Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News The Witcher 2 Sales

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p><span>Marcin Iwiński from CDProjekt reveals <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/article/71038/the-witcher-2-digital-sales-breakdown-81-on-steam" target="_blank">some sales data</a> of The Witcher 2.</span></p>
<p><span> </span></p>
<blockquote>
<p>Roughly 240,000 copies of The Witcher 2 were sold across all digital distribution platforms between its May 17 launch and October 30, CD Projekt revealed. Steam accounted for over 195,000 of these (around 81%), while Good Old Games rung up "approximately" 35,000 (15%).</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>All other other digital distributors combined--including GamersGate, Direct2Drive, Impulse, and Amazon--only managed "approximately" 10,000 sales (4%-ish) between them.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>"The digital sales of The Witcher 2 have exceeded our expectations," CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwiński said in today's announcement. "We are even more pleased that our own platform GOG.com had such a great share in the Witcher's success."</p>
</blockquote>
<p>So they've sold 1 million in total, a quarter of that through digital download services.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/article/71038/the-witcher-2-digital-sales-breakdown-81-on-steam">Shacknews</a></p>

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
1 million is not that much by itself for a AAA game, but if you consider that this is a PC only title at the moment, it is quite good. I predict the xbawks version will sell another million at least.

ortucis

Prophet
Elwro said:
attackfighter said:
Awesome game -> awesome sales. Bioware shall never learn this secret.
For Bioware, this would be laughable sales, I think,

These ARE laughable sales for a AAA developer. Why do you think they are working on a console version? Probably will end up outselling DA2 in a month when console version is released.

On Steam like services most PC gamers expect games to be discounted heavily. Else Witcher 2 would have earned a lot more than a million, which is pathetic for a high profile release.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
J_C said:
1 million is not that much by itself for a AAA game, but if you consider that this is a PC only title at the moment, it is quite good. I predict the xbawks version will sell another million at least.

True, for PC-only it's not that bad at all and if a future console version sells another million or even more it'd be a pretty good success for CDProjekt.

made

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Steam accounted for over 195,000 of these (around 81%), while Good Old Games rung up "approximately" 35,000 (15%).
That's sad. It was cheaper AND without DRM on GOG... wtf, mankind?

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You Also have to take into account that there are less money going to middlemen on the PC.

SO a Million sold on PC is worth more then a million sold on console.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
made said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Steam accounted for over 195,000 of these (around 81%), while Good Old Games rung up "approximately" 35,000 (15%).

Advertising and publicity did this. On TW2 boards some people didn't know WTF GOG is.

relootz

Scholar
made said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

.... Steam is much better known, are you getting lobotomized by your long stay at the codex made?

A million sounds good especially for a PC only title. Anyone got an idea how much Starcraft 2 sold?

(I know its RTS but still PC only too)

wikipedia : On August 3, 2010, Blizzard announced that StarCraft II sold more than one million units worldwide within one day of its release :o

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
A million for an ARPG just on PC from a company without the propaganda budget of Bioware and Bethesda? That's great, that is. It's also like most games of it's type bound to keep selling at a steady rate.

In comparison I've read that until July 22 2011(last semi sensible figures I could find) that DA:O sold barely 400,000 copies on the PC(3.79 million in total) and DA2 sold less than 300,000 copies on the PC(out of 1.45 million). Now of course you can take the totals with a grain of salt, but the important thing is the ratio of PC sales to overall sales and that is going to be roughly the same regardless of figures. Since we know from the shareholder reports that DA:O sold-in around 4 million(and of course not all of those were actually sold) then the figures I posted would be reasonably accurate to draw from.

In conclusion, for a Bioware game to sell a million on the PC it would have to sell around 8 million copies in total and they are very far from that. So the r00fles! are on all the Bioware fags that are trying to skew the figures as a tragedy when the real tragedy is within their own pitiful PC sales figures.

Bravo CDPR. Now I hope the XBAWKS version sells as much for increased profit(since the game is done, only needs porting and polishing) and they can start work on TW3!

made said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

That's still almost 1.4 million dollars just for CDPR(minus hosting costs of GOG service). Every dollar counts, and considering that the game cost 10 million dollars to make, clearing 10%+ of the development cost from just 35,000 sales is great.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I haven't even tried this. Still need to finish Witcher 1 and some things put me off about 2.

Just one thing, at least as far as GOG goes, TW2 has also lead to increased sales of TW1.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's doing roughly as well as the first one, nothing disappointing about that. I imagine it has the same deal, with the vast majority of those sales being from Russia, Poland, and Germany.

But those Steamtards sure are stupid, hope they enjoyed downloading the entire game again for their patches.

Sacculina

Educated
Don't a fair number of people purchase the console versions of mutli-platform titles (for convenience perhaps, I dunno) despite owning a capable PC? I don't know to what extent that might eat into the PC sales, but they do seem pitifully low for the BioWare titles compared to the success of The Witcher 2. It'd be interesting to see the break-up of Bethesda's titles for comparison.

I'm predicting that releasing a console version much later than the PC version will work out really well. Released at the same time, TW2 would have about 0 attention given to it from the console hordes. A PC release attaining really high scores (considering that they actually have to produce a good game to get them, unlike Bioware) means the chance of TW2 on the consoles being a dud is much lower.

attackfighter

Magister
relootz said:
made said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

.... Steam is much better known, are you getting lobotomized by your long stay at the codex made?

A million sounds good especially for a PC only title. Anyone got an idea how much Starcraft 2 sold?

(I know its RTS but still PC only too)

wikipedia : On August 3, 2010, Blizzard announced that StarCraft II sold more than one million units worldwide within one day of its release :o

StarCraft 2 sold a stupid amount, but it had nothing to do with the game's quality. I believe Blizz spent a couple hundred million on advertising and plus there's considerable brand appeal both with the StarCraft brand and Blizzard brand. StarCraft 1 sold something like 19 million copies (or was it 9 million... I can't remember) so it's no doubt that it's better marketed sequel is also going to do well.

The Witcher 2 otth didn't get a lot of advertising and it's brand appeal is pretty low (both The Witcher and CDProjektRED are pretty obscure, at least outside of Europe). SO all things considered it did pretty well.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Dicksmoker said:
Roguey said:
But those Steamtards sure are stupid, hope they enjoyed downloading the entire game again for their patches.
lolwhat? Please explain this.

For unknown reasons the first two patches on Steam were 9GB large. In fact, they were full downloads of patched version of the game. Butthurt ensued.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The Witcher 2 otth didn't get a lot of advertising "

Bullshit.

"it's brand appeal is pretty low (both The Witcher and CDProjektRED are pretty obscure, at least outside of Europe)."

Define pretty low.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
"it's brand appeal is pretty low (both The Witcher and CDProjektRED are pretty obscure, at least outside of Europe)."

Define pretty low.
The brand appeal is much lower than Dragon Age and Skyrim. And if you ask me to define much lower, then go and lobotomize yourself.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Roguey said:

I bought the game off steam because it was on sale and I got a free hat. Also, it's doing my own little thing to combat piracy. Check and mate.

Multi-headed Cow

And FUCK YEAH SKYRIMS has 228,000 people playing at once on release day Steam, so the actual sales numbers would be even higher. :yeah:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It'll sell better on its native console version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom