Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Breaking newz! Fallout 3 is in development!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Fallout 3 (Van Buren)

<a href=http://www.globetechnology.com>Globe and Mail</a>, Canada's finest something, has posted a <a href=http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050303.gtfalloutmar3/BNStory/AtPlay/>story</a> about the Fallout drama. The article is entertaining, and you can even find an occasional fact floating in that sea of bullshit and vivid imagination.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Bethesda Softworks, developer of the outrageously successful The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, says it will be taking the wheel from Black Isle Studios and Interplay to drive one of the role-playing game market's funniest, most original and popular series back into pole position.</blockquote>Funniest?
<br>
<blockquote>Black Isle's post-nuclear gem quickly gained cult status. At some point, most every videogame publication has acknowledged Fallout's brilliance - the game won Black Isle critical acclaim and a slew of game-of-the-year awards.</blockquote>Too bad Black Isle had nothing to do with it.
<br>
<blockquote>Knowing that salary costs would far exceed its budget, the company decided to dissolve Black Isle and all work on Van Buren was abandoned. Bankruptcy meant cutting costs and PC games were too expensive, but the company was still trying to keep the franchise alive. Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel was thus released to a console audience in 2003. Mr. Reynolds explains that this is primarily due to the fact that "designing for consoles in some ways is easier. Console games tend to be a little shorter, too."</blockquote>Doesn't anyone check facts these days? Don't tell me it's not cool anymore.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Too bad Black Isle had nothing to do with it."

Talk about not checking facts. Interplay's role-play division which was in turn eventually named BIS, made Fallout hence BIS most definitely had something to do with its creation. Tsk, tsk.

As for the article itself, they sound surprised. FO3 by Bethesda is OLD news. LOL

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Who says he is? The article doesn't unless I missed that part.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Nowhere does that imply he is the foremost expert on Fallout. Nowhere. There are many reasons why he was used as a resource. At least VD is attacking them for more reasonable things (mostly).

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
"Too bad Black Isle had nothing to do with it."

Talk about not checking facts. Interplay's role-play division which was in turn eventually named BIS, made Fallout hence BIS most definitely had something to do with its creation. Tsk, tsk.
lol.

"Black Isle was established in 1998 as the RPG division of Interplay while the development team was working on Fallout 2, said Feargus Urquhart, director of Black Isle and official whip-cracker on the team. The purpose of creating Black Isle "was to create a group that would focus purely on making Forgotten Realms and Planescape AD&D branded titles, and to continue the legacy of the RPG's that gave Interplay its name in the mid to late '80s."

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Nice try. It's the same division that made both Fallouts just udner a fancy monkier. If anything, you just made Mr. Urquhart look bad since we know BIS was more than just a D&D dicision. Afterall, the BIS logo is on FO2 and it would have been on FO3 too. R00fles!

Bottom line is that the Interplay RPG Dvision which became known as BIS created FO.

Game over.

Reklar

Liturgist
Saying Black Isle created Fallout is the same as saying Troika made Fallout, Volourn. Neither entity existed at the time of Fallout's creation, and even if all of the people who worked on Fallout were later part of the division of Interplay known as Black Isle it still does not mean Black Isle gets the credit, Interplay does. You cannot credit a product to something that did not exist when it was created, especially considering the people who founded Troika (in April 1998) were part of Interplay and involved in creating Fallout, but not part of Black Isle when it was formed after Fallout's release.

As for the article, it's definitely crap. :roll:

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Nice try. It's the same division that made both Fallouts just udner a fancy monkier.
1 team=division? Not to mention that the core Fallout people left before BIS was formed.
Before that the last time Interplay made RPGs was in 95: Stonekeep, DM2. Also, DtU was released after Fallout in 98, but somehow BIS never claimed that one.

...since we know BIS was more than just a D&D dicision. Afterall, the BIS logo is on FO2
It was also on Lionheart!!! OMG!

Bottom line is that the Interplay RPG Dvision which became known as BIS created FO.
Bottom line there was no rpg division because the genre was dead. Then there was Fallout and Diablo, and THEN it was decided that RPGs aint as bad as was previously thought.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Saying Black Isle created Fallout is the same as saying Troika made Fallout, Volourn."

Not even clkose in comaprision. At least VD is pretending to be intelligent with half reasonable arguments. You aren't even trying.

Once again, BIS was/is Interplay's RPG division. There's a reaosnw hy it was credited with FO2 - because it was the same team that amde FO1 (other than the ones who started working on FO2 then quit before it was finished). To comapre it to Troika claiming FO as their own is absolutely ridiculousness. It's almost as bad as this article is.

Jed

Cipher
Reklar said:
Saying Black Isle created Fallout is the same as saying Troika made Fallout, Volourn.
Oh, ouch. You got OWNED Volourn. No amount of illogical squirming can get you out of this one!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Oh, ouch. You got OWNED Volourn. No amount of illogical squirming can get you out of this one!"

1. Don't be retarded.

2. Unlike you, I don't believe in slavery and therefore I do not beleive any human should "own" any other human being. You belong in prison for your belief in slavery.

Reklar

Liturgist
I agree Volourn, Black Isle was a division of Interplay and dedicated to creating cRPGs, but to credit Black Isle for something that was on the market before it existed is not credible, regardless of who was involved in it's creation and who was later part of Black Isle. Vault Dweller has already indicated that Interplay had no dedicated cRPG development division prior to Black Isle, so the point is moot. I realize it is tempting to credit Black Isle for Fallout because of it's heritage, but it is an inaccurate statement.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I agree Volourn"

Thank you.

I win.

That is all.

:D :D :D

Jinxed

Liturgist
I thought this got explained to vol the last time. Geeze, some people. Trying to reason with vol is probably close to doing the same thing with Chuck Cuevas about why FOBOS was a bad idea.

taks

Liturgist
Reklar said:
Saying Black Isle created Fallout is the same as saying Troika made Fallout, Volourn. Neither entity existed at the time of Fallout's creation, and even if all of the people who worked on Fallout were later part of the division of Interplay known as Black Isle it still does not mean Black Isle gets the credit, Interplay does. You cannot credit a product to something that did not exist when it was created, especially considering the people who founded Troika (in April 1998) were part of Interplay and involved in creating Fallout, but not part of Black Isle when it was formed after Fallout's release.
noooo... volourn did NOT say BIS made fallout. he merely pointed out that to say "BIS had nothing to do with fallout" is a bad statement. he's not giving BIS "credit" for creating fallout, merely pointing out the connection. the connection between BIS and fallout is greater than "insert other company here" and fallout any day.

oh, and VD, give it up. we all know the official "reasons" behind the creation of BIS. the fact remains that it was the "rpg division" of interplay that became BIS. same entity, different name. happens all the time - my division within DRS has had three names since i joined in the past 2 1/2 years, does that mean we had nothing to do with the creation of our original products? it just pisses you off that troika doesn't get credit that you feel it is due.

taks

Avin

Liturgist
if the phrase is "the thing that one day will be named BLACK ISLE created fallout" i'm ok with it. saying that BLACK ISLE created fallout 1 is a lie, because there wasn't the name black isle at that time.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Avin is being an idiot again. Typical.

I have always said, quite clearly, that Interplay's RPG Division that would become known as BIS created FO. You can't get more clear than that. Duh.

It sure as hell trying to pass off TROIKA as the creators of FO.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

obediah

Erudite
Avin said:
if the phrase is "the thing that one day will be named BLACK ISLE created fallout" i'm ok with it. saying that BLACK ISLE created fallout 1 is a lie, because there wasn't the name black isle at that time.

Is it a lie to say

"Accenture advised Enron to illegally shred documents"

I would argue it's just as valid to talk about an entities past actions using their current name. Plenty of people have left Anderson/Accenture over the past few years - but it's the same company. Just as Interplay's inhouse rpg division was the same entity even with a slick name and extra teams.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom