Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Skyrim!!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>It appears <strong>The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim</strong> is selling absolute buckets, <a href="http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88459/skyrim-sales-exceed-34-million-units-in-two-days/" target="_blank">according to VGChartz</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>2011 is fast becoming the year games debuted at incredible numbers, as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim sells over 3.4 million copies at retail (not including digital sales) in its first 2 days on sale.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Up over 600% on Oblivion's modest 490k staggered opening across PS3 and X360, Skyrim will manage to outsell Oblivion as a whole in a matter of weeks. 59% of units were sold on the X360 (over 2 million copies) and 27% on the PS3, with 14% on PC.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>2.5 million of the total sold in Americas, with the remaining 950,000 units in EMEAA.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has managed to beat out Gears of War 3 and Fifa Soccer 12 for first week sales, and is on par with Battlfield 3, but with only 2 days sales it's selling at a faster rate. Only Modern Warfare 3 will be ahead of Skyrim, which, for an RPG, is incredible.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>A small number of gamers are experiencing&nbsp;a few unforeseen and unfortunate bugs&nbsp;while playing Skyrim, but fear not: Bethesda are <a href="http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212532p1.html" target="_blank">working on the problem</a> already.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Patches are coming to fix reported bugs in Skyrim. Bethesda has confirmed that issues will be addressed for all systems, and that work is currently underway on the updates.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>"We are continuing to work on an update for all platforms to address any bugs and [performance] issues we can," Bethesda VP of PR and Marketing Pete Hines tweeted.&nbsp;</p>
</blockquote>
<p>PCGamer already assembled a list of their <a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/14/the-10-best-skyrim-mods-so-far/" target="_blank">favorite Skyrim mods so far</a>. A sample:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>6. No Spider Mod</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Arachnophobes like PC Gamer contributor Richard Cobbett have a hard time with games like Skyrim. Which is why No Spiders patches are so useful. This first attempt at a spider free Skyrim is particularly hilarious, as it replaces the models of the spiders with hilariously out of place bears.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Thanks god, the spider problem has been fixed. Keep an eye out for mods that fix the rest.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>And at last, Country_Gravy pointed us to this <a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/09/bethesdas-pete-hines-on-skyrim-sports-and-specialization/" target="_blank">Pete Hines interview</a> on Joystiq.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>"Good games are good games," said Hines, "so the core experience is the same on all platforms, and we try to do some things with the UI for PC folks to have the best experience possible. From a technical standpoint, yes, the PC is a headache. It just is. A million different possibilities of hardware, drivers, etc. As you saw with Rage, all it takes is some bad video card drivers and years of hard work comes off as 'buggy' when in fact it's a really solid, stable game."</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Apart from driver issues and wildly unpredictable configuration possibilities, one of the biggest obstacles with developing for PCs right now is piracy. Having a great game people want to play may be a winning strategy on the consoles, but on the PC that just makes you more susceptible to having your game jacked and not making a dime from it. Hines acknowledges this is a problem Bethesda has also faced.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>"Unless you decide not to make your games available for PC, it's a problem and you have to deal with it," he said. "So we do the best we can to protect it without resorting to Draconian measures, and we continue to enthusiastically support our PC fans with things like the Creation Kit and the ability to create and add unlimited amounts of mods and content to your existing PC game."</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Yes, I've heard PC gamers are amazed by the UI.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

circ

Arcane
Bobblehead Pete said:
"Good games are good games," said Hines, "so the core experience is the same on all platforms, and we try to do some things with the UI for PC folks to have the best experience possible. From a technical standpoint, yes, the PC is a headache. It just is. A million different possibilities of hardware, drivers, etc. As you saw with Rage, all it takes is some bad video card drivers and years of hard work comes off as 'buggy' when in fact it's a really solid, stable game."
How does a shitty UI, mouse sensitivity, extreme clipping, non existant AA relate to drivers exactly Pete? They could if it were another studio, but you just suck.

This is almost as hilarious as the soundtrack guy for DA2 calling [DA2] buggy and the editor correcting him and saying he was talking about the bugs IN THE SOUNDTRACK.

ortucis

Prophet
From a technical standpoint, yes, the PC is a headache. It just is. A million different possibilities of hardware, drivers, etc. As you saw with Rage, all it takes is some bad video card drivers and years of hard work comes off as 'buggy' when in fact it's a really solid, stable game."

Number 1 complaint with Skyrim is the shitty GUI. People are running the game at 50,000FPS as far as performance is concerned.

Problem with RAGE? No advance video options whatsoever. The whole point of having advanced options on PC is that players who can't run game properly cant turn off few useless effects like motion blur for extra performance. But of course these retards making games for consoletard generation wouldn't know the point. Oh wait, it was id who did the deed this time. Even Fallout 3/Skyrim had more fucking video options than last 2 games from id Software.

Also, why not just tell the people which driver you used during production for which card? Release them infact, we can see if it's a driver issue instantly.

Silentrider

Augur
VentilatorOfDoom said:
6. No Spider Mod

Arachnophobes like PC Gamer contributor Richard Cobbett have a hard time with games like Skyrim. Which is why No Spiders patches are so useful. This first attempt at a spider free Skyrim is particularly hilarious, as it replaces the models of the spiders with hilariously out of place bears.

Are they for real?

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I have only few questions. Why da fuck anyone sane plays this shit? And da fuck a text light hiking sim is still being called an rpg?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Silentrider said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
6. No Spider Mod

Arachnophobes like PC Gamer contributor Richard Cobbett have a hard time with games like Skyrim. Which is why No Spiders patches are so useful. This first attempt at a spider free Skyrim is particularly hilarious, as it replaces the models of the spiders with hilariously out of place bears.

Are they for real?
Was also a big mod in Drakensang and I believe DAO also had something along those lines. People are fucked up, news at 11...

I thought that was an old interview, checked the date and realize that Bobble Pete (aka Smile of Terror) simply is not a learning animal and keeps on repeating his nonsense...*shrug*

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I knew that if I spammed the "Contact Us" inbox enough someone would post it. I feel like such a bro!

The more I hear about Skyrim, the more I realize that I will never play this game. It is obvious that these are going more and more console and will never turn back the other direction. At some point don't people have to realize that these games are getting worse and worse and stop buying it?

I guess there is no end to the stupidity of the sheeple.

deuxhero

Arcane
Silentrider said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
6. No Spider Mod

Are they for real?

FFS, it's not like they are Dark Messiah's horribly overpowered spiders either!

Black

Arcane
Country_Gravy said:
I knew that if I spammed the "Contact Us" inbox enough someone would post it. I feel like such a bro!

The more I hear about Skyrim, the more I realize that I will never play this game. It is obvious that these are going more and more console and will never turn back the other direction. At some point don't people have to realize that these games are getting worse and worse and stop buying it?

Careful, you're dangerously close to "being extreme only to earn KKKpointz"!
You should know better, there are no bad games out there.

^Spiders in DM were hard?

ortucis

Prophet
deuxhero said:
Silentrider said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
6. No Spider Mod

Are they for real?

FFS, it's not like they are Dark Messiah's horribly overpowered spiders either!

Arachnophobia isn't the "fear of overpowered spiders.. probably 20+ lvls than your character". And yes, this is a real problem for many gamers (mods like this have been released for Beth games before).

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm semi-arachnophobic IRL(I don't know, I fear most spiders except the really tiny ones and daddy longlegs) but I don't mind pixellated spiders for the most part. The only computer game spiders that instill a real sense of revulsion are those in Thief and System Shock 2. Those spindly, low poly things are just so unsettling, mush like most of the bestiary in those games.

Rhalle

Magister
As usual, the "bugs" talk is overblown-- not that Skyrim's perfect in that respect.

And the UI is consolated crap. But, truth be told, it's not much different from FO3.

The worst technical issue with SKyrim on PC are the shadows that look like they were drawn in MSPaint and which eat up CPU cycles while the graphics card takes a nap. Now, that's just bullshit.

That Oblivion and Skyrim are the same size-- that both clock-in at 6GB, and that Skyrim looks so much better, is arguably something of an achievement, to be honest.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Rhalle said:
As usual, the "bugs" talk is overblown-- not that Skyrim's perfect in that respect.

I'd be curious to see a side by side comparison of "bugs" in Skyrim vs New Vegas, at release.

I'd be willing to bet they are about the same.

Temaperacl

Erudite
It varies based on the degree of the phobia - I'm an extreme arachnophobe and I find most on-screen spiders to be disturbing or worse - they don't usually compare to even obviously fake physical spiders, but there have been a few that have evoked a strong enough reaction that I can't play that game or section of that game. Given the prevalence of arachnophobia, I'm not suprised at all there are mods for this.

memebot3.0b

Educated
15dvwnr.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm a rather heavy arachnophobe (that daddy longlegs Commie mentioned is actually one of the worst for me) and get a real panic when I see a spider near to me in a room without any convenient way of removing it (which means, anywhere that is not inside the shower where I can just wash it away with water and it's gone) and I feel uneasy until someone's come and removed it.

But I don't mind spiders in games at all. They're just 3D models that mostly don't even look realistic. And they're usually not the really repulsive type of spider, anyway, mostly they're the plushy ones. But even the Thief ones commie mentioned aren't really creepy to me.

Pictures of real-life spiders on the internet send chills down my spine, though. Virtual 3D spiders... nah, not a problem.

Shannow

Waster of Time
*insert creepy pics of spiders*

:troll:

Wow, you guys are fucked up. But I'll consider spider-pics as a substitute for goatse in future shock links....

Morkar Left

Country_Gravy said:

I think the only reason they still develop for pc is the construction kit. As soon as they find a solution to release a construction set for consoles the pc versions will begone. Maybe people will have the possibility to make a mod on pc and transferring it to the console hd or something like that.

@memebot3.0b: hey that was funny!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" I would be VERY interested to know how much Dragon Age 1 and 2 sold. I doubt it was close to this much."

BIO has never really been near Bethesda in terms of actual sales.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Crooked Bee said:
And you call yourselves men, ha.

When I showered the other day, I found that a big spider hid in the curtain and fell in the water. I saw it floating and immediately took it out to put it on the side, but it didn't move anymore. It looked like I was too late and it drowned. I felt so sad that I didn't want to throw it away and left its lifeless body there. It was in the same position later that night, but in the morning I noticed that it was actually still alive and climbed on the nearby wall. Spiderbro is still in my bathroom and doing well.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Only Modern Warfare 3 will be ahead of Skyrim, which, for an RPG, is incredible.
Fuck you.

Seems like a lot of the Codex is enjoying this game though, judging by the shit in GRPG right now.

Mortmal

Arcane
Thats sad they never take into account digital sales , 14% only on the pc is really grim and as a businessman id thought the platform is irrelevant for gaming. Why bother to cope with allt he hardware configurations and problems just for so few sales.
For arachnophobia, theres a treatment invovling watching alternatively,naked women pictures and spider pictures, hope it will help.No, no its really a true treatment, youll thanks me later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom