Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Knights Of The Chalice 2 Goals

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tags: Heroic Fantasy Games

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>BlueSalamander <a href="http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&amp;t=213">shares his thoughts on Knights Of The Chalice 2</a>:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>
<p>I've done some initial work for the next game and here are some of my goals - I'd like to switch:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>* from procedural programming to object oriented (OO is much more suitable for a large project, I now realise this)</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>* from a Windows-specific development library (DirectX) to a cross-platform library (probably SFML) that works on Linux, Mac and Windows. It has been said that 50% of indie RPG sales are Mac versions.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>* from a low resolution window to high resolution (preferably a 1024x768 window) - this means starting from scratch on graphic assets. Something approaching the graphic quality of Temple of Elemental Evil for dungeon tiles would be ideal. The game would still use 2D tiles and sprites and the same kind of Ultima-VII perspective. Initially I was more in favour of keeping the low resolution. But it's probably worth trying to get graphics closer to TOEE or Eschalon in order to widen the audience.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>* together with the graphic change, it will be good to change from MIDI music to CD-quality music in ogg format.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>* from a focus on a single large adventure to a module editor that could be used to create small modules intended for player characters of a certain level. After finishing a module, the same player characters could be transferred into another module where they can continue adventuring and levelling up. Just like the classic D&amp;D modules. Some features will go away, like listening at the door, as it makes level design slower without bringing much benefit.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>So yeah, it goes without saying that all this will take time! But wouldn't it be great to have an editor like the one of Neverwinter Nights, with top-down 2D and turn-based combat?</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15462">RPG Watch</a></p>

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"OO is much more suitable for a large project, I now realise this"

predict analysis paralysis.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
If it's old thats a relief for me. Talking about 'now I realize' usually means pushing a game back by 2-3 years. Considering how long it's already been, if I expected it to be another 3 years before this comes out I'd remove it from my bookmarks and try to forget about it, honestly.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THIS IS A LITTLE MISLEADING BECAUSE I THINK HIS MOST RECENT INFO SAID HE WAS GOING FOR A DIFFERENT GRAPHIC VIEW SOMETHING WITH TILES PORTRAITS AND NO ANIMATIONS

I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH

mondblut

Arcane
Jaesun said:
But wouldn't it be great to have an editor like the one of Neverwinter Nights, with top-down 2D and turn-based combat?

You mean, like FRUA and Dungeon Craft and Blades of Exile and Realmz? ...Oh wait, they already exist.

Dropping existing features of dungeon interaction (i.e. listening at doors) is a BAD way to start with an editor. The number one difference between doing an editor and doing a game is realizing just because *you* can't find much use of some feature or another doesn't mean nobody else wouldn't. If you fail to realize that, stick to making non-moddable games and save other people's time otherwise spent on hacking and reverse engineering your code to enable stuff you deemed "unneeded".

OuterSpace

Scholar
BRO THIS IS A LITTLE MISLEADING BECAUSE I THINK HIS MOST RECENT INFO SAID HE WAS GOING FOR A DIFFERENT GRAPHIC VIEW SOMETHING WITH TILES PORTRAITS AND NO ANIMATIONS

I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH

you are not wrong. Halfway down page 3 forum thread he has a picture of the style hes going for.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Jaesun said:
from a low resolution window to high resolution (preferably a 1024x768 window) -

Yeeeeeey! :thumbsup:

Jaesun said:
Something approaching the graphic quality of Temple of Elemental Evil for dungeon tiles would be ideal.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY. :love:

Jaesun said:
The game would still use .... the same kind of Ultima-VII perspective.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :x

I hate that camera perspective. Somehow it doesn't feel right for me. Use a camera angel similare to the ones used in the infinity enginy, TOEE engine games.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I'm still a little sceptical about the top down view sans animations. I like games that ape the mechanics of board games, but don't necessarily think that stretches to the presentation. Still, if he pulls off that modular style, with an easy to use editor, all will be forgiven.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DwarvenFood said:
Don't know about the modules vs. one big campaign though.
D&D pretty much always falls apart once you hit the mid-teens so I don't see anything wrong with this.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
This Watch / Codex posting 2 years old info as news thing just goes to show how badly most of us want KotC 2 to finally be released. Bring it on!

...and hopefully some the Dark Sun-emulating modules will appear, since we will have proper psionics!

Shannow

Waster of Time
Humanity has risen! said:
I was initially excited, then I quickly realized it was a two years-old post.
I was all "FUUUUuuuuu! I thought you fuck were near finished with KotC2 *grrrrr*"
Hearing that that was 2 year old news made me :M

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Elwro said:
This Watch / Codex posting 2 years old info as news thing just goes to show how badly most of us want KotC 2 to finally be released. Bring it on!

...and hopefully some the Dark Sun-emulating modules will appear, since we will have proper psionics!

So true.

:thumbsup:

and :oops: for not reading your comments on the watch.

Want. This. Game. Now.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well, current status is that his making the ground work for KotC2. The actual game won't be out in years, probably, as the guy is also doing a some sort of RTS that uses the same engine.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
GarfunkeL said:
Well, current status is that his making the ground work for KotC2. The actual game won't be out in years, probably, as the guy is also doing a some sort of RTS that uses the same engine.

Maybe he's going down the same path Gareth Fouche did. Make a game with a quicker return on investment to actually finance his dream project. After all KOTC was always a weekend deal for him and trust me, it gets old spending ALL your spare time on a game for years, let alone a second time around.

And everyone knows cRPGs are harder to make and sell less than just about any other type of game (but we're so much COOLER :lol:)

If that's true it may actually end up being a way to get KOTC2 (or FWE) done quicker. Or done at all!

torpid

Liturgist
GarfunkeL said:

Wait, what? Working on something else? When did that happen? He's not allowed to do that :x

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
GarfunkeL said:
The actual game won't be out in years, probably, as the guy is also doing a some sort of RTS that uses the same engine.
WAT

:x

Never heard of this!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom