Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News NWN Beta Patch 1.66

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: BioWare; Neverwinter Nights

<a href=http://www.bioware.com>Bioware</a> has released Beta Patch 1.66 for their RPG Neverwinter Nights and all of its expansions. It is available <a href=http://nwn.bioware.com/support/patch.html>here</a>.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Wait, they are releasing a "Beta" patch? I thought patches were to fix the bugs, not something that needed more playtesting. I think Bioware is dropping the ball on this one. Can't they do their own QA?

MarFish

Liturgist
Greatatlantic said:
Wait, they are releasing a "Beta" patch? I thought patches were to fix the bugs, not something that needed more playtesting. I think Bioware is dropping the ball on this one. Can't they do their own QA?

They always release beta patches, nothing new here. Considering that NWN is nearly 3 years old and that Atari probably doesn't care with their QA anymore (if they have any), I guess they only have bare bone QA to test those patches, so it makes sense to run a beta to discover issues not found in house. Plus it allows server operators to update their modules in time for the patch.

Besides, better a beta patch with the real deal coming later than a community patch and no real deal coming at all.

It might be popular to bash Bioware on a lot of things around here, but I don't think you are going to score a lot of l33t points for bashing them for their patch cycle - only Blizzard tops that.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Are you trying to be funny? Because really, you're not. Bioware always releases the beta patches prior to the proper releases. This isn't anything new.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Exitium said:
Are you trying to be funny? Because really, you're not. Bioware always releases the beta patches prior to the proper releases. This isn't anything new.

Yeah, I was going for unadultered sarcasm. I guess I didn't pull it off well enough. Must be the late hour, or early depending on which way you look. Though, I have never heard of a company releasing beta patches, and I own NWN! I guess thats what I get for only playing it once three months. Though, wasn't NWN self financed? Isn't that why Bioware can release patches on whim with out Atari's approval? I really don't pay Bioware's corporate affairs that much mind.

MarFish

Liturgist
Greatatlantic said:
. Though, wasn't NWN self financed? Isn't that why Bioware can release patches on whim with out Atari's approval? I really don't pay Bioware's corporate affairs that much mind.

What would self financed have to do with the ability to do patches. Any product that is used under a license requires approval from all parties involved for things like patches. Atari owns the NWN franchise (or maybe WotC), so it is likely that they have to approve anything BioWare does. However, I don't think they would mind if BioWare said "hey, we want to patch this and we'll finance the patch on our own". Of course, if it was Troika, I'm sure Atari would say "patch it? Screw you! Just Cause".

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Greatatlantic said:
Wait, they are releasing a "Beta" patch? I thought patches were to fix the bugs, not something that needed more playtesting.

Don't forget that their patches are as much about delivering new content as they are for fixing bugs in prior content.

I don't think there is anything wrong with what they are doing - there are a wealth of fan-made modules/content and it makes sense that the fanbase would be the best bug-testers to spot module/content-killing bugs that are introduced.
Besides which, the people that the new content is primarily aimed at (i.e. the module makers and modders) would be honoured to participate (and the players of said modules by extension).

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Yeah, I see nothing wrong with what Bioware is doing, I was going for sarcastic... Its not something thats easy to pull off in online forums, however. I guess I should have added some l337-speak to make it really obvious, not that it would have been any funnier. Oh well, thats what i get for posting two hours after my "bedtime".

Fez

Erudite
It adds extra jiggletechâ„¢, Bioware ain't going to be outdone by no stinkin' Troika! LET THE BOOBS FLOW FREELY!

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Fez said:
It adds extra jiggletechâ„¢, Bioware ain't going to be outdone by no stinkin' Troika! LET THE BOOBS FLOW FREELY!

Tell me you are joking, the last thing that game needs is another excuse for 14 year olds to play dress up with digital dolls.

MarFish

Liturgist
Greatatlantic said:
Fez said:

Tell me you are joking, the last thing that game needs is another excuse for 14 year olds to play dress up with digital dolls.

Try Bloodlines, they got individually animated boobs that defy the laws of gravity...

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Oh yeah, I've played more Bloodlines than any other game this past year, and thats saying a lot. I suppose I should be bothered by them, but the way Troika does it, it comes off as a salute to geek culture. Plus, they never seem gratuitous, but thats a very subjective standard. And in the case of Jeanette, they actually give the character a back story for how she dresses and looks.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
just checked the listed fixes in the patch. since im not a modder, it doesnt do much for me (only a couple of very minor additions to the actual game).

Avin

Liturgist
you gotta admire BIO for releasing these patches. troika should have made the same.

AlanC9

Liturgist
NeverwinterKnight said:
just checked the listed fixes in the patch. since im not a modder, it doesnt do much for me (only a couple of very minor additions to the actual game).

Except for fixing that collision detection problem -- the one that caused several creatures to be able to stand at the same coordinates. (Someone put in a bad arithmetic operator a couple of patches ago and fried the distance-checking code).

The zero-action feat thing is huge. The biggest problem with implementing a better command system was that you had to put all custom feats into the PC's action queue.

Minstrel

Novice
The amount of new content (art work related) that Bioware has released via patch since the last expansion (December 03) has been laughable. Yes I realize that there are a number of groups who are developing new material and have been doing some for a long time now. Bioware will continue to patch this game until their Dragon Age comes out and they can move their customers from NWN to that game. My prediction is that all of this new content that is/has been done is being held until NWN2 comes on line and then the flood gates will open. :hahano: The last thing Bioware needs is to lose their NWN customers to NWN2.

Minstrel

MarFish

Liturgist
Minstrel said:
The amount of new content (art work related) that Bioware has released via patch since the last expansion (December 03) has been laughable. Yes I realize that there are a number of groups who are developing new material and have been doing some for a long time now. Bioware will continue to patch this game until their Dragon Age comes out and they can move their customers from NWN to that game. My prediction is that all of this new content that is/has been done is being held until NWN2 comes on line and then the flood gates will open. :hahano: The last thing Bioware needs is to lose their NWN customers to NWN2.

Minstrel

That sounds like a weird idea, especially since they are hosting the NWN2 forums. As far as I can see is that they have a pretty good relationship with Obsidian, so why would they screw them over? (Especially considering that Obsidian is probably paying engine royalties for NWN2 sales)

Through I agree with you on that their reason for their continued patches is that they want to retain customers for future products. It's called post release support and patching for any other reason than to keep customers coming back and happy would be stupid.

Minstrel

Novice
The NWN2 forums where originally hosted by Obsidian until they where moved to the Bioware site. This is good for Bioware because they benefit from having their name associated with NWN2 even though they aren't doing anything on the product. The expectation is that Dragon Age will probably be released a year after NWN2 comes out (with NWN2 expected to be coming out in the next 12-18 months). Right now the NWN community is splintering between NWN2 and Dragon Age. To move as many people as possible to Dragon Age Bioware needs to release enough content to keep people playing NWN 1 until Dragon Age comes out. Since NWN2 is going to have super mod capabilities there is a good chance if a customer gets locked into NWN2 they won't be coming over to Dragon Age especially if Obsidian treats NWN2 like a franchise product and starts grinding out expansion content. I don't think its an issue about whether or not Bioware and Obsidian get along it just comes down to trying to maximize their business model at Bioware. So everyone keep your eyes open for that massive flood of new content! :lol:

Minstrel

MarFish

Liturgist
Minstrel said:
This is good for Bioware because they benefit from having their name associated with NWN2
Minstrel

I'd be not so sure about the "good for them" part (apart from engine royalties, of course), I think KotOR I was quite a bit better received than the rushed KoTOR II and NWN2 could be another rusher as well...

In fact, I think as the state of the current RPG market is, Bioware probably does not need ot have their name associated with anyone, it's probably more the other way around. Have you seen the KotOR II box? The huge sticker?

sequel
to
the

GAME OF THE
YEAR

2003!!!

Plus, I doubt it's as you say that people will decide for one product and don't touch the other one. You don't get married to software or games, you buy the few PC RPGs that are around unless you have a severe aversion against the company producing it (i.e. because they tend to release buggy games) or the genre or license (i.e. Star Wars).

AlanC9

Liturgist
Agreed. I don't know how the modding community will break down between NWN 2 and DA, but a majority of RPG players will buy both games. The financial consequences will be seen later, with expansions and DD content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom