Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dead State Design Update

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dead State; DoubleBear Productions

<p>A new <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/105710-dead-state-design-update.html" target="_blank">design update</a> on Dead State is available, this time governing the brush hook and axes in general.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The Brush Hook is a proud member of the axe family of weapons. Let's discuss some pros and cons of the axe weapon class:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Axes are a bladed weapon that puts a lot force behind their slash. They are more efficient at causing limb damage than any other class, but they are also good at causing bleeding. Most are two-handed weapons.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Pros</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>-Excellent for crippling enemies</p>
<p>-Decent critical multiplier</p>
<p>-Higher critical rate</p>
<p>-Fairly common weapons</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Cons</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>-Slower to wield</p>
<p>-lower base damage</p>
<p>-Somewhat high strength needed</p>
</blockquote>

Krash

Arcane
Not one single fucking post. I guess this isn't about Skyrim. :roll:

EDIT:
Cripple – An attack targeted at the arms
AP Cost: 7 (Slow)
Damage: 10-29 (Okay damage)
Modifier: Arm Sprain chance 30% (Arm sprain doubles the cost of AP for everything except walking)

Hack - A furious series of wild slashes.
AP Cost: 7
Damage: 17-37
Modifier: Double damage if the target presently has a status effect

Hamstring - An attack aimed at the legs.
AP Cost: 7
Damage: 10-29
Modifier: Leg Sprain Chance 30% (Leg sprain doubles the AP cost of movement)

I gotta say I like this alternative attack system, makes different weapons more unique and interesting. Especially attacks based on target status. Hopefully all weapons will have something in this vein, and the AI will be at least semi-competent using them.

Wunderpurps

Educated
I'd think the attacks would go more along with character skills or perks than weapons but it's a good idea.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Wunderpurps said:
I'd think the attacks would go more along with character skills or perks than weapons but it's a good idea.
Yeah, I agree. Weapons could still have unique attacks, but some stuff like aimed attacks should be universal.

Also, why can't you do an aimed attack to the head with axes?

Dyspaire

Cipher
Holy crap. Only four replies.

Not a huge fan of the chosen genre, mostly because nothing has been more overused in recent memory... but from a gameplay standpoint, from a mechanics standpoint, Dead State is right up there on the most anticipated list.

Have to disagree with the vaporware comment... pretty sure this one is well on its way.

The detail in every design update just makes it sound more and more like one great crpg is on its way.

Godspeed.

2c

Bulba

Learned
it's just a bad timing for an update, and where are videos and screenshots? without them there is nothing to discuss :(

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
felipepepe said:
Bulba said:
it's just a bad timing for an update, and where are videos and screenshots? without them there is nothing to discuss :(
Yeah, it's a pretty weak update...

They are probably busy playing Skyrim, like half the Codex.

I think they should be using Youtube to get their message out. Brian Mitsoda, Annie Carlson and Vault Dweller, discussing their games' progress each month via Skype, should generate a lot more interest than text announcements.

For example, these guys know how to promote themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WolfireGames

Wunderpurps

Educated
If you have the material that's great, I guess. But it takes time and effort. I'd think the big lesson with aod would be that actually working on your game instead of talking about it is the way it gets completed but I know I am an asshole trolling lying alt piece of shit and all so nothing I say could possibly be true.

Baron

Arcane
Dead State update said:
Emmet realized if he wanted to be the best bluegrass fiddler in the world, he would have to stop falling down the chasm.
Acknowledgement of posted update and feigned interest re: weapon stats.

edit - yeah Wolfire/Overgrowth is the only game I check in on to see their vids, good use of promotion. From the updated bunny maiming, terrain, and particularly the toolkit vids, it's building interest in me despite I hated half of Lugaru's demo... fucking platform jumping is as painful and retarded as they were in the 80s. But punching rabbits I can get into.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Excidium said:
Wunderpurps said:
Yeah, I agree. Weapons could still have unique attacks, but some stuff like aimed attacks should be universal.

Also, why can't you do an aimed attack to the head with axes?

Tying the effectiveness of aimed attacks to character skill would be a great way to encourage weapon type specialization plus would make character power progression make more sense in an environment where you can't/don't want to add really high powered equipment for later game characters.

Have any of you played around with the DF adventure mode? The targeted attacks in that were pretty cool, though the system was still pretty half baked in the last build I played. It adds a lot, tactics-wise to decide between going for the easy hit and sure damage or trying for a tricky, absolutely-devastating-if-it-lands blow. Also, the masochistic side of me loved the danger of being permanently crippled in battle. Winding up a legless ankle-biting fiend in that game was great.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
risne 2 and dead state are the only games worth looking forward to this year and i for one would like DS to be released fucking ASAP

christ

it looks like it will run on a graphics card powered by a mouse in a wheel ffs whats the hold up shit fuck hell
The hold up: it's being made by a bunch of amateurs and two game "designers" (one part-time) who can kinda/sorta script, maybe. Don't expect it this year.

MCA
Slower to wield
Somewhat high strength needed

Such a shame they are going after this same stereotypical bullshit.

Also fuck your attitudes, we don't have a news feed at the top of the page and I'm just now seeing this update for the first time.

EG

Nullified
They're still new at this.

I mean, look at the Majesty of Age of Decadence; How long did it take to reach such heights?

Give them a few more years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom