Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Skyrim Goodness

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>As if it wasn't obvious enough judging by the threads in GRPGD, Kotaku figured that Skyrim is the <a href="http://kotaku.com/5862021/skyrim-is-the-pinnacle-of-short-attention-span-gaming" target="_blank">pinnacle of Short Attention Span Gaming</a>. Todd and Pete, all is forgiven!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>It would appear that for me, the nation of Skyrim is much more compelling than the game, Skyrim. Of course, that's not a criticism! For starters, I'm sure that the story is great. But more than that, it couldn't be a criticism even if I intended it as such&mdash;Skyrim the game is nothing if not a "place simulator," and it succeeds marvelously at this task. Skyrim, the place, is one of the most spectacular creations yet seen in gaming.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>But it raises the question of what a game like this is supposed to be, if anything. Is it an epic tale of adventure? Is it a series of RPG sidequests, dungeons and castles built into a large overmap? Or is it something more than all of that, a collection of ideas and stories and locations and randomania that is so thorough, so exhaustively large, that it finally just becomes habitable? I fear for the people of Skyrim&mdash;the Gods have given them a savior with kitty-cat memory, a guy who is just as likely to valiantly Climb the Mountain and Fight the Dragon as he is to forget why he came to this town and spend a few hours looking in storefronts.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>JTM Games ponders over the <a href="http://jtmgames.com/2011/11/21/the-psychology-of-skyrim/" target="_blank">psychological intricacies</a> of everyone's RPG of the year.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Autism</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Now we&rsquo;re getting serious. The Dov&auml;kiin is, for my money, undeniably and very seriously autistic. Autism, one of three recognized disorders on the autism spectrum, is characterized by, amongst other things, impaired social interaction and problems with verbal and nonverbal communication. Both these issues are immediately recognizable in the Dov&auml;kiin.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>He has absolutely no sense of social boundaries. He walks into peoples&rsquo; houses, rifles through their things, approaches random children without thought of what might be implied, and barges into conversations whenever he damned well pleases. Fortunately for him, the people of Skyrim are understanding and only occasionally call him out on his rudeness.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>He has serious trouble with both verbal and nonverbal communication. As far as nonverbal goes, he doesn&rsquo;t seem able to do much other than walk, hop, and look up and down; facial expressions seem a completely foreign language to him. Verbal communication is where he&rsquo;s really got a problem, however. The only sounds he&rsquo;s able to make are grunts and yelps when being attacked, as well as violently loud shouts. (How he&rsquo;s able to convey what he wants in conversations is anyone&rsquo;s guess. My theory is some kind of Dragonborn telepathy.)</p>
</blockquote>
<p>And last but not least, a <a href="http://www.trustedreviews.com/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim_Games_review?" target="_blank">trusty sample review</a> from Trusted Reviews , 10/10.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span>Finally, it would be a disservice to Skyrim if we didn&rsquo;t mention the dragons. These awesome beasts &ndash; the central focus of the plot &ndash; aren&rsquo;t dished out willy-nilly, but when they are they make a suitably dramatic high-point. They&rsquo;re not always quite as formidable as they might look, but each provides its own memorable fight. In fact, Skyrim is a game that comes thick with epic moments, which is impressive given the sheer scale of the game. As an idea, we&rsquo;d finished half of this year&rsquo;s blockbusters in the time it took us to just uncover the main storyline of Skyrim, and we hadn&rsquo;t taken every side-quest or raided every tomb along the way.</span><br /><br /><span>In a way, Skyrim takes the RPG back to its roots, with its dungeons and dragons, its tunnels and its trolls. There&rsquo;s something about its eerie tombs and nordic landscapes that reaches back to Tolkien, Poul Anderson and even Wagner without ever feeling like a rip-off. For anyone who has ever wanted to explore those fantasy worlds, Skyrim is nothing short of a dream come true.</span><br /><br /><strong>Verdict</strong><br /><br /><span>The fifth Elder Scrolls game is a worth successor to Oblivion, and one of the best RPGs ever made. Technically, it&rsquo;s not a huge a progression from Oblivion, but it&rsquo;s a game where all the elements &ndash; graphics, sound, art design, music and gameplay &ndash; combine to make one incredibly immersive whole. Clear your diary, take a break and cancel Christmas if you have to: unless you have an allergy to sword and sorcery, you'll need every spare second to play.</span></p>
</blockquote>
<p>Back to the roots, bros. Back to the roots.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/?rwsiteid=1#18531">RPGWatch</a></p>

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wish i could record these idiots playing pathologic.

baronjohn

Cipher
Pathologic? You just follow the quest compass (map) and pick up all the trash on the way. Ez.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Skyrim is a roleplaying game where you role play a citizen of Skyrim.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
He has absolutely no sense of social boundaries. He walks into peoples’ houses, rifles through their things, approaches random children without thought of what might be implied, and barges into conversations whenever he damned well pleases.

Really? So just the same as pretty much every character in almost all RPGs?

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

flabbyjack

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Autism
Now we’re getting serious. The Doväkiin is, for my money, undeniably and very seriously autistic. Autism, one of three recognized disorders on the autism spectrum, is characterized by, amongst other things, impaired social interaction and problems with verbal and nonverbal communication. Both these issues are immediately recognizable in the Doväkiin.
He has absolutely no sense of social boundaries. He walks into peoples’ houses, rifles through their things, approaches random children without thought of what might be implied, and barges into conversations whenever he damned well pleases. ...

I also had the same conclusion, however a different observation led me to it. The dovakiin is very clearly an idiot savant, the savant part being his innate genius-level grasp of the dragon language, a skill 'anybody can learn' but takes a lifetime to master. Rain Man inspired by this guy

Yes I'm becoming a bit bored with Skyrim. Yes I knew I would be engrossed by it for 30 hours and then burn out, like with all other Bethesda games (except for FO3 which I couldn't stand at all). Is it a problem: no. Skyrim's still a good game while Oblivion was an abomination. I never finished Morrowind neither even though I started it three times and put a lot of hours in it. Skyrim's more or less the same. After going crazy playing it without stopping I now find myself going back to it for shorter sessions. It doesn't mean it's shit: it is not. I don't have the old DA:O or Oblivion feeling: what am I doing playing this piece of crap?

But it's clear that it isn't no Bloodlines or FO:NV which I couldn't stop playing till the end. But well, I never expected anything from Skyrim, only the worse after Oblivion. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's a good Bethesda game, just like Daggerfall or Morrowind: bland, addictive at first then boring, with a huge amount of content. And it's all right in my books. Daggerfall, Morrowind and Skyrim are not TROLOLO AWFUL I TOLD YOU SO. Stop being morons for a second.

ChristofferC

Magister
Luzur said:
approaches random children without thought of what might be implied

wait, so is approaching children a social stigma now? shit i walked past several of them today!
Didn't you know? The only reason for any man to want to approach a child or be friendly towards a child is that they want to gently caress him/her.

kris

Arcane
Luzur said:

wait, so is approaching children a social stigma now? shit i walked past several of them today!

This really caught my eye. I talked with random children all over the world. I didn't know that made me autistic.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Was... was the second article trying to be funny? By... by criticizing "jokingly" in Skyrim what happens in 99% of RPGs (taking quests from random dudes, hoarding, not eating, entering all buildings)?

And the third one:

Skyrim continues Oblivion’s work of simplifying the RPG

...that's a good thing?

I think Itemporarily lost my ability to smile.

:retarded:

CraigCWB

Educated
But it raises the question of what a game like this is supposed to be, if anything. Is it an epic tale of adventure? Is it a series of RPG sidequests, dungeons and castles built into a large overmap? Or is it something more than all of that, a collection of ideas and stories and locations and randomania that is so thorough, so exhaustively large, that it finally just becomes habitable? I fear for the people of Skyrim—the Gods have given them a savior with kitty-cat memory, a guy who is just as likely to valiantly Climb the Mountain and Fight the Dragon as he is to forget why he came to this town and spend a few hours looking in storefronts.

Sounds like a single-player MMO...

I don't know what it is with game reviewers so noob to computer gaming that they are still in "land-o-wonder" mode. I haven't got Skyrim yet but I imagine I'll like it (for a while) just fine, as I've liked all Bethesda games since Oblivion. But they've been doing this vast open world that's "populated" by spawn tables instead of hand-crafted and well thought out encounters since 1993. Just because they (seemingly) managed to do it better than they have in the past doesn't make it revolutionary. [/i]

DraQ

Arcane
Autism

Now we’re getting serious. The Doväkiin is, for my money, undeniably and very seriously autistic. Autism, one of three recognized disorders on the autism spectrum, is characterized by, amongst other things, impaired social interaction and problems with verbal and nonverbal communication. Both these issues are immediately recognizable in the Doväkiin.

He has absolutely no sense of social boundaries. He walks into peoples’ houses, rifles through their things, approaches random children without thought of what might be implied, and barges into conversations whenever he damned well pleases. Fortunately for him, the people of Skyrim are understanding and only occasionally call him out on his rudeness.

He has serious trouble with both verbal and nonverbal communication. As far as nonverbal goes, he doesn’t seem able to do much other than walk, hop, and look up and down; facial expressions seem a completely foreign language to him. Verbal communication is where he’s really got a problem, however. The only sounds he’s able to make are grunts and yelps when being attacked, as well as violently loud shouts. (How he’s able to convey what he wants in conversations is anyone’s guess. My theory is some kind of Dragonborn telepathy.)
This one was pretty lulzy, actually.
:salute:

Not very specific and applicable to most cRPGs in existence, but nevertheless an entertaining read.

Morbus

Scholar
kris said:
Luzur said:

This really caught my eye. I talked with random children all over the world. I didn't know that made me autistic.
One thing you oughta learn, as a general rule, Americans are stupid. They'll probe your ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom