enhance your game with an expanding array of downloadable content. From maps and units to factions, campaigns, and more, the fight against terrorism is deeper than ever.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Also:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span>Los Angeles, California &ndash; December 10, 2011 &ndash; In a world left without political leaders, only the generals remain! Tonight at the Spike Video Game Awards, BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), announced the studio&rsquo;s newest project, Command &amp; Conquer&trade; Generals 2. Powered by Frostbite&trade; 2, Generals 2 will feature cutting-edge visuals, sound, and destruction that will bring a new level of fidelity to strategy games. Fans will get a first look at the new Generals 2 during the Spike TV VGAs at 8:00pm EST*. Featuring the franchise&rsquo;s patented blend of pulse-pounding action and intelligent gameplay, Command &amp; Conquer Generals 2 once again puts players in the middle of an all-out war between three unique factions. Command &amp; Conquer Generals 2 is being developed by a new BioWare studio, BioWare Victory, and is coming exclusively to the PC in 2013.</span><br /><br /><span>&ldquo;We&rsquo;re bringing BioWare&rsquo;s vision for emotionally engaging gameplay and great attention to quality to the strategy genre and the Command &amp; Conquer franchise,&rdquo; said Dr. Ray Muzyka, General Manager of EA&rsquo;s BioWare label. &ldquo;I am excited to welcome BioWare Victory to our label. They are a great addition and the team is working hard to make sure Generals 2 truly immerses and engages players into this intense, gritty, modern war experience.&rdquo;</span></p>
</blockquote>
<p><span>Intense, gritty and emotionally engaging.</span></p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/106030-bioware-developing-command-a-conquer-generals-2.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Heh. You said 'penetrates'...uh huh huh huh huh.

tumblr_lvhelxwTwx1qzkrfxo1_500.jpg

sser

Arcane
Developer
I was a big fan of C&C: Generals and am interested to see more, but I have a hard time seeing BioWare pull off an RTS, particularly when -- based off these details -- the genre is already way past what they're working on.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
From the announcement it's obvious the campaign will be linear popamole. Expect the XBOX version to be announced in a couple of months.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
"We’re bringing BioWare’s vision for emotionally engaging gameplay..."

Translation:

"We're going to spend more money/effort on cinematics then on actual gameplay mechanics. "

Fucking writer fags.

Morkar Left

In the near future, world leaders are mere seconds from signing a global treaty and bringing an end to war as we know it when a devastating terrorist attack rips through the peace conference, killing all in attendance. In a world left with no politicians, diplomats, or activists, only the Generals remain. It’s up to you to assume their roles, command their forces, and put an end to global terrorism once and for all.

Wow, that's a story even c-movies would be ashamed nowadays... :retarded:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
First we had a MAJESTIC RPG, now a VISCERAL RTS. Do these numbnuts just open up a dictionary and choose the most AWESOME words at random, regardless of being appropriate in the context?

Enhance your game with an expanding array of downloadable content

Pre-order now to pre-receive the exclusive Party Pack Collector's Edition Hats DLC, with over 4 new hats for your Generals and 2 new fonts for the "press A to show next cutscene" prompt in Mass Effect 3, worth $19.95

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All the other stuff sounds ok, but this part sounds STUPID!.

• Ever-Evolving Experience — Enhance your game with an expanding array of downloadable content. From maps and units to factions, campaigns, and more, the fight against terrorism is deeper than ever.

DLC dose not work in a RTS at the most you can sell SKINS. Every thing else is EXPANSION PACK MATERIAL!.
To make a RTS "BIG" you need for it to be competitive and if you can buy things like MAPS, units and Factions then it will not COMPETITIVE!.

Gord

Arcane
I have stopped playing RTS long ago because the genre left me emotionally unengaged.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Morkar said:
In the near future, world leaders are mere seconds from signing a global treaty and bringing an end to war as we know it when a devastating terrorist attack rips through the peace conference, killing all in attendance. In a world left with no politicians, diplomats, or activists, only the Generals remain. It’s up to you to assume their roles, command their forces, and put an end to global terrorism once and for all.

Wow, that's a story even c-movies would be ashamed nowadays... :retarded:
Isn't that the plot of Team America to begin with?

hoopy

Savant
In the near future, world leaders are mere seconds from signing a global treaty and bringing an end to war as we know it...
Uh huh.

...when a devastating terrorist attack rips through the peace conference, killing all in attendance. In a world left with no politicians, diplomats, or activists, only the Generals remain. It’s up to you to assume their roles, command their forces, and put an end to global terrorism once and for all.
I think the clusterfucks in Iraq and Afghanistan have already discredited the whole idea of eliminating terrorism by bombing the shit out of stuff. Who are these terrorists anyway? What are their motives (don't tell me it's just "We are against peace")? And why do they have enough resources to go up against superpowers in conventional warfare?

This is the closest thing to real war without the consequences.
Indeed, the C&C series has always been known for its strict realism.

Ever-Evolving Experience — Enhance your game with an expanding array of downloadable content. From maps and units to factions, campaigns, and more, the fight against terrorism is deeper than ever.
I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that I never saw this coming.

Black said:
world left with no politicians, diplomats, or activists

Sounds beautiful, doesn't it?
Ah, so the terrorists are actually the good guys.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Romancing bi-helicopters and gaining dissaproval raiting from mammoth tanks. "Why did you make so many helicopters? Why no mammoth tanks?!"
Neat.

I was reading this headline multiple times and got increasingly sure this is one of those fictional parodies. It's rather discomforting to find out that this is not the case. :retarded:

Bioware has not shown in a SINGLE GAME that they know anything about creating quality gameplay with good balance and depth. Especially the Strategy genre depends on it though. It's like all those movie executives found out that there is money in videogames and now bring their whole hollywood workflow and apply it to the industry.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Uncanny Sense of Realism — Frostbite 2 technology allows for visceral, visually stunning conflict at an epic scale. Incredibly detailed units and environments, dynamic physics, and exhilarating visual effects bring the battle to life in ways never before seen. This is the closest thing to real war without the consequences.
Does it mean that they are going to implement realistic C3?

Kriechgebuesch said:
I was reading this headline multiple times and got increasingly sure this is one of those fictional parodies. It's rather discomforting to find out that this is not the case. :retarded:

Bioware has not shown in a SINGLE GAME that they know anything about creating quality gameplay with good balance and depth. Especially the Strategy genre depends on it though. It's like all those movie executives found out that there is money in videogames and now bring their whole hollywood workflow and apply it to the industry.

Bioware Victory

This isn't Bioware, get with the times, Bioware is dead, this is just generic games studio #253 where they slapped the Bioware label on.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
sser said:
I was a big fan of C&C: Generals and am interested to see more, but I have a hard time seeing BioWare pull off an RTS, particularly when -- based off these details -- the genre is already way past what they're working on.
It's not BioWare proper making the game though, it's a studio called "BioWare Victory". Which is actually just the same studio (Victory Games) under a new name in order to leverage the BioWare label. Definitely no Westwood though.
Nothing to see here really.

EDIT: the_unshaved_masses beat me to it goddamn

20 Eyes

Liturgist
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>• Ever-Evolving Experience — Enhance your game with an expanding array of downloadable content. From maps and units to factions, campaigns, and more, the fight against terrorism is deeper than ever.</p>

LOL @ DLC being a selling point now, at least in the minds of game studios.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
I sincerely hope that Biwoard is majorly succesful in both this and SWTOR, since this would likely mean that they would leave the crpg genre almost entirely. One could then be hopeful that someone would step up to fill that niche, someone who actually has gresh ideas instead of remaking the same damn game over and over again.
Not to optimistic about it, but to be honest it's not like we would loose something if Bioware ditched crpgs for good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom