Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Knight Saga DRM free patch

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Divinity 2; Larian Studios

<p>The Dragon Knight Saga <a href="http://www.larian.com/dks_DRM_free_community.php" target="_blank">becomes DRM-free</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Dear Divinity fans,</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Praise the Divine, the day has finally come: Divinity II &ndash; The Dragon Knight Saga is now DRM free! You only need follow these three simple steps:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Make sure you have the latest DKS patch installed (1.4.9.70)</p>
<p>Download the zip file. that contains the DRM-free .exe</p>
<p>Replace your old .exe with the new one in your Dragon Knight Saga install folder</p>
<p>Before frantically downloading the file though, please make sure that you are currently using the version 1.4.9.70 (the version number is available at the bottom right of the main menu). This patch doesn&rsquo;t support any other version, if you have a different one please update via our support page. Do not use this DRM free patch with any other version than the 1.4.9.70 as this is not supported.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>That's it! You can now continue your adventures. Damian will be most pleased!</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Thanks to&nbsp;<span>Kashrlyyk.</span></em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Much approved.

Now I have no regrets about buying the game.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
I'm taking credit for this one. I emailed Larian last week or so about my copy not working (I'm on Windows 8) and now it works perfectly.
I mean who would've guessed that it was the DRM fucking it up, right?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
MuscleSpark said:
I emailed Larian last week or so about my copy not working (I'm on Windows 8) and now it works perfectly.
I mean who would've guessed that it was the DRM fucking it up, right?
Nah, it was more likely some shit with Windows 8. :smug:

DraQ

Arcane
Jaedar said:
Much approved.

Now I have no regrets about buying the game twice.
Adapted for my own situation (bought ED and DKS).

:salute: :incline:
:bro: :love:

Also, once more:
A gargantuan :mhd: up CDAction's ass for giving Divinity II 3/10 because it was "teh hard".
:rpgcodex:

Dupyból niech się dupybólem odciska.
:smug:

Black

Arcane
They gave Div 2 3/10?
Holy shit.
And skyrim was 9/10 or 10/10, right?

Cenobyte

Prophet
Larian is one of the most sympathic devs out there. And it's good to see that they manage to survive in the business and even have enough resources to stem the development costs for their projects mostly by themselves. And of course we should not forget that their patches actually improve and fix their games, unlike the patches of some other studios.

Multi-headed Cow

Hopefully they push this out to the Steam version officially. This manual exe works fine with it though, just deactivated my key and replaced the exe and everything works fine.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good on them. DKS was a solid 6/10, great for the first third before it became a exploding arrow or magic missile spamfest where everything died in a few hits while you kited all over the place and upgrades and loot meant nothing and dungeons became ever more linear, repetitive and fuller with respawning trash mobs.

Coyote

Arcane
DraQ said:

Seconded.

I remember them talking about this on their boards a few months ago when I finally got the game. Glad to see they followed through.

DraQ

Arcane
commie said:
Good on them. DKS was a solid 6/10, great for the first third before it became a exploding arrow or magic missile spamfest where everything died in a few hits while you kited all over the place and upgrades and loot meant nothing and dungeons became ever more linear, repetitive and fuller with respawning trash mobs.
6/10?

Are you nuts?

Ok, technically and in terms of the gameplay the game was hardly stellar, but it was atmospheric had good locations and a lot of charm plus sense of humour.

6/10 is what you might give oblivious after getting rid of level scaling, retarded dialogue and "TES: IV" part of the title.

Shannow

Waster of Time
DraQ said:
commie said:
6/10?

Are you nuts?

Ok, technically and in terms of the gameplay the game was hardly stellar, but it was atmospheric had good locations and a lot of charm plus sense of humour.

6/10 is what you might give oblivious after getting rid of level scaling, retarded dialogue and "TES: IV" part of the title.
DraQ adhering to the "anything worse than 8/10 = shit"-rating system :decline:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DraQ said:
You think that's bad, I'd give ED a 4/10 and FoV a 6/10 (averaging out to 5/10 I guess). I didn't particularly like the combat, hated the character system, and dialogue and exploration only go so far with me. Plus they kind of ruined the whole "charm plus sense of humor" thing when Damian decided to go on a npc mass murdering spree and all the women started talking about how glad they were I saved them from being raped. Did not like that shift in tone at all, especially since the sidequests still kept the ridiculous humor from the previous acts.

DraQ

Arcane
Shannow said:
DraQ said:
commie said:
6/10?

Are you nuts?

DraQ adhering to the "anything worse than 8/10 = shit"-rating system :decline:
No, I'm adhering to 6/10 = enjoyable but meh, which is suitable rating for heavily modded oblivious, especially with the expansion if you discount the part where it's supposed to be a TES game and part of TES series set in TES universe.

DKS is much, much better than even heavily modded oblivious.

Roguey said:
DraQ said:
You think that's bad, I'd give ED a 4/10 and FoV a 6/10 (averaging out to 5/10 I guess). I didn't particularly like the combat, hated the character system, and dialogue and exploration only go so far with me.
Amusing, given how PS:T of the Codexian Trinity hardly has anything BUT dialogue to push it.

And if you'd give Divinity 2 4/10, what would you give to Oblivion?

-7/10?
-666/10?
munch_scream.jpg
/10?
600px-Exterminatus_Retribution.jpg
/10?
:retarded: / :troll: ?

Plus they kind of ruined the whole "charm plus sense of humor" thing when Damian decided to go on a npc mass murdering spree and all the women started talking about how glad they were I saved them from being raped. Did not like that shift in tone at all, especially since the sidequests still kept the ridiculous humor from the previous acts.
So the game should either limit itself to a cavalcade of lulz or be so grimdark and serious you need to use torches at noon to just see anything?

Divinity kept me interested from meeting Talana to the very end, with new environments, events and humour.
I have replayed it once due to savegame incompatibility between ED and DKS, and will replay it in the future only to experience it again.
Some of the more esteemed codices started replaying it as soon as they finished their first run so it isn't just me.

Oblivion, OTOH is a wide open sandbox with all that makes sandbox intertesting removed (half of the toys missing, the remaining ones broken), even if you remove the excessive derp.

Thing is that you can technically enjoy oblivion modded to remove excessive derp in a "I don't have Diablo installed, but need my derpy H&S fix badly" way, and if you rate Divinity 2 as 4/10, oblivion doesn't even fit on the scale anymore.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DraQ said:
Amusing, given how PS:T of the Codexian Trinity hardly has anything BUT dialogue to push it.
I'd also give it a 6/10. Didn't really like it that much. And Divinity 2 puts a lot more focus on combat, my killcount at the end of the ED portion was over 2000, same as DA:O. Sure, I could have cut that down by at least several hundred by skipping the flying fortresses but I wanted an accurate count and more skill points.
And if you'd give Divinity 2 4/10, what would you give to Oblivion?
Never played it. Maybe 2/10 or 1/10? I prefer the 1-5 system, since it goes well with ABCDF or excellent, above average, average, below average, failing. I don't rank games against each other.
So the game should either limit itself to a cavalcade of lulz or be so grimdark and serious you need to use torches at noon to just see anything?
Or they could have stuck with the original tone which was serious but with a lot of humor and dark humor. That necromancer's creatures randomly murdering those mine people and his/the player character's nonchalant attitude about it was funny, that whole business with Damian and his rape-happy soldiers wasn't. I wouldn't have even minded if it had just been the gas that killed them, but they had to show that cutscene with the screams and people being lined up for beheadings. It was gratuitous and unnecessary and it's kinda funny how lots of people get on Dragon Age's case for being so juvenile at its attempts at maturity but then Larian does the same thing and well, yeah.
Some of the more esteemed codices started replaying it as soon as they finished their first run so it isn't just me.
What an odd thing to do, I liked it enough to finish but I can't imagine ever replaying. Minor differences in quests aside, the combat's still going to feel like the same damn thing regardless of build and there's so much of it.
Thing is that you can technically enjoy oblivion modded to remove excessive derp in a "I don't have Diablo installed, but need my derpy H&S fix badly" way, and if you rate Divinity 2 as 4/10, oblivion doesn't even fit on the scale anymore.
Sure it does, it gets a failing grade. Divinity 2's merely below average, Flames of Vengeance is average but only because it puts a lot more focus on running around and talking to people and far less on killing things up until near the end.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I got it on Steam during the Autumn Sale for $10, only played about five hours... not sure what to say, hasn't really pulled me in yet. The engine doesn't do it any favors. Although they do a better job with Gamebryo than Bethesda combat just feels... 'weak?' Best descriptive I can think of -- hacking away at monsters doesn't feel as 'substantial' as it does in a Gothic game. Granted I'm only at the Broken Valley/starter area but the story doesn't really seem that interesting.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Metro said:
Although they do a better job with Gamebryo than Bethesda combat just feels... 'weak?' Best descriptive I can think of -- hacking away at monsters doesn't feel as 'substantial' as it does in a Gothic game.
Because creatures in Gothic actually react when they get hit, whereas in Elder Scrolls and Divinity 2 you're just flailing through air while blood spurts and timing barely matters at all unless you're dodging projectiles. It's Diablo in 3D only there are no to-hit rolls so you end up fighting human trash mobs with over 2000 HP each by endgame (and then there's the expansion).

DraQ

Arcane
Roguey said:
Metro said:
Although they do a better job with Gamebryo than Bethesda combat just feels... 'weak?' Best descriptive I can think of -- hacking away at monsters doesn't feel as 'substantial' as it does in a Gothic game.
Because creatures in Gothic actually react when they get hit, whereas in Elder Scrolls
Objection, at least when it comes to Morrowind - stagger and knockdowns are frequent, crippling and matter a lot with some builds.

Kraszu

Prophet
Roguey said:
]Never played it. Maybe 2/10 or 1/10? I prefer the 1-5 system, since it goes well with ABCDF or excellent, above average, average, below average, failing. I don't rank games against each other.

:hmmm:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Who cares about DRM?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom