Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Avernum: Escape from the Pit Teaser Trailer

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Avernum: Escape from the Pit; Spiderweb Software

<p>The mac version of Spiderweb's latest remake of an earlier game of theirs,&nbsp;Avernum: Escape from the Pit, is due to release next week. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH2iIVzbInA&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank">Watch the trailer here</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I find the contrast between the awesomeness of the intro graphics and the shittiness of the in-game graphics jarring.

MonkeyLancer

Educated
What is the point of the goofy line drawings when the skills are moused over? (between 28-32 seconds)

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Bros, Jeff Vogel is trying to milk the cow now after having tasted some cash from his Iphone and Steam success with his latest dumbed down game Avadon.
This one is a remake of Avernum I. It's essentially the same game and story with a couple added quests. Also you get to experience everything with updated graphics and dumbed down gameplay.

What was Oblivion to Morrowind is now Escape from the Pit to the Avernum Series (which, by the way, in turn was a remake of his earlier game series Exile).

Vagiel

Augur
A new turn based western party rpg comes out, the codex is furious, how appropriate.

To all those who have played the original avernum or exile (almost none in this thread) you have nothing to see here. To all others crying about the decline here is your chance to show the world there is a market for these games and support the very thing you pretend to like.

MonkeyLancer

Educated
Haba said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I suspect that they were inspired by the Vault Boy.

You do realize that Exile was released 1994, right?

He was responding to my question. Look at the time on Awor and Humanity has risen's responses, I think he assumed he was the next person replying.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Vagiel said:
A new turn based western party rpg comes out, the codex is furious, how appropriate.

To all those who have played the original avernum or exile (almost none in this thread) you have nothing to see here. To all others crying about the decline here is your chance to show the world there is a market for these games and support the very thing you pretend to like.
I can't speak for everyone but I don't buy games simply based on the way combat is resolved. I care about mechanics and this game seems to use the same system from Avadon, so it doesn't interest me.

quasimodo

Augur
Vagiel said:

Oh I'll buy and play this game because this is the only style of game I like and I'm desperate for a new game to play, but I agree with the other posters in this thread...Vogel makes a pretty uninspired game.

MCA
Most Vogel games are a drag to play. TB, party and whatever doesn't mean you get a free pass. And it's not like most people here are completely opposed to the idea of sandbox, real time and stuff and yet, there's no shortage of shit Bioware and Bethesda gets from us because they don't do those things particularly well either.

But as usual, somebody as gotta bitch about Codex bitching about stuff. Might as well off yourself.

Vagiel said:

>new

>remake of a remake of a remake

MonkeyLancer said:
What is the point of the goofy line drawings when the skills are moused over? (between 28-32 seconds)

Illustrating the skills?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Avernum 1 had Foglio illustrations for all the skills and stats, in the same style as the ones in that video.

But those specific pictures don't seem to be from Avernum 1. I guess that means Vogel actually commissioned new line drawings from Foglio in the style of the old ones?

Odd.

EDIT: Wait, apparently he did illustrations for more than just Avernum 1, so Vogel could still be re-using the old art from one of the other games, dunno.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Vagiel said:

I played the original Exile and I think that a lot of other people here did too. The problem is that Exile was already pretty unimpressive and it's a steady dumbing-down when it comes to tactical combat since then.

I can't speak for the others here in any official sense, but I REALLY hope that Vogel, or any of his forum base, that visits this thread pays attention to these comments, because Codex members have bought and praised plenty of your games in the past.

Vogel, you need to get one thing straight - for the most part (i.e. if you exclude the trolls who are really only interested in shiny AAA games anyway) we aren't complaining because your new games are shittier than the current crop of AAA games. Yes, we really like it that a developer is making turn-based tactical combat games.

And here's the important part: many of us aren't criticising you for your games being 'crap', we're criticising you because you've proved to us that you are capable of so much better. At their height, your games absolutely shat on anything that the mainstream developers produced, and I'm including companies like Obsidian and CD-Project, not just the usual suspects.

Now, I'm speaking from the Geneforge fan-base side of things. Avernum fans may differ. But for me, Avadon seemed like an attempt to recreate Baldur's Gate 2 / KoToR with an improved turn-based combat system. By itself, that's a really worthy goal, and if taken in isolation, I can understand why you'd say 'how come these guys are complaining?'. But here's the thing: the Geneforge series, and especially G4 and G5, shat all over Baldur's Gate and KoTOR. They say that niche or indie companies should find one thing that they do better than anyone else, and focus on making sure that they're the absolute best at it. With the latter Geneforge games you found that. You did what Bethesda has been trying (unsuccessfully) to do for its entire existence: create a genuinely free-form game, with massive factional and sub-factional choices, meaningful mechanics-based choices (some areas accessible to some builds easily, others would find it more difficult, others would need to find a new way around with allies or a different zone altogether) AND combine it with a cool story and story-based C+C. Mechanics-based C+C, story-based C+C, open world where one player's quest hub is another's enemy base, AND tactical combat to boot (not to mention stealth, avoidance strategies, hidden tech solutions...) - in one game? Nobody else has come close to that.

See, as a solo developer, you need to know where your strengths are. And they've NEVER been in writing - sorry, but that's not an insult, that's a byproduct of the inability to hire professional writers to back you up. You're strengths were that you could create these games with truly awesome degrees and types of choice, and in a really original setting (you make a setting where all 'magic' is actually tech-based, and all such tech is based on genetic engineering, which then seems to rely uncomfortably on exploitation of the engineered creatures....but when the rebellion comes, it isn't the cliched 'hooray, overhrow the evil empire - the shapers have really good reason to want to keep a tight control over things, and then slowly over the series it isn't the shapers, but the proliferation of shaping technology, as one faction gains it, then another, then another, until the world is a nightmare mess of rogue creations and living minefields...and you follow THAT up with a generic fantasy setting????).

Avadon might well have been one of the better games made that year. But why do you try to emulate your lessers? Bioware and Bethesda should be looking at the Geneforge series and taking lessons from YOU, not the other way around. If we're getting rowdy it's because you've already proven to us that you can do so much better - don't blame us for asking you to live up to your own talent.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
First game with skill illustrations was Nethergate.
Also fuck remakes, Exile still rules.

Coyote

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
Was that some Phil Foglio I saw?

Foglio and Vogel have been friends for a long time, so I'm pretty sure it's him. In addition to what PorkaMorka said, Vogel is referenced in this early Girl Genius strip - see also this page - and the Foglios usually mention him in announcements and switch out some of the ads on their sites whenever new game of his comes out.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I honestly wouldn't mind simply a graphics update with no "streamlining" of the mechanics. They're not even that complex in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom