Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Chris Avellone Talks KOTOR2 Upgrades

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

In <a href=http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=31125&st=0>this thread</a>, Chris Avellone of Obsidian Entertainment talks about the company's plans to release a patch for their award winning bestseller, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords.
<br>
<blockquote>The patch is on the way, but still being tested. We won't have a list of all the fixes until it's ready to be downloaded, unfortunately.
<br>
<br>
I don't have an ETA on it yet, but it shouldn't be too much longer.
<br>
<br>
I couldn't give a reliable date - if I could, I would, but development never runs that smoothly.</blockquote>
<br>
He also goes on to discuss possible new content for the game.
<br>
<blockquote>It's a bug fix patch. We haven't heard back from LucasArts on doing a content patch. We asked some time ago, but they've been busy with the Episode III game, so no surprise there.
<br>
<br>
More info as we get it,
<br>
<br>
Chris</blockquote>
<br>
Let's hope they work on adding those missing endings back into the game.
<br>
<br>
Thanks for the heads up, <b>kumquatq3</b>.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
its lucasarts. id literally be shocked if they allowed obsidian to implement "extra content".

although this is one occasion where i hope im completely wrong. :wink:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Pffft.. Content patches. These guys don't deserve the free ride. OMG LOLZORS OMGOMGOMG!!!11!

OMG!

Surlent

Liturgist
Xpansion for KotR2 PC version would be perfect solution to the problem.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I actually do hope LucasArts finds that there's good things to be made in keeping your customers happy, but I'll be just as happy if the bugs gets fixed.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Yeah, putting the actual endings into the game is the one thing I would love beyond fixing the bugs. Other than that, the only thing they could do to make the game better is to completely rework the combat engine. :P

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Yeah, putting the actual endings into the game is the one thing I would love beyond fixing the bugs. Other than that, the only thing they could do to make the game better is to completely rework the combat engine. :P
A bigger NPC pool with more freedom in picking your crew would have been great. Or they could have added multiple paths to completing main objectives other than... YOU CAN WALK INTO THE OBVIOUS TRAP AND HAVE THE WOOKIE SAVE YOU OR MIRA SAVE YOU. SEE ITS TWO DIFFERENT GAMES LOL CAUSE YOU KNOW TWO DIFFERENT CHARACTERS COMPLETELY DEPENDING ON YOUR ALIGNMENT LOL AWESOME!! :roll:
They could have made the items better, they go so far as to make the item system randomly generated but then 99% of the items suck dong.
Atton and Kreia should have been dead.

Hopefully someone is working on KOTOR2.1 that I can plug action replay onto. Would probably make it crash though. Oh well. Fable 1.1 is pretty damn fun. Hell, you can already download the HK factory level save game. Not bad. Definitely shouldn't have been cut out.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Killzig said:
Hell, you can already download the HK factory level save game. Not bad. Definitely shouldn't have been cut out.

whaaaaa? Where?

dunduks

Liturgist
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Yeah, you can only get it in the Xbox version. The stuff for the PC version is there, it just needs to be reimplemented somehow.
Xbox save works perfectly for PC version, as for modules of HK factory that were cut out - those can be replaced by Xbox ones (can be downloaded also, if you want to edit or warp to them without the save) and also works perfectly for PC.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Killzig said:
[A bigger NPC pool with more freedom in picking your crew would have been great. Or they could have added multiple paths to completing main objectives other than...

Both of those are unlikely in a game with full VO dialogue. Too expensive.

YOU CAN WALK INTO THE OBVIOUS TRAP AND HAVE THE WOOKIE SAVE YOU OR MIRA SAVE YOU. SEE ITS TWO DIFFERENT GAMES LOL CAUSE YOU KNOW TWO DIFFERENT CHARACTERS COMPLETELY DEPENDING ON YOUR ALIGNMENT LOL AWESOME!!.

The really funny thing about that sequence is that it's not a trap. Goto doesn't have any problem with you at all. Which makes it kind of stupid that you blow up his yacht.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
I don't need full VO to enjoy my games. and if they can give me a replacement pilot with a barebones VO tree or an extra jedi or two using some of the existing NPCs in the game and their voice overs ... great. Better than being stuck with Atton and tempermental females like handmaiden. Say I'm playing dark lord of the sith exile and visas isj ust into that sort of thing, doesn't take very long for handmaiden to decide she never wants to speak to you again. Why can't I eject her out in space some where?

I thought of it as payback for sending all the bounty hunters after you. You can afford to knock the stuffing out of low level bounty hunters, he can afford a new yacht.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Too little; too late.

"They were given a year to make it. Think you could have done better? Didn't think so."

Maybe; maybe not. However, I didn't accept the contract to develop the game within that time frame so I'm under no obligation to do so.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
given a year and they pretty much recycled a premade engine and managed to make it worse. that really doesn't speak well of obsidian's technical abilities. hopefully they can use this period of feeding off of bioware's scraps to find themselves some decent programmers.

dunduks

Liturgist
Killzig said:
I thought of it as payback for sending all the bounty hunters after you. You can afford to knock the stuffing out of low level bounty hunters, he can afford a new yacht.
G0t0 was the only character I really wanted to kill and I hate the fact you cant dump or kill your party members. Also the discrepancies with the influence system feels very weird, I think this describes it best:
170.jpg

MarFish

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Too little; too late.

"They were given a year to make it. Think you could have done better? Didn't think so."

Maybe; maybe not. However, I didn't accept the contract to develop the game within that time frame so I'm under no obligation to do so.

I think they did fairly well. If they manage to patch the game and establish a "Obsidian cares for their games" theme, they will not take damage from this. This however could be tricky, because of Lucas Arts who probably don't give a shit about patches -- even KotOR I got like 2 patches and then no more and if Bioware has trouble getting approval for patches, I don't think Obsidian will fare much better there, especially since LA already kind of established how much they care with the 12 month development cycle for KotOR II.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"KotOR I got like 2 patches"

Interetsing. Everyone else got three patches.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I think Lucas Art will care about this game, since the Franchise represents a lot of money for them. I suspect they have already signed Obsidiean to do KotOR III, to be released just in time for next year's Christmas rush. Whether that means patches or not, maybe some of the worse bugs will be taken care of, but not anything major like adding the ending originally planned. That would be a major admission of Christmas money grab guilt. Just some random thoughts to float out of my head.

Jed

Cipher
I have an nvidia card. I've had bugs galore, including (but by no means limited to) disappearing "tool tips," three CTDs, and a glorious corrupted save game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom